Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

maverick786us

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2012
Columbus, GA
I just bought a refurbished Samsung T7 SSD. I formatted it using my MacBook. When I connect it with my iPhone 15 Pro Max, I can transfer files and access media in the SSD. But in Camera Mode when I select ProRes mode. I get error message, of ProRes not supported. In camera It doesn't show USB-C.

What could be the problem? Is it because of the cable? T7 SSD doesn't come with USB -C 3.2 cable

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Swap the cable as the first troubleshooting step. Compliant cable don't get cheap. You need a good cable to enable high speed transfer.

Also if your T7 SSD doesn't have high transfer speed to begin with, you may not be able to use it to record ProRes Video. This can happen a lot with those enclosure SSD with not so great controller or subpar NAND chips (for high speed read/write application that is).

Another possible reason is you are not formatting the drive as APFS.

Reactions: maverick786us

maverick786us

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2012
Columbus, GA
What is APFS? These are the only option I see while erasing.

Screenshot 2024-01-09 at 19.37.25.png

maverick786us

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2012
Columbus, GA
That’s interesting. Idk why Apple doesn’t show APFS option. It should, whether the speed is good or not.
APFS is Apple’s latest proprietary filesystem used in macOS since I think Catalina.
You can try out Mac OS extended. It should also work.
Speed is based on the quality of the cable? How do I determine its quality? Its the stock cable that came shipped with the SSD

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Speed is based on the quality of the cable? How do I determine its quality? Its the stock cable that came shipped with the SSD
Speed is based on four major factors.
The quality of the NAND chip, the quality of the controllers. The quality of the cable and the port that you plug into.

For your Samsung T7, NAND chip and controllers both are good. Built in cable should be fine, I think. Port on your iPhone 15 pro max is good.

As for how to determine their quality, checking and reading reviews is the most realistic way to judge. Professional reviewers can access a range of testing suite and equipment to determine the quality, but that’s overkill for normal users.

Reactions: maverick786us

gwang73

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2009
California
You just have to setup the settings correctly for APFS to show.

Select the right device (not the volume) in Disk Utility. Sonoma displays drives a bit more complicated than before by showing the device and its volumes. (If you don't see the same view as my screenshot, then click on View in the menubar and click Show All Devices.

Change the Scheme to GUID Partition

Once you change the Scheme, APFS options will appear.

Remember that APFS is Apple proprietary and won't work on other machines. I mostly format my external drives as ExFAT for cross platform compatibility.

Screenshot 2024-01-10 at 6.00.28 PM.png

maverick786us

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2012
Columbus, GA
You just have to setup the settings correctly for APFS to show.

Select the right device (not the volume) in Disk Utility. Sonoma displays drives a bit more complicated than before by showing the device and its volumes. (If you don't see the same view as my screenshot, then click on View in the menubar and click Show All Devices.

Change the Scheme to GUID Partition

Once you change the Scheme, APFS options will appear.

Remember that APFS is Apple proprietary and won't work on other machines. I mostly format my external drives as ExFAT for cross platform compatibility.

View attachment 2335186

Thanks I will give it a try. With Apple file system. Can android device read the contents? I am not worried about writing into the SSD from some android device, just for the purpose of reading and copying it into the Android Devices

budgy

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2023
I couldn't get USB-C to appear for me at first and thought my SSD or USB cable was not of sufficient speed, but it turns out I wasn't do the right things.

Are you, in the camera app, going to Video and then in the top left activating ProRes HDR? That's what I wasn't doing, and I was expecting USB-C to just appear at the bottom of the camera app when my SSD was connected.

Last edited:

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
Good job, everyone, the steps are all here. I’ll help by putting them together.

Apple said:

Record ProRes files to an external storage device​

With an iPhone 15 Pro or iPhone 15 Pro Max, you can connect an external storage device with USB-C to store or record your ProRes files directly on an external storage device. Here are a few things to keep in mind:

• Your external storage device must be formatted with APFS or exFAT. Password-encrypted drives aren't supported.
  • Use a USB 3 cable with speed of at least 10 Gbits per second.
  • Your external storage device must write at speeds of at least 220 MB per second. If you attach a slower external storage device, you might get a Slow Recording Speed message.

When formatting the drive, ensure you choose the GUID Partition Map scheme — that goes for formatting in either APFS or ExFAT file system.

Lastly:

Apple said:

Set up ProRes​

To set up ProRes, go to Settings
88b2400e45bcf521514b7252cbb2d959.png
> Camera > Formats, then turn on Apple ProRes.

Record a video with ProRes​

1. Open Camera, select Video mode, then tap
    the ProRes Off button
    to turn ProRes on.
  2. Tap the Record button or press either volume button to start recording.
  3. Tap the Record button or press either volume button to stop recording.
  4. Tap
    the ProRes On button
    when you want to turn off ProRes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.