Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dottor.no

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2008

Hello everybody.
I am italian (and sorry for my english)
I ask for your help in solving a very delicate problem for me. I try to correctly list the problem and what I was able to do.
The machine is a Mac Mini I5 OSX Mojave

1) When the Mac starts up, the apple appears, the system starts to load, the bar increases but at some point everything turns off
2) I create a bootable key with Osx Mojave and, starting the mac from this, I access the disk utility
3) I check the disk and the following error appears "The file system check exit code is 8"
4) I read around and one solution is to reinstall Osx
5) Using the key I try to reinstall everything. The first part proceeds correctly then, when it restarts to complete the work, everything crashes and tells me that it is not possible to install OSx
6) I create a clone of my mac with CCCopy and restart the Mac Mini from this "clone"
7) I tried CMD + S and do FSCK but it gives me no problem

At this point I can access the hard disk of the Mac Mini (which is seen ..)
However, the user folders that I have to recover all appear with the access prohibition symbol; if I double click it tells me that I do not have the privileges
I click the right button, information, and using the password I unlock the padlock but in any case I am told that I do not have the privileges to change the accesses.

The question is, how can I fix the problem?
Is there any way to recover the user folder directly?
Thanks for your help​

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
" I create a clone of my mac with CCCopy and restart the Mac Mini from this "clone"
7) I tried CMD + S and do FSCK but it gives me no problem
At this point I can access the hard disk of the Mac Mini (which is seen ..)

However, the user folders that I have to recover all appear with the access prohibition symbol; if I double click it tells me that I do not have the privileges"

I'll try to help.

You are saying you have cloned the internal to an external drive and can now boot from the EXTERNAL drive?

That's ok, booting from the external drive isn't the problem.

You have to "overcome" the permissions problems.

How to do this:
1. Boot from the EXTERNAL drive, get to the finder.
2. Let the icon for the INTERNAL drive mount on the desktop (do not open it)
3. Click ONE TIME on the icon for the internal drive
4. Bring up the "get info" box for it (type command-i)
5. At the bottom of get info, click the lock and enter your password (the one you are using for the external boot drive)
6. Put a checkmark into "ignore ownership on this volume" (sharing and permissions)
7. Close get info

NOW try copying items from your home folder on the internal drive to the external drive.
Does this go any better?

IMPORTANT TO KNOW:
You CANNOT copy "the top level of folders" in the home folder.
This means, you cannot copy the folders named documents, movies, music, pictures, etc.
HOWEVER -- you CAN copy everything that is INSIDE OF these folders.
So... you could copy your iTunes music folder if you want, or your "Photos Library".

When you do the "get info" trick above, all the items you copy will "come under the ownership" of your account on the external drive.

BE AWARE that even though you may use the same username and password on the external drive, the Mac may see the two accounts as "different" because they're on different drives. That's why you need to do the get info trick above.

dottor.no

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2008
I do this but the problem is that the folder have the red symbol.
Is not possible to do nothing.
I open the HD... but the user folder are locked.

What i see is that the application folder and library folder in internal Hd are missed..
That are one user folder; about user folder of internal drive, i have name and password to unlock but i not able to do nothing.

There are software that can extract the file ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.