Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yuuuki

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2023
I really need an advice on this one please.

I just want a media iPad (for wacthing something or reading a book) which will NOT get used every day, it will not be a daily driver, it will not be there for any work related stuff. Alone for that I guess the iPad 9 would be the better choice, right?
The difference between the two where is about 200€ which is a bit much already.

I just fear that I kinda going to regret it because of the better display and better speakers (for the rare situation that I am going to watch a movie on it for example)

I already own an iPhone 14 Pro Max if that may be relevant for any reason.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
What prices are you seeing in you country for the iPad 9, air 4 and air 5 (is the difference between air 4 and 5 big?)
Are you only considering new devices?

Yuuuki

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2023
What prices are you seeing in you country for the iPad 9, air 4 and air 5 (is the difference between air 4 and 5 big?)
Are you only considering new devices?
Yes I want only new devices or refurbished from Apple directly.

iPad 9 new - 300€
iPad Air 4 new - 500€ (refurbished by Apple 529€ not in stock currently)
iPad Air 5 new - 600€

Yuuuki

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2023
Wait a couple of weeks. If Apple do update the iPad line, you'll have better options.

If you've got access to refurbished iPads in your market, that's another good suggestion.

Thanks but considering the current price situation I will def not pick up any of the new iPad's. Just way to expensive where I live tbh

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Yes I want only new devices or refurbished from Apple directly.

iPad 9 new - 300€
iPad Air 4 new - 500€ (refurbished by Apple 529€ not in stock currently)
iPad Air 5 new - 600€
I'd either stick with the (inferior but still decent) iPad 9 or go with the Air 5. Spending 200€ more for an old air 4 is not worth it IMO. With the air 5 you get the much better M1 with double the RAM (way less reloads and much more future proof)

Yuuuki

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2023
I'd either stick with the (inferior but still decent) iPad 9 or go with the Air 5. Spending 200€ more for an old air 4 is not worth it IMO. With the air 5 you get the much better M1 with double the RAM (way less reloads and much more future proof)

You are right. Just not sure if I really need the Air considering the fact that I’ll definitely not use the iPad daily and only from time to time

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
You are right. Just not sure if I really need the Air considering the fact that I’ll definitely not use the iPad daily and only from time to time
I'd get the 9 for your use and since you have an iPhone you already use lightning for charging... Also you are not interested in the pencil from what I can understand so that advantage does not matter.... I don't know where you live but for movie watching an Apple refurbished older pro 2018 or even better 2020 would be better than an air 5.

Yuuuki

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2023
I'd get the 9 for your use and since you have an iPhone you already use lightning for charging... Also you are not interested in the pencil from what I can understand so that advantage does not matter.... I don't know where you live but for movie watching an Apple refurbished older pro 2018 or even better 2020 would be better than an air 5.
Yes correct I’m not interested in the pencil at all. I just don’t need it. I mean there are many refurbished iPads around (not from apple tho) that’s why I’m a bit hesitated because battery will not be the best anymore for all the older iPads. I’m from EU unfortunately and prices for all iPads got up high here since a year

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Yes correct I’m not interested in the pencil at all. I just don’t need it. I mean there are many refurbished iPads around (not from apple tho) that’s why I’m a bit hesitated because battery will not be the best anymore for all the older iPads. I’m from EU unfortunately and prices for all iPads got up high here since a year
I am in Switzerland, it's a bit better here but not as good as in the US....
Anyway yes, best to get a new battery. Personally when I buy used I only buy local so that I can check the battery health and I only buy if it's over 95%.

Yuuuki

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2023
I am in Switzerland, it's a bit better here but not as good as in the US....
Anyway yes, best to get a new battery. Personally when I buy used I only buy local so that I can check the battery health and I only buy if it's over 95%.
Sadly where I live, there are not much people around who even sell iPads and if they are all that old, that im sure they are definitely under 95%... And i dont really wanna drive an hour with the car just for an iPad. Guess thats understandable

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Sadly where I live, there are not much people around who even sell iPads and if they are all that old, that im sure they are definitely under 95%... And i dont really wanna drive an hour with the car just for an iPad. Guess thats understandable
Absolutely... Fortunately I live in a relatively big city so there is an healthy second hand market with some good deals, although many people try to sell their devices for way too much.
Just to give you an example, currently I am selling a mint condition 2018 12.9" with 256GB and 96% battery health for under 500 and I have already have quite a few requests.
I tend to baby my batteries so they stay very healthy even after 400 cycles, but some people just leave their iPads dead for days or weeks or keep them plugged it all the time, so batteries can degrade a lot pretty quickly... That's why I don't buy a used device if I cannot check the battery myself.
Without an active second hand market where you live your best bet is buy new or Apple refurbished

Reactions: Yuuuki

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Hello there. As an iPad 9 AND an M2 iPad Pro owner, I think I can offer a good advice.

TL;DR based on what you posted: Get an iPad 9 if you want a new device. Or look for an 11” iPad Pro (2018/2020) for approximately $400. If you find one in good condition, that’s a sweet deal.

Now with the more nuanced reply. While it is true that an M1 5th gen iPad Air would provide you a much more future proof device (forget about the 4th gen Air), you seem to look for a secondary device you will use occasionally and only for media consumption, and also, looking to spend not too much. Well, the 9th gen is the device that best fits into that description.

First of all, is the only iPad that still ships with headphone jack. If you plug your headphones on the iPad, this could be useful. Second, don’t worry about the speakers. The speakers on the 9th gen are good enough and both, the 9th gen and the Air have speakers on one side (or bottom, in portrait).

