Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aligak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
I have a late 2009 / early 2010 model iMac with core i5 CPU. I'm trying to upgrade from OSX 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) to 10.10 (Yosemite). When I try upgrading in the App Store, nothing happens. I restarted my computer, have no apps running, and select "GET" for Yosemite in the App Store application, and nothing happens. The button is I selectable after I click it, but nothing happens. I can't select it again without reloading the page, but the download never begins. I get no error message or anything. It's not a browser issue as I tried launching the App Store from Safari and Chrome. I've also checked the Yosemite requirements page and all iMac from 2007 onward can be upgraded. 10.6.8 is the oldest OS which can be upgraded and that's what I'm using. Can someone please help? Thanks.

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
Have you tried looking in the Applications folder as that's where it will end up when the download is complete.

jawsh

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2014
I have a late 2009 / early 2010 model iMac with core i5 CPU. I'm trying to upgrade from OSX 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) to 10.10 (Yosemite). When I try upgrading in the App Store, nothing happens. I restarted my computer, have no apps running, and select "GET" for Yosemite in the App Store application, and nothing happens. The button is I selectable after I click it, but nothing happens. I can't select it again without reloading the page, but the download never begins. I get no error message or anything. It's not a browser issue as I tried launching the App Store from Safari and Chrome. I've also checked the Yosemite requirements page and all iMac from 2007 onward can be upgraded. 10.6.8 is the oldest OS which can be upgraded and that's what I'm using. Can someone please help? Thanks.

I am having this same problem with a 2008 Mac Pro 3,1. It won't let me download any other apps either. Same thing happens to me, when I click "GET" as well it just depresses and nothing occurs. My app store is version 1.0.2. I am also running Snow Leopard 10.6.8. I would also really appreciate the help!

Thanks.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I just tried booting into Snow Leopard, and then the App Store - and I can't get any response to start ANY downloads. It's like the App Store is just ignoring any download attempts, not just Yosemite. Booted to a Lion system that I have, and App Store appears to completely work.

Right now, in Snow Leopard, I can click on Yosemite in App Store (or anything else, not just an OS X download) and the Download icon simply greys out, and nothing else happens. I let it sit for several minutes - and the App Store seemed to not do anything at all - no downloads started anywhere, and it just sits.
Restarted my Mac a couple of times, and no change, no other response. Must be some glitch in Apple's servers. You might try later today - or tomorrow.

aligak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
It seems I'm unBle to download any apps from the App Store. I'm not sure when this problem started as I haven't downloaded an app from the App Store in a long time. Apple stopped support and security updates to Snow Leopard back in April of this year, so my computer could have some sort of malware since then causing this problem.

So, I'm now downloading Yosemite through an "alternative resource". It's slow, but we'll see what happens....

aligak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
If this method causes problems, I'll pay the $20 and get Mountain Lion instead.

Toebex

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2014
The app store on Snow Leopard is absolutely screwed. I had exactly the same issue ( https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=20487920#post20487920 ) and I had a pretty damn round about way of fixing it. I had to go to my fathers house, download Yosemite off his MacBook Air running Mavericks from his App Store on my account, copy that download onto my USB and then put that onto my Mac Pro. Snow Leopard is such a good OS, its a shame that it is dying so fast.

I know its not the best solution, but that is what I did :/

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I did as instructed on that thread, but.... same thing. Still not downloading. I can't download ANYTHING from the App Store, but from any browser I can. I can also download music from iTunes. :confused:

So, it seems to be the servers that are used for the App Store.
Apple may have determined that nobody now needs access to Apple's update servers with Snow Leopard :rolleyes:

As you said that you want to upgrade to Yosemite, and don't really care about OTHER access through your App Store while still on SL, then download Yosemite installer with whatever method gets that for you -
Download from another Mac running something newer than Snow Leopard, etc.
You should be able to download Yosemite at an Apple Store.

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
So, it seems to be the servers that are used for the App Store.
Apple may have determined that nobody now needs access to Apple's update servers with Snow Leopard :rolleyes:

As you said that you want to upgrade to Yosemite, and don't really care about OTHER access through your App Store while still on SL, then download Yosemite installer with whatever method gets that for you -
Download from another Mac running something newer than Snow Leopard, etc.
You should be able to download Yosemite at an Apple Store.

