Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

klakka

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2004
Im having a nightmare trying to install 10.3 back onto my hard drive i have tried several install disks but to no avail. Ive listed the faults from the log file below.
Whenit goes to Select Destination i get the following error:
root:bootstrap_look_up():unknown error

It checks the installation disks fine

And starts to install after about 5 mins i get the following errors when installing base system part2
./usr/share/man/man5/lmhosts5
some files for Essentials may not have been written correctly
root: 2005-01-15 18:00:54 installer(108) exception raised during poosting of notification. Ignored exception : Some files may not have been written correctly (code1)
install failed
error detected
Name:NSgenericException
Reason:Some files may not have been written correctly (code 1)
Aborted Install

Any clues please

G3 400 Mhz 512 mb 20gig HD

Regards

IAn :eek:

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
klakka said:
Im having a nightmare trying to install 10.3 back onto my hard drive i have tried several install disks but to no avail. Ive listed the faults from the log file below.
Whenit goes to Select Destination i get the following error:
root:bootstrap_look_up():unknown error

It checks the installation disks fine

And starts to install after about 5 mins i get the following errors when installing base system part2
./usr/share/man/man5/lmhosts5
some files for Essentials may not have been written correctly
root: 2005-01-15 18:00:54 installer(108) exception raised during poosting of notification. Ignored exception : Some files may not have been written correctly (code1)
install failed
error detected
Name:NSgenericException
Reason:Some files may not have been written correctly (code 1)
Aborted Install

Any clues please

G3 400 Mhz 512 mb 20gig HD

Regards

IAn :eek:

Are your discs scratched? Also did you try going into Disk Utility and formating your hard drive...maybe writing all zeros? I can't think of anything else :-/ :confused:

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
If it is an iMac, or in fact, any G3, check to see if there is a firmware update that you need to run.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Mechcozmo said:
If it is an iMac, or in fact, any G3, check to see if there is a firmware update that you need to run.

Also on G3's don't you have to install Mac OS X within the first partition (within the first 8gb)?

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
LimeiBook86 said:
Also on G3's don't you have to install Mac OS X within the first partition (within the first 8gb)?

The first 8 GiB. The first 7.4 GB to make it safe... (8 GiB DOES NOT EQUAL 8 GB!!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.