Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

odanrot

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2015
I don't know...if you can fix it in less than a minute and get it to new status?

musukosan

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
Puyallup, WA
I'm not sure I understand the concern. I was under the impression that the solo loop band was designed so the user can choose which side they want the adjustment knob on. If that's true, then Apple is bound to disappoint somebody no matter how they presented it.

Reactions: odanrot

Dovahkiing

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2013
They can’t box these up in China - there are too many permutations. It was pretty obvious on mine that the pull tabs for Vision Pro are stickers that they put on at the Apple Store - they’re probably putting the final box together at the store. I don’t blame them, it’s so modular. I think your expectations are a little unreasonable. If they had one unit in stock, but it’s sealed in a box with an 11N light seal - what it just supposed to sit there unsold until someone comes for that size? No, they have all the light seals in stock and they do the final order boxing in the back. Slap on the seal stickers so they can tell whether customer has opened or not.

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
They can’t box these up in China - there are too many permutations. It was pretty obvious on mine that the pull tabs for Vision Pro are stickers that they put on at the Apple Store - they’re probably putting the final box together at the store. I don’t blame them, it’s so modular. I think your expectations are a little unreasonable. If they had one unit in stock, but it’s sealed in a box with an 11N light seal - what it just supposed to sit there unsold until someone comes for that size? No, they have all the light seals in stock and they do the final order boxing in the back. Slap on the seal stickers so they can tell whether customer has opened or not.
My expectations of wanting a brand new device without fingerprints on the lenses and displays is unreasonable?

Let me ask you something… if you bought a brand new iPhone from the Apple Store, opened it up at home and discovered that the screen protector wasn’t placed on it correctly and there were fingerprints all over the display and rear glass, would that be acceptable for you?

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I'm not sure I understand the concern. I was under the impression that the solo loop band was designed so the user can choose which side they want the adjustment knob on. If that's true, then Apple is bound to disappoint somebody no matter how they presented it.
To be honest, that was the least of my concerns but I have not seen it presented this way by Apple or anywhere online. I understand it can be reversible but the rotary adjustment dial kind of gets in the way of the battery connector cable when on the same side. Not to mention one of the connection points for the solo knit band wasn’t attached. Had I picked it up by the band, it might have led to disaster.

What about the fingerprints and smudging on the lenses and display? Is that acceptable to you for a brand new device? Would you be fine opening your brand new iPhone and finding the same? What’s to say they didn’t give me one that was returned?

You may not feel this way but then again, probably didn’t happen to you. I’m paying $4K+ for a brand new premium Apple device. My expectation is that it is presented to me as such when I unbox it.

musukosan

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
Puyallup, WA
To be honest, that was the least of my concerns but I have not seen it presented this way by Apple or anywhere online. I understand it can be reversible but the rotary adjustment dial kind of gets in the way of the battery connector cable when on the same side. Not to mention one of the connection points for the solo knit band wasn’t attached. Had I picked it up by the band, it might have led to disaster.

What about the fingerprints and smudging on the lenses and display? Is that acceptable to you for a brand new device? Would you be fine opening your brand new iPhone and finding the same? What’s to say they didn’t give me one that was returned?

You may not feel this way but then again, probably didn’t happen to you. I’m paying $4K+ for a brand new premium Apple device. My expectation is that it is presented to me as such when I unbox it.
Yeah my lack of understanding was about the concern regarding the solo knit band. I think it was a MacRumor article that mentioned the solo band being reversible before launch day. I would have to go back and look. That said, one side not being attached is noteworthy and I do agree with you about the fingerprints.

Last edited:
Reactions: Itinj24

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Yeah my lack of understanding was about the concern regarding the solo loop band. I think it was a MacRumor article that mentioned the solo loop band being reversible before launch day. I would have to go back and look. That said, one side not being attached is noteworthy and I do agree with you about the fingerprints.
First thing I noticed was the giant fingerprint smudge on the front display after I removed the protector. Then I picked it up and one side of the band went limp (left side where the battery connector is) lol. Then I put it on and noticed a really hazy viewing experience which left to me noticing both inner lenses were completely smudged with fingerprints. It wasn’t till after I put it on and went for the right side to adjust the band and couldn’t find the dial lol. Just a really $hitty sequence of events for a company that prides itself on presentation 🤦‍♂️

Dovahkiing

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2013
My expectations of wanting a brand new device without fingerprints on the lenses and displays is unreasonable?

Let me ask you something… if you bought a brand new iPhone from the Apple Store, opened it up at home and discovered that the screen protector wasn’t placed on it correctly and there were fingerprints all over the display and rear glass, would that be acceptable for you?
I'm saying I think you should factor reality of this product launch into your expectations.

When you buy an iPhone, it's boxed up at the manufacturer overseas. When you buy a Vision Pro I think they're literally boxing them up in the back of the Apple store - by a bunch of retail store employee's.

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I'm saying I think you should factor reality of this product launch into your expectations.

