Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RumoredMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2016
So I installed double helix tethered jailbreak on my 10.3.3 iPad mini one month ago. But now the JB apps, cydia and games crash whenever I try to open them. Also there is no option to delete cydia and other apps. How to delete these?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
So I installed double helix tethered jailbreak on my 10.3.3 iPad mini one month ago. But now the JB apps, cydia and games crash whenever I try to open them. Also there is no option to delete cydia and other apps. How to delete these?
There is never an option to delete Cydia.

If you want to delete Cydia it implies you want to remove your jailbreak. Since Cydia allows you to install JB tweaks and apps there is no point in deleting it and remaining jailbroken unless you intend to do any tweak installing in some other more difficult way.

So, I am going to assume you want to remove your jailbreak (which will remove Cydia).

1. Backup, either to iCloud or iTunes. I'd use iTunes if you want to retain everything including passwords.
2. Sign out of iCloud and all services requiring an Apple ID (Facetime, iMessages, App store, etc)
3. Turn off iPhone.
4. Connect iPhone to computer that has latest version of iTunes.
5. Open iTunes.
6. Put iPhone in DFU Mode (Google it, it's out there). Doing this will turn the iPhone on. You are properly in DFU Mode when the end result is a blank screen.
7. iTunes will detect an iPhone in recover mode.
8. Upgrade and restore as new through iTunes.
9. When done, use iTunes (or iCloud) to restore from your backup.

The jailbreak will be completely wiped and Cydia will be gone.

RumoredMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2016
Hmm, I dont actually want to delete cydia. But I want it to work atleast, which it doesnt. Whenever I click cydia, it does not open. I believe this is somethign related to tethered JB which I did. Is there a way to reenable cydia & therefore JB ?

RumoredMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2016
There is never an option to delete Cydia.

If you want to delete Cydia it implies you want to remove your jailbreak. Since Cydia allows you to install JB tweaks and apps there is no point in deleting it and remaining jailbroken unless you intend to do any tweak installing in some other more difficult way.

So, I am going to assume you want to remove your jailbreak (which will remove Cydia).

1. Backup, either to iCloud or iTunes. I'd use iTunes if you want to retain everything including passwords.
2. Sign out of iCloud and all services requiring an Apple ID (Facetime, iMessages, App store, etc)
3. Turn off iPhone.
4. Connect iPhone to computer that has latest version of iTunes.
5. Open iTunes.
6. Put iPhone in DFU Mode (Google it, it's out there). Doing this will turn the iPhone on. You are properly in DFU Mode when the end result is a blank screen.
7. iTunes will detect an iPhone in recover mode.
8. Upgrade and restore as new through iTunes.
9. When done, use iTunes (or iCloud) to restore from your backup.

The jailbreak will be completely wiped and Cydia will be gone.

How to do step 8? I am on 10.3.3 but this step will lead to restore onto latest version 11.4 (which I dont want. I want to remain on 10.3.3)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
How to do step 8? I am on 10.3.3 but this step will lead to restore onto latest version 11.4 (which I dont want. I want to remain on 10.3.3)
You didn't read the part above those instructions.

It says --> "So, I am going to assume you want to remove your jailbreak (which will remove Cydia)."

If you want to stay on the same firmware, then these instructions are not for you.

Look into Cydia Eraser or Semi-Restore. Neither of those I have used so I can't help there in how to use them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.