Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
"Apple release new iPod next week, with upgraded iPhoto and iMovie. No color screen for reasons two: 1. too much battery power and 2. too expensive.

It not be a handheld personal video player, but act as a handheld, set-top player. Dont know price.New case, only little different from current. Recording capable, built-in mic (in remote). Smallest 10G. Integrate with iPhoto and iMovie. IMovie upgrade allow for organizing quicktime movies, similar to iPhoto and itunes. New iPod software allow for sync iPhoto and iMovie. headphone jack be also video out, like iBook and use same adapter. Connect iPod to TV and watch iPhoto slide show, iMovie movies, or listen iPod music with visuals"

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
I've been hearing more and more about a possible iPhoto update. There have also been talk of new graphics software from Apple. And since the iPod has been introduced there have been talks of expanding upon the basic design to allow new functions. This could be possible, if not at MWSF then in the future.

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
Re: Unconfirmed: iPod Update Rumor

Originally posted by arn
It not be a handheld personal video player, but act as a handheld, set-top player.
This makes much more sense to me, I always said a color screen would drain the batteries too much, and it would cost way more money. This would be sweet.

bellboy

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2002
Toronto
I don't understand why anyone would want to listen to music on an iPod and have visualizations displayed on the screen! What purpose would that serve, beyond the 5-minute cool factor and a shortened battery life? As for video and photos - with a screen that small, and the resoultion as low as it is, it would be next to pointless to use. Granted, with a higher resolution, colour screen, I could see some uses for it... but again, you're going to kill the battery much quicker. Now, if I could plug a digital video or still camera into an iPod and use it to store/preview images and video... well, then I'd call that progress!

Also, why hasn't Apple made the iPod OS open source, or allowed for plug-ins? Imagine all of the interesting perfierals you could plug into that firewire port!

funkywhat2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2002
Originally posted by bellboy
I don't understand why anyone would want to listen to music on an iPod and have visualizations displayed on the screen! What purpose would that serve, beyond the 5-minute cool factor and a shortened battery life? As for video and photos - with a screen that small, and the resoultion as low as it is, it would be next to pointless to use. Granted, with a higher resolution, colour screen, I could see some uses for it... but again, you're going to kill the battery much quicker. Now, if I could plug a digital video or still camera into an iPod and use it to store/preview images and video... well, then I'd call that progress!

Also, why hasn't Apple made the iPod OS open source, or allowed for plug-ins? Imagine all of the interesting perfierals you could plug into that firewire port!

Yeah! I could plug an iPod into my iPod to charge it! Maybe a CD Burner. Or a Hard Drive! The iPod needs one of those!

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
Originally posted by crazy_will

Yeah! I could plug an iPod into my iPod to charge it! Maybe a CD Burner. Or a Hard Drive! The iPod needs one of those!
Plug an iPod into another iPod? And the iPod IS a Hard Drive....

Attachments

• _kkyu.gif
    _kkyu.gif
    1.5 KB · Views: 1,341

bellboy

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2002
Toronto
I was thinking something along the lines of a microphone for recording directly to the iPod, or eventually a digital video or still camera....

Edit: medea, he's being sarcastic.

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
could be an OLED...

Seems to me that production is ramping up on color OLED displays that would match the iPod format, and though I imagine that they are pricey at this point, they would be more efficient than TFT LED displays.

Recall that 1.8 inch drives were extremely expensive when Apple built the original iPod. Still, Apple needs color at some point, if only to transition some iApps over.

I'm not convinced of the value of color in a such a small form factor, but I might change my mind once I see some iApps that take advantage of color.

