Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaniJoy

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2015
California
so much hubris....we are all just a bunch of users. we have a right to share our experiences. especially in light of the apple over-hyped marketing machine.

Beavix

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2010
Romania
I'm honestly astounded by the fact that so much software has already been updated for it in this short time. It shows that over time there is going to be a huge amount of software support for the device.

Let's be honest, the apps which have been updated for the iPad Pro so far required relatively minor changes mainly to adapt the UI for the bigger screen and for some iOS 9 things like the split screen feature. I'm still waiting to see more apps which have been updated specifically to fully support the Apple Pencil (I'm not counting those offering support for generic styluses).

But now the ball is in Apple's court. If they don't change certain things like introducing a version of iOS designed for the iPad Pro, and some more developer-friendly App Store policies within the next year, the iPad Pro will die quickly.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

Jax44

Contributor
Jul 24, 2010
Carmel, California
Let's be honest, the apps which have been updated for the iPad Pro so far required relatively minor changes mainly to adapt the UI for the bigger screen and for some iOS 9 things like the split screen feature. I'm still waiting to see more apps which have been updated specifically to fully support the Apple Pencil (I'm not counting those offering support for generic styluses).

But now the ball is in Apple's court. If they don't change certain things like introducing a version of iOS designed for the iPad Pro, and some more developer-friendly App Store policies within the next year, the iPad Pro will die quickly.

Yes

Apple, 40 years of imminent doom!.

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008

Several of the apps I care about (I'm using the Pencil mainly for note taking) are already updated with good support for the Pencil. The ones I own that I can confirm to have actual Pencil support are:

Notability
Paper
GoodNotes

That's a decent selection of high-quality Apps one month in.

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2014
The problem I have with reviews like this is that the reviewer's scope is limited. So limited that they think the iPad pro and pencil is only useful for artists.

I'm a student and this is the best iPad I've used for my text books and note taking hands down. Best tool in the classroom, better than a computer. I just did a presentation in front of my class where I read some points off my iPad and discussed. And when I needed to show images I just held the iPad up and showed the class. Because the screen is so big everyone in class could see the images easy.

The iPad pro and pencil is not just for artists, it can be used many different ways to do existing things better.

Reactions: fenjen and friedmud

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
The problem I have with reviews like this is that the reviewer's scope is limited. So limited that they think the iPad pro and pencil is only useful for artists.

I'm a student and this is the best iPad I've used for my text books and note taking hands down. Best tool in the classroom, better than a computer. I just did a presentation in front of my class where I read some points off my iPad and discussed. And when I needed to show images I just held the iPad up and showed the class. Because the screen is so big everyone in class could see the images easy.

The iPad pro and pencil is not just for artists, it can be used many different ways to do existing things better.

I think the point is (and I do have an iPP with pencil and keyboard), you don't really need the apple pencil to do what you are talking about. You could use any Bluetooth stylist. Yes, the apple pencil has a better execution, but it isn't required to do what you do. The added details with the pencil is really for drawing, for writing and highlighting you do not need all the levels of sensitivity.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2014
I think the point is (and I do have an iPP with pencil and keyboard), you don't really need the apple pencil to do what you are talking about. You could use any Bluetooth stylist. Yes, the apple pencil has a better execution, but it isn't required to do what you do. The added details with the pencil is really for drawing, for writing and highlighting you do not need all the levels of sensitivity.

I know you don't need the pencil to take notes. I have the keyboard which is what I take notes in using one note until I get the pencil to start taking hand notes and sketches when needed. The Apple pencil is more accurate and precise than other styluses. The point I'm making is simple.

The iPad pro has other uses than being for artists. If you read what I said you would've seen the example I used of how much more useful it was than me using other iPads or a laptop. I use it with the keyboard cover and I can say it is more versatile than other sized tablets and laptops in a class.

I can say this from experience, having owned a regular sized iPad, an iPad mini and MacBook Pro. Nothing has come close to being a better classroom tool than the iPad pro.

People review the iPad pro and pencil and only talk about how it's for artists is like saying a MacBook Pro is only for professionals doing some specific work like audio or video editing. It started out that way where most people bought it for that but now it's used my regular people doing school work and research. It's become a general purpose machine. The same is with the iPad pro and Apple pencil, it can be used by everyone else who is not an artist. Apple highlights artist because that's probably their primary market, just like how the MacBook Pro used to be marketed towards video editors, graphic designer etc. that's if you could remember what the old MacBook Pro page on Apple website used to look like back in the day.

