Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gokhan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 7, 2003
London
i downloaded a file from the net and stuff it opened 50 % and quit now i cant delete the file because it says its in use by another task !!!!

Help !!!!!!!!!

Gokhan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 7, 2003
London
suggestion :restarted

i shut down the system several times only to be met with the same problem but to ur credit never restarted is this procedure so different ????

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
hmm, I know there's a simple way around this. But I don't quite remember what it is... maybe holding down another key while trashing the item? such as the option key, or maybe the control key? Sorry I'm not being more helpful, but I think there's a very easy fix here. I hope someone else knows what I'm talking about...

Espnetboy3

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2003
goto version tracker and look for a program called delete it , it will solve all those problems

kylos

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2002
MI
Doing it from the terminal:
type "sudo rm "
including the space but not the quotes, then drag the file onto the terminal window and hit return. You'll be prompted to enter your password (as you type you won't see anything, don't be suprised when you don't see the bullets). Hit return again, and you should be all set.

There are other methods available, and some are probably easier to understand, but using the terminal is by far the fastest.

Nancy Pineda

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2003
Georgia
This has happened to me in OS X and what I did was, if I remember correctly, was restart in System 9 and access the file that way and it went in the trash no problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.