Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yuzu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
I've just bought a refurbished iPhone XS from a reputable dealer and on initial start-up i've got the message:

'Unable to verify this iPhone has a genuine Apple battery. Health information not available for this battery.'

I've done a bit of digging and understand that batteries are replaced by many dealers as part of the refurb if the battery life is showing to be below a certain (yet unspecified) percentage, but...

Should i be looking to return the phone and requesting one with a genuine Apple battery?

This is my first time buying refurbished so not sure what to do.

PS: I've also checked the screen following a few online tutorials and that seems to be a genuine OLED screen (in that the True Tone option is available).

AJAAY

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2012
If you’re going the refurbished route when purchasing an iPhone. I would recommend only purchasing them from the Apple refurbished store.

Yuzu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
The store in question is Music Magpie which are supposed to be one of the most reputable refurb dealers in the UK?!

According to this page on their website any batteries below 80% health are replaced as standard in-house.

Another (apparently) reputable dealer – BackMarket – seem to have a similar policy.

Is a new replacement battery with good health not better than a genuine apple battery that has poor health?

More than willing to return it if the consensus suggests i should. Not sure where i stand in terms of asking for a replacement with a genuine Apple battery though.

Yuzu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
If you’re going the refurbished route when purchasing an iPhone. I would recommend only purchasing them from the Apple refurbished store.

An Apple refurbished iPhone XS 256GB costs £679.00 in the UK. I paid £336.00 for the same model (albeit with a non-Apple battery). Apples refurb pricers are just too prohibitive.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Battery is probably perfectly fine but third party non-Apple batteries don’t have the battery health chip built into them.

b0fh

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
It's really up t
I've just bought a refurbished iPhone XS from a reputable dealer and on initial start-up i've got the message:

'Unable to verify this iPhone has a genuine Apple battery. Health information not available for this battery.'
It's really up to you as to what you want.

1) Get a refurb with original battery, and reduced use time.
2) Get a refurb with an new Apple battery, and pay for that.
3) Get a refurb with a new non-Apple battery, and pay less than #2 for that.

Does a non-Apple battery hurt anything? Not that I've found. Could it cause problems? Potentially, but millions of phones have had them, so the chances are low. Original Apple batteries could have issues too (Apple has done battery recalls I believe).

If seeing your battery health information gives you peace of mind, go for #2. Else, #3 is perfectly fine.

Yuzu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
If seeing your battery health information gives you peace of mind, go for #2. Else, #3 is perfectly fine.

I've got no issues with not seeing battery health information, as long as the usual 'battery percentage remaining till charge' info still displays (which i presume it does?)

EDIT: Yes i could check but i've turned the phone off again until i decide what to do with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.