Last edited:

thedon1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2010
I know you don't need the pencil to take notes. I have the keyboard which is what I take notes in using one note until I get the pencil to start taking hand notes and sketches when needed. The Apple pencil is more accurate and precise than other styluses. The point I'm making is simple.

The iPad pro has other uses than being for artists. If you read what I said you would've seen the example I used of how much more useful it was than me using other iPads or a laptop.

I can say this from experience, having owned a regular sized iPad, an iPad mini and MacBook Pro. Nothing has come close to being a better classroom tool than the iPad pro.

I use the pencil to take notes while studying and annotating too. Ridiculously precise, absolutely love it.

Reactions: friedmud and aw3524

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
The reviewer made it pretty clear that he was coming from a very specific perspective... an illustrator.

The reviewer doesn't dispute that. If you were looking for a review that examined all of the aspects of the iPP as an all-around device then you watched the wrong video.

Reactions: Atomic Walrus

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2014
The reviewer made it pretty clear that he was coming from a very specific perspective... an illustrator.

The reviewer doesn't dispute that. If you were looking for a review that examined all of the aspects of the iPP as an all-around device then you watched the wrong video.

Yes you are indeed correct. This video was very specific, it's just that after reading some comments here it made me forget about this particular video so when I made my comment I grouped it in with other video reviews too. I was wrong to do so.

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013

The iPad pro has other uses than being for artists. If you read what I said you would've seen the example I used of how much more useful it was than me using other iPads or a laptop. I use it with the keyboard cover and I can say it is more versatile than other sized tablets and laptops in a class.

People review the iPad pro and pencil and only talk about how it's for artists is like saying a MacBook Pro is only for professionals doing some specific work like audio or video editing. It started out that way where most people bought it for that but now it's used my regular people doing school work and research. It's become a general purpose machine. The same is with the iPad pro and Apple pencil, it can be used by everyone else who is not an artist. Apple highlights artist because that's probably their primary market, just like how the MacBook Pro used to be marketed towards video editors, graphic designer etc. that's if you could remember what the old MacBook Pro page on Apple website used to look like back in the day.

I did in fact read what you wrote. There really is no major need (at this point) to review the iPP for writing notes, reading, and highlighting notes. The benefit here is simply size of screen, either you like bigger, or you don't. The benefit that is new other than size (and 4 GB ram) is the ability of the pencil to have a wide range of sensitivity, which, at this point, there is no major benefit when taking notes. Perhaps there will be, as developers work on hand writing to text recognition.

This is why you see endless reviews from the perspective of artists, they have the most to gain from the iPP & pencil combo.

I have had my iPP/pencil/keyboard since day 2, I use it at work for mockups of systems I build to show to users. I use it to take notes, and highlight text. I still have not really taken advantage of the pencil, I am not doing anything that couldn't be done on an iPP with a 3rd party stylus & keyboard. Some of the stuff these artists are doing, can only be done on an iPP with the apple pencil.

No one is saying it is "only for artists", they just have the biggest benefit to the iPP/pencil combo.

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
there is no major benefit when taking notes.

You are very wrong. You have obviously never tried to take notes on an a regular iPad before. The experience of note-taking on an iPP is so awesome it can't even be compared to how it was on a regular iPad.

I've been taking notes using my iPad for the last year and a half. I would only do it in classes that provided PDF notes/slides ahead of time because you didn't want to have to write too much. Basically, just annotating existing PDFs is all I could bring myself to do with it. In all other classes I just used regular old pencil and paper.

Now, with the iPad Pro... I take _all_ of my notes on my iPad. I've completely done away with taking notes on paper at all. In addition, I actually use the iPad Pro to do all of my homework assignments.

I use it just like paper because it is just as good as paper.

Yes, the large screen helps... but the palm rejection is incredible and the precision and responsiveness of the Pencil is unparalleled.

In addition, the speed and RAM make a big difference... allowing for multitasking like bringing up a Safari window _next to_ the page I'm currently writing in while doing my homework.

Did you know that the palm rejection is SO GOOD with the Apple Pencil that when using a split view (two apps side by side) that you can rest your hand inside the app on the right... while still writing all the way to the edge of the window in the app on the left? It doesn't miss a beat. Works perfectly.

You are going to see a LOT more students picking up this device for just this purpose...

Reactions: ke-iron and thedon1

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
You are very wrong. You have obviously never tried to take notes on an a regular iPad before. The experience of note-taking on an iPP is so awesome it can't even be compared to how it was on a regular iPad.

