Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

149TM

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2020
Hi just bought a Mac Pro, 5,1 (2012) model.

I'm running Mac os High Sierra 10.13 and downloaded Mojave.

I've done some search to update the firmware on the Mac pro but getting an error which I don't understand.

When I click the installer I get this error?
installing macos mojave on this mac requires that all graphics cards have metal support.

Do I need a metal GPU for the firmware update, please can someone advise what are the options.

Many Thanks

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Hi just bought a Mac Pro, 5,1 (2012) model.

I'm running Mac os High Sierra 10.13 and downloaded Mojave.

I've done some search to update the firmware on the Mac pro but getting an error which I don't understand.

When I click the installer I get this error?
installing macos mojave on this mac requires that all graphics cards have metal support.

Do I need a metal GPU for the firmware update, please can someone advise what are the options.

Many Thanks
Please read the first post of the stickie thread below. There are several pitfalls with MacPro5,1 firmware upgrade and completely different requirements depending on you current firmware version that you need to know before hand. GPUs are there too.

Last edited:
Reactions: 149TM

149TM

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2020
I have the BootROM MP51.0089.B00 already installed.

Borrowed a friends Windows Radeon PULSE RX 580 8GB.

Still getting the error the same error.

The GPU is recognised as metal?

What am I doing wrong, what do I need to do next?

As per your guide should I try this?
If nothing above works for you, or you use a macOS version earlier than El Capitan, or your Mac Pro have a BootROM earlier than MP51.0089.B00, try this:

Many Thanks in advance

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Yes.

Please pay attention on all the notes, there are several pitfalls that you don't see initially, like APFS/DP1.2/PCIe SATA.

If you still have doubts, ask there.

149TM

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2020
Struggling to burn the 10.12 to USB, get this error:
/Volumes/ErasedUSBVolumeName is not a valid volume mount point.

Please advise.

Thank you

149TM

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2020
Managed to get the installer working.

1. Download 10.12.6, and later 10.13.6, current installer(s) from the Mac App Store. DONE
  2. Use createinstallmedia to create a Sierra USB key installer.
  3. Shutdown your Mac Pro and remove all PCIe cards except your Mac EFI GPU. DONE
  4. Clear your Mac Pro SMC and NVRAM - clear NVRAM 3 times sequentially. DONE
  5. Remove all disks except the one that you will do a clean install of 10.12.6. DONE
  6. Power on your Mac Pro and do a clean install of 10.12.6. DONE
  7. After 10.12.6 is installed, download the High Sierra 10.13.6 full Mac App Store installer and open it (yes, you will upgrade Sierra to High Sierra don't do a clean install). The High Sierra installer will then ask you to perform a firmware update, shutdown your Mac Pro and do it. Download High Sierra installer from the Mac App Store,
  8. Use createinstallmedia to create a USB key installer of High Sierra, power off your Mac Pro. DONE
  9. Power on your Mac Pro, boot from the createinstallmedia USB-key and do a clean install of 10.13.6 - always do clean installs. DONE
  10. After 10.13.6 is installed, shutdown your Mac Pro and replace your original GPU with a Metal supported one.

Stuck at this stage?

Is the Radeon RX 580 PC version – not accepted?

Is this card a problem, do I need another card with mac efi?

Thanks

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016

1. Download 10.12.6, and later 10.13.6, current installer(s) from the Mac App Store. DONE
  3. Shutdown your Mac Pro and remove all PCIe cards except your Mac EFI GPU. DONE
  5. Remove all disks except the one that you will do a clean install of 10.12.6. DONE
  7. After 10.12.6 is installed, download the High Sierra 10.13.6 full Mac App Store installer and open it (yes, you will upgrade Sierra to High Sierra don't do a clean install). The High Sierra installer will then ask you to perform a firmware update, shutdown your Mac Pro and do it. Download High Sierra installer from the Mac App Store,
  8. Use createinstallmedia to create a USB key installer of High Sierra, power off your Mac Pro. DONE
  9. Power on your Mac Pro, boot from the createinstallmedia USB-key and do a clean install of 10.13.6 - always do clean installs. DONE
  10. After 10.13.6 is installed, shutdown your Mac Pro and replace your original GPU with a Metal supported one.

Stuck at this stage?

Thanks
Mojave requires a METAL supported GPU, AMD RX 580 is one, don't matter if it's a Mac Edition GPU at all.

Please read the full post again.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK

Stuck at this stage?

Thanks
Do you have another GPU in your mac, if so you need to remove it if is not metal compatible.

Reactions: 149TM

149TM

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2020
Thank you, the 2nd GPU was the issue.

All worked like a charm, now fully up to date ROM.

Thanks again.

Reactions: MarkC426
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.