If you really want stereo sound with speakers at both sides, try to look for a refurbished/used 2018 or 2020 11” iPad Pro for a good price. if you find an 11” iPad Pro for 400 bucks, it would be your best option by far. But in case you don’t find any in good condition, the 9th gen iPad is still a great value with the A13 SoC and a good (although non-laminated) display. But once you get used to that display, you won’t notice it too much, especially if you watch movies on it.

If you have any questions, you can ask me.

Yuuuki

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2023
Hello there. As an iPad 9 AND an M2 iPad Pro owner, I think I can offer a good advice.

TL;DR based on what you posted: Get an iPad 9 if you want a new device. Or look for an 11” iPad Pro (2018/2020) for approximately $400. If you find one in good condition, that’s a sweet deal.

Now with the more nuanced reply. While it is true that an M1 5th gen iPad Air would provide you a much more future proof device (forget about the 4th gen Air), you seem to look for a secondary device you will use occasionally and only for media consumption, and also, looking to spend not too much. Well, the 9th gen is the device that best fits into that description.

First of all, is the only iPad that still ships with headphone jack. If you plug your headphones on the iPad, this could be useful. Second, don’t worry about the speakers. The speakers on the 9th gen are good enough and both, the 9th gen and the Air have speakers on one side (or bottom, in portrait).

If you really want stereo sound with speakers at both sides, try to look for a refurbished/used 2018 or 2020 11” iPad Pro for a good price. if you find an 11” iPad Pro for 400 bucks, it would be your best option by far. But in case you don’t find any in good condition, the 9th gen iPad is still a great value with the A13 SoC and a good (although non-laminated) display. But once you get used to that display, you won’t notice it too much, especially if you watch movies on it.

If you have any questions, you can ask me.
Thanks for your answer! I guess you are right that the 9 would be the best value in my case. Its really just a secondary device that I am not going to use much, so I guess ever penny spend more on an iPad would be a waste. Honestly I would love to have an Air, it looks cool and all but for what I am going to use it for, it just seems like a pure money waste to me.

About the speakers: As far as I know the Air sound comes from both sides? Only the 9 is one sided? Thats honestly more or less the only downside I see. Beside the better screen on the Air

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Thanks for your answer! I guess you are right that the 9 would be the best value in my case. Its really just a secondary device that I am not going to use much, so I guess ever penny spend more on an iPad would be a waste. Honestly I would love to have an Air, it looks cool and all but for what I am going to use it for, it just seems like a pure money waste to me.

About the speakers: As far as I know the Air sound comes from both sides? Only the 9 is one sided? Thats honestly more or less the only downside I see. Beside the better screen on the Air
Air has dual stereo speakers, one on each side, while pro has quad speakers (which sound way better that the air)

Reactions: Yuuuki and Populus

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe

If you value the speaker quality and the laminated display, then I encourage you to find an affordable 11” iPad Pro. The 2018 and 2020 should be easy to find at good prices or discounts.

Otherwise, as I said, the 9th gen is a solid option for a secondary device with not much use.

Yuuuki

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2023
If you value the speaker quality and the laminated display, then I encourage you to find an affordable 11” iPad Pro. The 2018 and 2020 should be easy to find at good prices or discounts.

Otherwise, as I said, the 9th gen is a solid option for a secondary device with not much use.
Unfortunately where I live there are only used iPad Pros where I can’t check the battery life. And so old as they are by now I am pretty sure the battery life won’t be that good anymore. They sell for almost the same price here as a new iPad Air 4 / 5 (difference is only around 50~ €)

Last edited:
Reactions: Populus

Yuuuki

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2023
I also checked the prices now of the iPad 10 and its only at 469€ so even cheaper then the Air 4 (which is at a 500€)

Maybe I should think about getting the iPad 10? I mean it has at least the sound on both sides compared to the iPad 9

Reactions: Populus

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I also checked the prices now of the iPad 10 and its only at 469€ so even cheaper then the Air 4 (which is at a 500€)

Maybe I should think about getting the iPad 10? I mean it has at least the sound on both sides compared to the iPad 9
As a secondary option it’s not bad. I mean, you get the stereo speakers, USB-C and a modern design. Without a laminated screen like the iPad 9.

However, I’d wait a couple of months because it’s likely the iPad 11 gets released, and the iPad 10 will drop the price. Or the iPad Air 6 gets released and the Air 5 drops in price. Also, if you’re in the euro zone, there’s the chance prices go down a little bit because this year the euro is stronger than the dollar.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019

The speakers on the iPad 10 are worse than on the air, they are similar to the ones on the iPad mini. But they are on both sides. And you get a non laminated display like the 9. Again for the price difference I would get the air 5 or stick with the 9 (an used older pro in good condition being the best option but hard to get where you live apparently).

Yuuuki

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2023
Thanks guys for your advices. Really appreciated.
Have to think about it again before I order something. Not really sure yet if I wanna go the budget way or spend a bit more.
The Air 5 should at least work fine for 5 years or even longer, maybe that’s also a way to look at it. But again, I’ll have to think about it how much I really wanna spend.

Yuuuki

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2023
@Digitalguy @Populus I hope its OK to ask you two something again: I checked now reseller prices. I have found the iPad Pro 11 from 2021 for around 650€ used (it says the battery should have at least 85% left, idk if thats ok or not?)

For reference again I could get the Air 5 with the M1 chip as new device for "only" 600€ or still the Air 4 for just 490€

I think the 9th is out of question for me, i am sure i wont be happy with the speakers. And from what I read the 10th gen is the least one that makes any sense at all.

Thoughts...?

Reactions: Homme
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.