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2001
Re: Unconfirmed: iPod Update Rumor

Originally posted by arn
[/QUOTE
This is what I have been hinting at since spring, although I thought it would have the not needed color screen. Basically a movie and music jukebox (must connect to video source for video) contacts and adress , pong, breakout and a few other apps (freeware) and of course the long rumored and missing recording feature thats is on every competative mp3 player out there regardless of price.
This will mean reporters and students can take notes and musicians like me can input song ideas, hopefully it can listen to it and input vocals at the same time. it will probably hook up and function with the updated iphoto, isync and ical and maybe a new entry level 16 track logic where you can mute and mix tracks on the ipod on the road.
The most important question is when will the 5GB ipod get down to the magic $199 price point as this will put it on every teenage and college students' wish list and they can buy it with thier own money.
I think $249 now and $199 and 3-6 months. Good news nonetheless. anyone with a 5GB for sell CHEAP.

peace out

cascade

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2003
Salzburg
Originally posted by bellboy
I was thinking something along the lines of a microphone for recording directly to the iPod, or eventually a digital video or still camera....

Edit: medea, he's being sarcastic.

Well, I found this one. Pointing maybe to the all-new ALD:
Kodak already began with the distribution of a 5-cm-diplay in
OLED technique, which also can display videos. They are ordered by a company not specified yet, which wants to present a new product in the first half of the new year. Samsung wants to shortly bring a mobile telephone out with colored OLED display.

Quoted from http://futurezone.orf.at/futurezone.orf?read=detail&id=139783&tmp=58695

cascade

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2003
Salzburg
Re: could be an OLED...

Originally posted by TMay
Seems to me that production is ramping up on color OLED displays that would match the iPod format, and though I imagine that they are pricey at this point, they would be more efficient than TFT LED displays.

Recall that 1.8 inch drives were extremely expensive when Apple built the original iPod. Still, Apple needs color at some point, if only to transition some iApps over.

I'm not convinced of the value of color in a such a small form factor, but I might change my mind once I see some iApps that take advantage of color.

Well, I found this one. Pointing maybe to the all-new ALD:
Kodak already began with the distribution of a 5-cm-diplay in
OLED technique, which also can display videos. They are ordered by a company not specified yet, which wants to present a new product in the first half of the new year. Samsung wants to shortly bring a mobile telephone out with colored OLED display.

Quoted from http://futurezone.orf.at/futurezone.orf?read=detail&id=139783&tmp=58695

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2002
Realistic sounding...

This rumor sounds like it might have legs...everything mentioned sounds realistic and seems to target realistic and desirable upgrades.

When I am at home, I plug my ipod into my stereo, which sits next to my Television. In that sense, it would be great to be able to plug it straight into my TV as well, and get visuals generated. Also, the ability to display slide shows and iMovies like this would be fantastic.

Of course, this would require a video display card to run the TV, correct? So, that's an added piece of hardware that would be needed.

But, avoiding the need for color display directly on the iPod and instead focusing on using a television display makes a lot of sense. And, it brings the various iApps nicely together.

However, WE STILL NEED AN APPLE BRANDED ULTRA-PORTABLE COMPUTING DEVICE!!!

grimmwerks

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2002
New Jersey
what about the new chameleon-like device..

We've been hearing about? ie the one that has lights that can generate colors/moods, etc? Seems like that would be on the front of the ipod.

However it'd be only eye-candy, and I don't think apple is the eye-candy market, with form over function.

I'd personally like to see some more pda-type action on it, if not just listening to music and being able to write notes on it like a newton...

mangoman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2002
Second Floor
Re: Realistic sounding...

Originally posted by Timothy

However, WE STILL NEED AN APPLE BRANDED ULTRA-PORTABLE COMPUTING DEVICE!!!

As Don Logan says in Sexy Beast, "YES-YES-YES-YES-YES-YES-YES-YES!".

D*I*S_Frontman

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2002
Appleton,WI
Easy upgrade idea:

Why not give the iPod the ability to act as a straight-to-HD DV recorder? MCE and other companies are making small FireWire HDs that you hook up to any FW DV camcorder so that you can simultaneously record to tape and to HD, thereby completely eliminating the step of importing DV. How hard could it be to make the iPod do the same thing? Hook it to you camera, shoot your footage, go home, plug your iPod into your iMac, and edit video instantly?

