Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
Latest Parallels build has been annoying me on my Mac Pro (mainly network issues) but has been flawless (for two days) on my new Intel Core 2 Duo iMac, until now that is. Started up Parallels VM (XP Pro) as usual tonight - the only unusual thing is that at the same time I tried to play a QT movie is OSX. Maybe my 1GB RAM was iinsufficient for that moment, who knows. Unfortunately my iMac spontaneously restarted straight into an endless cycle of kernel panics. Thank goodness for safe mode, or I would have needed a complete reinstall. In safe mode, I removed Parallels from my /Library/StartupItems folder and all was again well. I think this experience has scared me off from using Parallels for now. To me this is beta software, at least with regards to support for the two Intel Macs I own; and I don't want to pay $160 for two licenses to use beta software. I'm glad this experience happened during my two week trial. When it worked, Parallels was a nice solution. When it is working better for my models, I will likely give it another try. BTW, this is being crossposted from my post in the Parallels forum because I thought it might be of interest to some MR folks with the new iMacs.

EDIT - wish I could correct the spelling in the title!!

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
Parallels probably needs a new build for the iMac C2D with some minor tweaking.

and i think you can change your thread titles now?

amin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
Silentwave said:
Parallels probably needs a new build for the iMac C2D with some minor tweaking.
I hope that's all. For now, I am going to stay away.

Silentwave said:
and i think you can change your thread titles now?
I still can't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.