Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stuartrozier

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 12, 2011
Hello,

Ive installed el capitan on my macbook pro, and mac mini,

but I'm struggling to find out how to use the split screen feature,

I've watched various YouTube videos and all I can see, people suggesting to hold down the maximise button?

Does anybody have any experience with this feature - or is anybody having problems with using this feature?

Many thanks in advance

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
Yes hold the green button.
Not all apps can initiate split screen (app has to be able to go fullscreen).
Not all apps can be in split screen (app has to be resizable).

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
They way I've done it is just to click the green button. That maximises the app to its own desktop space, then drag the second app to the same desktop space and you'll see it trying to split-screen them both.

Holding the green button is a new one to me (I'd never tried, but then I'd never actually read up on this feature). if I do it for eg Safari it will prepare to split screen with another app.

stuartrozier

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 12, 2011
thank you for both replies (very prompt)
So is anybody able to suggest an example of an app that they know works successfully?

And how to initiate it step-by-step,

Sorry to sound like an amateur

stuartrozier

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 12, 2011
When I'm holding down the Green button with my left finger on the trackpad, and moving it back and forth with my right finger on the trackpad, my window is moving, no split screen is initiating,
Thank you again

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
This feature requires you to enable Displays have separate Spaces. Without that being enabled, Split Screen won't work.

Go enable it in Sys Prefs > Mission Control and you should then be all set.

stuartrozier

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 12, 2011
wish i
This feature requires you to enable Displays have separate Spaces. Without that being enabled, Split Screen won't work.

Go enable it in Sys Prefs > Mission Control and you should then be all set.
wish i could upload a video - I'm doing something wrong i know it lol ...

I've enabled display seeing in mission control, holding the maximise button with my magic mouse, trying to move the cursor, and nothing (not even the window) is moving haha

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.