That would be fabulous--iPod could work with iTunes and iMovie.

JW Pepper

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2002
How about an iTunes type application called iTV where you can rip your DVD's to quicktime with reduced resolution to fit the iPOD2 colour screen. Then you could sync your iPod2 with iTV.

grimmwerks

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2002
New Jersey
Originally posted by JW Pepper
How about an iTunes type application called iTV where you can rip your DVD's to quicktime with reduced resolution to fit the iPOD2 colour screen. Then you could sync your iPod2 with iTV.

Nah, can't see that happening, -- apple would be boiled by Hollywood. Other companies are being sued that offer dvd ripping software, and apple is heartily trying to get itself deep within the film industry, what with buying Shake, etc. Apple is already hearing it about the mp3 stuff.

I personally have hoped for an apple branded tivo device and pda. Now, I can't live without my ipod - not just for the music, but as a hard drive (and if there's anyone who works dual-platform, you have to get x-play -- mounts your ipod on a pc and plays your music!)...anyway, I can't see the ipod doing too much on it's own in the way of video - either playback or recording, because it needs a video card for such.

However, it already has a pretty sophisticated processor on it already, and it's cdburning ability hasn't been touched yet, even though its built in...

I'm thinking it's going to build on the pda side of things...perhaps a cingular phone/ipod hybrid. Jobs has already said he's not into pdas, but thinks phones are a big deal...

Glossybear

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2002
Hollywood CA
How sweet would it be to add pics from iPhoto to special "video" playlists in iTunes. That way you could create whole slide-shows set to music that you could play off your ipod.

Hattig

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2003
London, UK
I think that the OLED (LEP and other names) display sounds like an interesting and not far fetched rumour. I know that monochrome OLED has been used in a couple of consumer devices already (a mobile phone and something else), and that IBM linux watch had a 640x480 mono OLED display that was little over an inch wide.

The problem with OLED used to be getting the blue component to last a long time. However that must have been fixed by now.

OLED/LEP uses from 1/10th of the power of an LCD display from what I have read.

It is ideal for use on mobile devices. An iPod with a 5cm colour OLED display would certainly rock mightily. The power saved from the screen could be used on the processor in order to play movies or whatever on the screen.

Bradcoe

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2002
Northeast U.S.
My built-in mic on iPod prediction

If the recording capability is built into the remote, then wouldn't ALL iPods be able to record? A software update and a new remote would do this. Heres my prediction as far as that stuff goes. 5GB gets the current remote included. 10GB and 20GB get the new remote with built in mic. Apple store sells the regular remote in addition to the remote with mic built in, which costs rougly twice as much.
This will generate some fresh sales with current iPod owners who want to shell out some $ for recording capabilities.
New iPod software also necessary for the recording ability, but it's available to all iPods and downloadable.

Bradcoe

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2002
Northeast U.S.
My built-in mic on iPod prediction

If the recording capability is built into the remote, then wouldn't ALL iPods be able to record? A software update and a new remote would do this. Heres my prediction as far as that stuff goes. 5GB gets the current remote included. 10GB and 20GB get the new remote with built in mic. Apple store sells the regular remote in addition to the remote with mic built in, which costs rougly twice as much.
This will generate some fresh sales with current iPod owners who want to shell out some $ for recording capabilities.
New iPod software also necessary for the recording ability, but it's available to all iPods and downloadable.

Chetwood

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2002
price drop would be appreciated

I'm still on the same train expressed in this thread: now that finally an Ipod has an acceptable minimum capacity to hold my idea of what I'd call a variety to choose from I still have problems with it's price of ~600 € here in Germany.

I really hope Apple comes up with a new iPod which could make the prices drop as the current versions did to the 5 GB version. I'm not into visuals on the iPod but a recording function and espcially an FM tuner would rock too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.