I just tried it with the free "Kindle" App, clicked the "Get" button and it changed to "Install App", clicked it and it grayed out and then did nothing. I can't believe that Apple would disable the App Store for Snow Leopard when they still have software that is compatible with Snow Leopard on it, it must be something else.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I was not serious about that suggestion, hopefully none take it that way.
However, the fact remains (and now seems to be verified by some others) that the App Store is not presently working from Snow Leopard.
Could just be a temporary glitch.
I've not heard about it anywhere else.
Maybe it varies by country, or region - I'm in eastern US...

aligak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
I was not serious about that suggestion, hopefully none take it that way.
However, the fact remains (and now seems to be verified by some others) that the App Store is not presently working from Snow Leopard.
Could just be a temporary glitch.
I've not heard about it anywhere else.
Maybe it varies by country, or region - I'm in eastern US...

I'm on the on the West Coast just 20 miles from Apple headquarters and doesn't work here.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Seems like you could just pop over and find out what's happening :D

I certainly can't explain why the servers are no longer connecting to Snow Leopard.
But, you can easily get to an Apple retail store - explain your situation. You should be able to get a copy of Yosemite if you ask nicely.
(But, then it's also not the right time of year to just do a quick in-n-out, eh?)

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I bought Mountain Lion last night.. do you know how long it is supposed to take for them to send it usually?

Info from the online Apple Store page where you bought it:
What do you receive: An email with a content code for the Mac App Store.
Note: Redemption codes are usually delivered within 1 business day but may occasionally take longer.
So, you get an email with a redemption code, which you can use in the App Store to download the installer. You may have already received that email, or you can expect it very soon.
You don't get any physical media, like a DVD, for example. Snow Leopard (OS X 10.6.x) was the last OS X version that shipped on an actual disk.

jawsh

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2014
Info from the online Apple Store page where you bought it:

So, you get an email with a redemption code, which you can use in the App Store to download the installer. You may have already received that email, or you can expect it very soon.
You don't get any physical media, like a DVD, for example. Snow Leopard (OS X 10.6.x) was the last OS X version that shipped on an actual disk.

So basically I wasted my money because the app store isn't working for me right now. Yay. Apple is killing it for me right haha

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
So basically I wasted my money because the app store isn't working for me right now. Yay. Apple is killing it for me right haha

No, I wouldn't say you wasted your money.
Mountain Lion is for sale.
You bought it.
You don't get access to download Mountain Lion, unless you have purchased it before now.
Now that you have spent some money - you have even more reason to call the App Store for support if it doesn't work for you.
This will be a good place to start.
https://getsupport.apple.com/GetproductgroupList.action
Be sure to mention that you are using Snow Leopard now, and not some newer OS X version.

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
It seems I'm unBle to download any apps from the App Store. I'm not sure when this problem started as I haven't downloaded an app from the App Store in a long time. Apple stopped support and security updates to Snow Leopard back in April of this year, so my computer could have some sort of malware since then causing this problem.

So, I'm now downloading Yosemite through an "alternative resource". It's slow, but we'll see what happens....

Very soon you'll be wanting to downgrade to Snow Leopard again...

I know I did, from Mavericks... Because the latter cannot handle large .pdf files without crashing Preview and Pages, and QuickLooking them turns out errors, while Snow Leopard does all of them perfectly...

jawsh

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2014
No, I wouldn't say you wasted your money.
Mountain Lion is for sale.
You bought it.
You don't get access to download Mountain Lion, unless you have purchased it before now.
Now that you have spent some money - you have even more reason to call the App Store for support if it doesn't work for you.
This will be a good place to start.
https://getsupport.apple.com/GetproductgroupList.action
Be sure to mention that you are using Snow Leopard now, and not some newer OS X version.

Yeah I called support and they were no help at all. The only reason I need to upgrade is because I bought this computer for recording and my interface is not compatible with snow leopard. Hopefully it gets sorted out soon.

Rantipole

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2004
Boston
If this method causes problems, I'll pay the $20 and get Mountain Lion instead.
I've got a 2009 iMac, and was thinking of upgrading to Yosemite, but I keep hearing about problems. Apple says my computer will work, but it is getting a bit old. Should I just upgrade to Mountain Lion? I wouldn't even consider upgrading, but some applications aren't being supported anymore on Snow Leopard.

I'd rather pay $20 for an upgrade that works, than get a free upgrade which will cause more headaches.

decaffinator44

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2015
Have you tried looking in the Applications folder as that's where it will end up when the download is complete.

Had an error after download of El Capitan, upgrading from Snow Leopard on a family computer. Looked in Applications folder like you suggested and voila...the install file. Install worked. Thank you.

Steve2saint

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2020
I had a similar problem when I got my first IMac. It takes a while to convert in your mind how Apple works compared to Microsoft and Android products. It's just a learning curve. Hope you enjoy your machine as much as I enjoy mine. Mine is an early 2008 unit.
Disregard. I figured it out. thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.