Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Navigator98

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2011
Yesterday I read BigBoss announced it would be a good time to upgrade my iPad 4 (which is still running the original iOS 6.0.1) to iOS 7.0.4 because when Apple releases iOS 7.1, I might not be able to update to a jailbroken iOS 7.x at all... (because Apple stops signing 7.0.4 then)

But, here's the problem...

Since I bought my iPad back in July 2013, I have never been able to backup it or sync it with iTunes on my Mac. When I plug it in, iTunes seems to start syncing the device, but then it gets stuck at "Backing up"

backing%20up.png

It stays there for about one minute, and then the following error comes up:

connection%20reset.png

But, when I open iTunes -> Preferences -> Devices (from the status bar), it does seem like it created a backup entry for my device, although this cannot be possible, because the 'backup' process took about 10 seconds and then gave me an error...

device%20preferences.png

I thought this issue might be caused by a jailbreak tweak on my iPad, so here's a list of the tweaks I have installed:

Software Update Killer
Barrel
Winterboard
Bridge
ProTube
CrashReporter
Safari Download Manager
Blutrol
FakeCarrier
iCleaner
Activator
SBSettings
AppInfo
iFile
Terminal Emulator
Gawk
iTransmission
f.lux
Auxo
emojiPad
Grooveshark
LabelSlider
IPA Installer
MapsOpener
Plugication
xCon
FullForce
LinkSafe
BatteryInfo for Notification Center

So yeah, this might seem like quite a list, and probably not all apps will be compatible with iOS 7 (yet), but I'd really like to keep most of these, so I am gonna give PkgBackup a try after I fix this syncing issue...

FYI I am running OS X 10.9.1 on a late 2009 iMac, with the latest iTunes version and all updates installed. The iPad is the 4th generation 64GB LTE (GSM) model...

Any help is very much appreciated! Thanks in advance :)

Espeonia

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2013
Can you sync in safe mode (or pre-safe mode; boot while holding volume up)?
Is it set to sync over wifi?

curiosity

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2013
I can't help with the backup issues but I got an iPad 4 on iOS 7 and all I can advise is to stick with iOS 6, in your case 6.01. The iPad 4 is noticeable slower now. Choppy scrolling, 4-Finger-Pinch to close is buggy. iOS 7.04 is not a good version if you can't upgrade (nor downgrade) which is most probably what will happen for jailbreak users.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
In my opinion, your best option would be to do a backup to iCloud and do a restore as new from either Recovery Mode or DFU Mode. Many tweaks have not been updated to support iOS 7 or newer underlying frameworks like the newest Mobile Substrate. If you tried to restore that backup you may very well end up having vast amounts of issues. So do the iCloud Backup, restore to iOS 7, restore backup from iCloud, and then reload all jailbreak software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.