Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CE3

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 26, 2014
I know this is a known (and apparently longtime) issue, so I'm just adding my voice to the chorus. My M1 Mac mini was returned yesterday due to the unacceptably poor wireless mouse and keyboard performance. I feel bad for anyone getting their first Mac + Magic Keyboard & Magic Mouse thinking the glitchy laggy mess I experienced was normal. It's not normal. It's terrible.

Reactions: bernuli

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Curious, was the Mac Mini in an 'open' space, or surrounded by metal and such? I noticed when I had my Mac Mini on a shelf, part of a table made of metal, the Bluetooth was not the best. Albeit, mainly with the mouse, it would lag. Moved the Mac Mini to an 'open space', and it seemed to fair better...

Reactions: GaelenSky

GaelenSky

macrumors member
May 1, 2020
Did you try it on its side or even upside down?
The aeriels are in the bottom.
I seriously hope that suggestion was out of curiosity and not genuine advice. "You're holding it wrong" to, "You're placing it as design intended but it won't work out for the best so turn it upside down". Yikes.

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
I know this is a known (and apparently longtime) issue, so I'm just adding my voice to the chorus. My M1 Mac mini was returned yesterday due to the unacceptably poor wireless mouse and keyboard performance. I feel bad for anyone getting their first Mac + Magic Keyboard & Magic Mouse thinking the glitchy laggy mess I experienced was normal. It's not normal. It's terrible.
get used to it , its a apple thing.

never had good performance , connecting my airpods to my work mbp is like playing musical chairs , than it slows the mouse and causes it to jump. had it replaced completely 3 times. same issue.

Quackers

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
I seriously hope that suggestion was out of curiosity and not genuine advice. "You're holding it wrong" to, "You're placing it as design intended but it won't work out for the best so turn it upside down". Yikes.
It was not a rebuke. It was a suggestion, nothing more.
If you'd read some threads on the subject you would know why it was suggested.
Try it and if it works complain to Apple, not me. I'm just a messenger.

GaelenSky

macrumors member
May 1, 2020
It was not a rebuke. It was a suggestion, nothing more.
If you'd read some threads on the subject you would know why it was suggested.
Try it and if it works complain to Apple, not me. I'm just a messenger.
I know, I wasn’t getting at you. But you have to admit, if the solution is turning your expensive computer upside down, the solution sucks.

CE3

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 26, 2014
Curious, was the Mac Mini in an 'open' space, or surrounded by metal and such? I noticed when I had my Mac Mini on a shelf, part of a table made of metal, the Bluetooth was not the best. Albeit, mainly with the mouse, it would lag. Moved the Mac Mini to an 'open space', and it seemed to fair better...
There’s some metal on my desk, and a lot of IR sensors that I suppose could cause interference. It was just going to be a bedroom setup connected to my LG tv. Like I said, mouse and keyboard performance was laggy and glitchy the entire time.

Reactions: circatee

OakdaleFTL

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2009
Until I saw this thread, I was mystified -- about the solution that worked for me: My late-2012 refurbished Mac mini sits out of the way on my nightstand beneath my desk's overhang... A new logictech keyboard and mouse had been flakey. Likewise my Nubwo Bluetooth speaker, with its adapter plugged into the Mac's USB port.
Luckily, I'd tried a Ports hub (the negative review I read on Google was entirely correct!) and, out of frustration, set it aside and broke out an old GE/Texas Instruments USB 1.0 powered hub. Plugged the adapters for the speaker and keyboard/mouse into that... And violá! The hub sits at the end of the desk, unobstructed. Everything works as it should!
Screen Shot 2021-03-07 at 12.57.39 PM.png

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.