I've been taking notes using my iPad for the last year and a half. I would only do it in classes that provided PDF notes/slides ahead of time because you didn't want to have to write too much. Basically, just annotating existing PDFs is all I could bring myself to do with it. In all other classes I just used regular old pencil and paper.

Now, with the iPad Pro... I take _all_ of my notes on my iPad. I've completely done away with taking notes on paper at all. In addition, I actually use the iPad Pro to do all of my homework assignments.

I use it just like paper because it is just as good as paper.

Yes, the large screen helps... but the palm rejection is incredible and the precision and responsiveness of the Pencil is unparalleled.

In addition, the speed and RAM make a big difference... allowing for multitasking like bringing up a Safari window _next to_ the page I'm currently writing in while doing my homework.

Did you know that the palm rejection is SO GOOD with the Apple Pencil that when using a split view (two apps side by side) that you can rest your hand inside the app on the right... while still writing all the way to the edge of the window in the app on the left? It doesn't miss a beat. Works perfectly.

You are going to see a LOT more students picking up this device for just this purpose...

You have not given examples that are unique to iPP's with the Apple pencil. Every example is app development based. It so happens that because of the Apple pencil app developers are developing better apps. I still stand behind what I said. For example, for simply writing and highlighting, tell me it can not be done with an iPP, Current Apps (using palm rejection), and a stylus... What makes the pencil something that is unique is in the levels of detail, which, at this time is still best demonstrated with art.

I am not saying the pencil isn't nice, I am happy with mine, I am saying yours (and my) usage without drawing does not demonstrate why the pencil is so great. This is why there are so many more artist reviews vs. non-artist reviews.

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
You have not given examples that are unique to iPP's with the Apple pencil. Every example is app development based. It so happens that because of the Apple pencil app developers are developing better apps. I still stand behind what I said. For example, for simply writing and highlighting, tell me it can not be done with an iPP, Current Apps (using palm rejection), and a stylus... What makes the pencil something that is unique is in the levels of detail, which, at this time is still best demonstrated with art.

I am not saying the pencil isn't nice, I am happy with mine, I am saying yours (and my) usage without drawing does not demonstrate why the pencil is so great. This is why there are so many more artist reviews vs. non-artist reviews.

I've given you plenty of examples. I could do a lot more arguing but I simply don't care enough about you.

Reasonable people will read my posts and come to the conclusion that many people will benefit from the note taking capabilities of the iPP.

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
I've given you plenty of examples. I could do a lot more arguing but I simply don't care enough about you.

Reasonable people will read my posts and come to the conclusion that many people will benefit from the note taking capabilities of the iPP.

I am saying that you are comparing before app development using a stylus to post app development using the Apple pencil... Of course there will be a difference. Palm rejection has nothing to do with the Apple pencil (other than because it exists app developers invested more time into the interface). The accuracy of the pencil for highlighting again is a matter of apps being developed to work better with a non finger interface. This again applies to hand writing.

The pencil shines when it comes to levels of shading in drawing... This is not really used with handwriting and highlighting.

This is a forum for discussion. People are going to disagree. There really is no need for the bolded part of your post. It is simply in place to be insulting. I have only discussed points with you, and have not resorted to being insulting to you.

Reactions: ke-iron

Fynd

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2010
I hate reviews that are done like this. Sentence - Cut - Sentence - Cut. Cut cut cut. Can nobody throw more than 1 thought together without having to stop the video and start a new take for the next one? So irritating to watch :p Can't help but be reminded of this:

That being said, I enjoyed the content.

fenjen

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
I am saying that you are comparing before app development using a stylus to post app development using the Apple pencil... Of course there will be a difference. Palm rejection has nothing to do with the Apple pencil (other than because it exists app developers invested more time into the interface). The accuracy of the pencil for highlighting again is a matter of apps being developed to work better with a non finger interface. This again applies to hand writing.

The pencil shines when it comes to levels of shading in drawing... This is not really used with handwriting and highlighting.

This is a forum for discussion. People are going to disagree. There really is no need for the bolded part of your post. It is simply in place to be insulting. I have only discussed points with you, and have not resorted to being insulting to you.
Palm rejection has everything to do with the pencil. The way the IPP can differentiate pencil from finger is a lot different from how regular Bluetooth enabled styluses were differentiated on the normal iPads. Also precision has very little to do with the software and is basically just the hardware.

Reactions: ke-iron
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.