When you buy an iPhone, it's boxed up at the manufacturer overseas. When you buy a Vision Pro I think they're literally boxing them up in the back of the Apple store - by a bunch of retail store employee's.
I understand, but should it matter where it’s boxed? I’m a paying customer. It’s none of my concern where or how they do it. I get the end product. My concern is that it was delivered to me in a quality befitting of the Apple brand.

A little tidbit I didn’t mention before in this thread that irked me from the beginning. When I initially did the online fit test, it gave me a 33W. In that two week period waiting for it to be ready for pickup, I did a few more fit tests for kicks and giggles. Those results were 21W.

Then at pickup, I asked them to fit me again to be sure before I leave with it. They made it seem like they were doing me a favor. The rep even went so far as to tell me she has to ask the manager before she can provide me with a proper fit test. Giving me the run around. She also told me to just take it home and try it on, then bring it back if it doesn’t fit properly. Say what?!?! I’m already right here. The store wasn’t even that busy. It was Saturday evening, the day after launch.

Finally, after practically pleading with them, they agreed to a fit test. Tried on 33W and 21W and turned out the 21W was the better fit. I have a feeling maybe they weren’t too excited about swapping the light seals out and handled my stuff without due care. Eh, I dunno.

Just a sour experience from the time I walked into the store to the time I put it on at home. I haven’t even wiped down the smudges and fingerprints yet nor have I thoroughly inspected it. For all I know, there are scratches in those smudges.

Another fun fact. At this same store a few years back when I was picking up my iPhone 11 Pro, I also purchased the Belkin screen protector with installation. Would you believe when I tell ya the rep that was applying the screen protectors had all 10 fingers with these bulky metal rings and two wrists with at least five bracelets each that had these hanging metal charms on them? Told her there’s no way I’m allowing you to come within 12” of my iPhone screen lol. I wouldn’t even handle my own stuff like that. Someone else came and made the application.

Maybe I just need to go to the other store that’s not much further away.

Reactions: Night Spring

Dovahkiing

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2013
I hear you - I’m not saying they don’t have lessons to learn for retail from this launch. I agree they do.

In general one feeling I had about my in store experience is just how infeasible it would be if this product wasn’t a $3500 niche device. Could you imagine the absolute cluser**** it would be if they were selling significant volume of a product that everyone had to test first on pickup and hot swap out parts? In addition to being cheaper, future versions will have to have a much better “off the shelf” pick up and go buying experience.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
Yeah I get it. Trying to justify with myself why it came looking like a demo model. It’s still being assembled whether in store or at the factory. I don’t know, maybe principle. I would expect it to be handled with care. The more I think about it, the more it annoys me.

Look at it this way. You just opened, a brand new iPhone 15 Pro Max in the comfort of your home. The factory screen protector is on sideways and there are fingerprints all over the screen and the rear glass. You go through the contents and find the USB-C cable to not be seated properly in the paper ring holder. Never mind where the contents of the packaging were assembled, would that be acceptable to you?
Well, back in the day when you used to have to activate with a carrier in store, this is exactly what happened.
The person helping you in the store took the cellophane off the box, opened your phone, did the first boot, plugged it into their computer to activate it, and then, in a rush through everything back in the box and handed it to you.
And at least for early iPhones like the 3G and 3GS, this was required when you purchased the phone through a carrier because they didn’t want people unlocking them.
this wasn’t something you could ask them not to do, it was an actual requirement.
And yeah, sometimes in that rush, they would scuff up the screen protector, and everything might not be put back as neatly as it was originally.
If your AVP unit came shipped that way I totally understand the complaint, but given that you know exactly what caused the problem, what’s really the use in going for a replacement?
Leave it in your feedback, that’s really the best solution in my opinion.

Last edited:

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Well, back in the day when you used to have to activate with a carrier in store, this is exactly what happened.
The person helping you in the store took the cellophane off the box, opened your phone, did the first boot, plugged it into their computer to activate it, and then, in a rush through everything back in the box and handed it to you.
And at least for early iPhones like the 3G and 3GS, this was required when you purchased the phone through a carrier because they didn’t want people unlocking them.
this wasn’t something you could ask them not to do, it was an actual requirement.
And yeah, sometimes in that rush, they would scuff up the screen protector, and everything might not be put back as neatly as it was originally.
If your AVP unit came shipped that way I totally understand the complaint, but given that you know exactly what caused the problem, what’s really the use in going for a replacement?
Leave it in your feedback, that’s really the best solution in my opinion.
I absolutely remember those days. Was hoping not to relive them though lol. Not sure if anyone can tell, but I’m a bit OCD. Thought I was getting better but I guess not. Getting a whole renovation done on my house. Any little imperfection on the walls left by the GC’s and I break out the mud and paint. I don’t want to be like this lol. My perfectionist mentality gets in the way of enjoying things sometimes. Appreciate your feedback. I don’t think I’m going to waste my time. It’s made to be used and will eventually look used anyway. The first scruff/scratch is always the toughest.

Reactions: Night Spring
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.