Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nailed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2020
Hi
I got my first Mac a few days ago coming from Windows / Linux. After using it for a few days I decided to wipe and re-install as I had a better idea of what software and how I wanted to use iCloud and Google services etc.

After erasing the disk and installing from recovery it was fine but all the previously installed apps etc was still there. That’s when I learned about removing the additional data partition. So I deleted it, erased the disk and tried installing from recovery. But it fails after a few hours “An error occurred installing macOS”.

I have attached photos of the error and what disk utility shows after the.

I have read some fixes for issues and have set the date via terminal, reset the NVRAM and something else starting with a S.

Any assistance is appreciated.

EDIT - Was an Apple bug which has now been resolved :D

Attachments

• 082A2548-FF75-4270-BB3D-584AFACF1469.jpeg
    082A2548-FF75-4270-BB3D-584AFACF1469.jpeg
    333 KB · Views: 238
  • C885633F-46CF-4B06-A574-BA64AF5A4A81.jpeg
    C885633F-46CF-4B06-A574-BA64AF5A4A81.jpeg
    314.7 KB · Views: 129
  • EE61F5E7-020E-4ED3-8F8B-3358BA2B0358.jpeg
    EE61F5E7-020E-4ED3-8F8B-3358BA2B0358.jpeg
    341.3 KB · Views: 139
  • 3F790B83-1079-4B9B-BDD1-EB3F6507CDEC.jpeg
    3F790B83-1079-4B9B-BDD1-EB3F6507CDEC.jpeg
    340.3 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Screen Shot 2020-08-05 at 8.28.01 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-08-05 at 8.27.55 AM.png

Go back to command-option-r Internet recovery, then is Disk Util set it to show all devices. Then select the drive itself like Apple SSD in my example, then erase the drive to APFS/GUID and try the reinstall again.

Reactions: Nailed

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
While in Recovery Mode, in Disk Utility, click on View->Show All Devices, select the top listed device on the left side panel (this is the physical drive device). Now perform the erase as APFS.

Nailed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2020
While in Recovery Mode, in Disk Utility, click on View->Show All Devices, select the top listed device on the left side panel (this is the physical drive device). Now perform the erase as APFS.

Unfortunately it didn’t work. Same error.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Unfortunately it didn’t work. Same error.

Try erasing the drive as Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

If that does not work, try resetting PRAM and then do the install from Recovery Mode. Wasn't clear if you have tried this yet.

Last edited:

Nailed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2020
Try erasing the drive as Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

If that does not work, try resetting PRAM and then do the install from Recovery Mode. Wasn't clear if you have tried this yet.

I’ve already done the reset with no luck, will try the different file system (nothing to loose)

GeeDuhb

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2009
Hi
I got my first Mac a few days ago coming from Windows / Linux. After using it for a few days I decided to wipe and re-install as I had a better idea of what software and how I wanted to use iCloud and Google services etc.

After erasing the disk and installing from recovery it was fine but all the previously installed apps etc was still there. That’s when I learned about removing the additional data partition. So I deleted it, erased the disk and tried installing from recovery. But it fails after a few hours “An error occurred installing macOS”.

I have attached photos of the error and what disk utility shows after the.

I have read some fixes for issues and have set the date via terminal, reset the NVRAM and something else starting with a S.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Unfortunately I have this issue as well, except it is with about 20 machines deployed to users who can't use them at the moment. I called and sat on hold with Apple Support last night for over an hour and they told me it was a known issue, but couldn't provide a time table for this to get fixed (The woman said it would not be "days" but just kept saying "soon"). Apple broke something yesterday, because this was not an issue until yesterday morning for us. (We had users wiping the drive and then reinstalling via recovery for 4 days before this...long story, but it is business/MDM related...)

Anyway, sorry I can't give you any good news, but at least know it isn't due to anything you did wrong. I think at this point, we just have to wait for Apple to fix it on their end.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I’ve already done the reset with no luck, will try the different file system (nothing to loose)

The last thing I can suggest is downloading the full 10.15.6 installer, create a USB bootable of the installer. Boot to the USB installer and install from that.

Nailed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2020
Anyway, sorry I can't give you any good news, but at least know it isn't due to anything you did wrong. I think at this point, we just have to wait for Apple to fix it on their end.

Thanks for the info. So we wait.

Also just for info it wouldn’t allow me to install on any but the default file system.

Nailed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2020
The last thing I can suggest is downloading the full 10.15.6 installer, create a USB bootable of the installer. Boot to the USB installer and install from that.

I don’t have access to a working Mac at the moment ?

GeeDuhb

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2009

Apparently a physical boot of the installer doesn't work either (at least after connecting to the internet.) From the looks of it, is seems like someone mistyped the minimum software requirement for the version of BridgeOS running on the T2 chip. It seems to be failing because of that.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Apparently a physical boot of the installer doesn't work either (at least after connecting to the internet.) From the looks of it, is seems like someone mistyped the minimum software requirement for the version of BridgeOS running on the T2 chip. It seems to be failing because of that.
This should be working now, Apple removed the build that was causing the problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.