Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

S Cee

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2020
Northeast England
Hi, I have a 6 months old iPhone SE. I have recently realised that I cannot send mail via my iCloud account. Receiving mail fine.

I use gmail on my phone and can send and receiving mail fine with that.

I believe that my issue was present before I updated to iOS 14.3 last night.

I get the window, Cannot send Mail. The connection to the outgoing server "smtp.gmail.com" failed. Additional outgoing mail servers can be configured for mail accounts in settings>accounts & passwords.

Can someone point me in the right direction to sort this problem please.

I have done searches on other platforms but haven't had any success.

Thanks Steve

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Looks like there is an issue sending via gmail. You could try to remove and re-add your gmail account.

Reactions: S Cee

S Cee

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2020
Northeast England
I removed my gmail account from my iPhone only. Then sent a mail from my iCloud mail address and it was received on my other devices. That I could not do before.
I then reinstalled my gmail address on the iPhone and that just brought me back to my original problem.
So my gmail account seems to be my issue.
So something recently has been altered or corrupted.

Any suggestion as to what it could be or perhaps a work around. I would really like to run my 2 email address from my phone.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I don’t use gmail on my iPhone but maybe there are additional steps required to make it work with the stock app. Alternatively you could try gmail with their own app but of course you’ll end up with two email apps then.

Reactions: S Cee

S Cee

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2020
Northeast England
Will give that a go and report back.

Its annoying because I have had no issues for months. So for myself something has changed.

S Cee

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2020
Northeast England
I don’t use gmail on my iPhone but maybe there are additional steps required to make it work with the stock app. Alternatively you could try gmail with their own app but of course you’ll end up with two email apps then.
Well ericwn, you have guided me on a path to resolve my issue .

I installed the gmail app from the App Store. I then had the intention of deleting my original gmail account. No point in having 2 mail accounts I thought.
But I did a test send and my original gmail account and iCloud account now work. It seems the addition of the gmail app has installed something that has corrected the incoming mail problem.

Thanks for taking the time out to reply ?

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Happy to hear you can end the year with working email accounts, glad you got it going.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.