Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RodBlanc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2019
I have this mid 2010 macbook white, i have been using mojave patcher and it works just fine, but i have a lot throteling and overheating, with any system. Im going to replace the thermal paste this week, but im afraid thats not the only problem. I install chromeos for a day and it work flawlessly, no overheating, no throteling, but its still just chromeos. Im trying now to undervolt the mac but i cant find any solution to do it. Volta dont works in this model because is too old, coolbook does not work because is too new, voltageshift also does not work, it has the same problem as volta, i have and kernel panic. And another solution i found is using xnu-speedstep, wich also does not work because its an old solution. None os these works for my mac, either for hardware or software. So my question is, is it possible to undervolt this mac?

Eschers

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2015
ch
Have you installed the newst Boot-Rom version?

When speaking of throttling and overheating, how high are the temperatures actually? Do you use macsfancontrol to check the temps and maybe set an individual fan curve?

RodBlanc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2019
What you mean about boot-rom? Im using mojave.
I have when not using too much, like netflix or just internet, like 60 degree celsius, and when i do anything more heavy it goes to 70 or 80 sometimes. I use macsfancontrol to 400rpm all time. It downs a little bit but not toomuch. I heard about undervolting and get interested, but i think its not possible anymore

Eschers

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2015
ch
i think under full load and mojave running on this machine: this is pretty much how it is.

I put my fan constantly to blow at 4500 and I get 76-78, same results as you under full load.

The Core2Duo is very limited nowadays, on this machine we do not have Airplay or handoff or continuity because the cpu does not support it.

Check your BootRom like this and report back: Click on the :apple: ->About this mac -> System Report -> It is listed on the first page that opens up (hardware overview) under "Boot-Rom-Version"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.