Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gollygeee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2020
(This isn't meant to be a iPhone vs. Pixel thing, just my desire to understand how a certain feature is implemented. At the end of the day, use whatever device makes you happy.)

I'm wondering if someone can help me understand why Night Mode is available on the 11 series, but not on the XS or the new SE.

Here is my understanding so far, please let me know if I'm missing anything:
  1. Night Mode is not available on the XS, as it doesn't have the same wide-camera as the 11 Series. "With iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro, a new Wide camera sensor works with intelligent software and A13 Bionic to let you do what was never possible on iPhone: get beautiful, detailed images in drastically lower light." - from the iPhone 11 Pro's page on Apple's website. What were the particular improvements they made in the wide camera to allow this?
  2. Night Mode isn't required on the new SE, because the SE uses the same sensor as the iPhone 8, which is not good enough for the feature.
What reignited my interest in this question is the new Google Pixel 4a. It was just announced today, competing with the SE. The 4a has Google's Night Sight, which is great for its customers, while the SE doesn't (again, this isn't mean to to be a "Android vs. Apple!" thing, as the SE also has many things the 4a doesn't, like better performance, better support, and a better focus on privacy). Lastly, when Google's Night Sight debuted a few generations ago, older phones also got it via software update, unlike the XS.

How is it that they can pull it off but Apple can't? Is it as simple as "we want you to buy the latest high-end device"?

This is what I would like to understand more. Thank you.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
They could have put a software based version of night mode on the iphone SE due to its A13 bionic, but apple didnt in order to give people a reason to buy the iphone 11 series.

Reactions: Marlon DLTH :)

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
(This isn't meant to be a iPhone vs. Pixel thing, just my desire to understand how a certain feature is implemented. At the end of the day, use whatever device makes you happy.)

I'm wondering if someone can help me understand why Night Mode is available on the 11 series, but not on the XS or the new SE.

Here is my understanding so far, please let me know if I'm missing anything:
  1. Night Mode is not available on the XS, as it doesn't have the same wide-camera as the 11 Series. "With iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro, a new Wide camera sensor works with intelligent software and A13 Bionic to let you do what was never possible on iPhone: get beautiful, detailed images in drastically lower light." - from the iPhone 11 Pro's page on Apple's website. What were the particular improvements they made in the wide camera to allow this?
  2. Night Mode isn't required on the new SE, because the SE uses the same sensor as the iPhone 8, which is not good enough for the feature.
What reignited my interest in this question is the new Google Pixel 4a. It was just announced today, competing with the SE. The 4a has Google's Night Sight, which is great for its customers, while the SE doesn't (again, this isn't mean to to be a "Android vs. Apple!" thing, as the SE also has many things the 4a doesn't, like better performance, better support, and a better focus on privacy). Lastly, when Google's Night Sight debuted a few generations ago, older phones also got it via software update, unlike the XS.

How is it that they can pull it off but Apple can't? Is it as simple as "we want you to buy the latest high-end device"?

This is what I would like to understand more. Thank you.
Apple tends to use the hardware for the feature, while Google tends to use software for theirs. This means google's solution has the potential to work on more devices. I mean there are people modifying the GCam app so it can work with many non-pixel phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.