Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

caribiner23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2005
Chicago
I've had the Apple Card for about 9 months and for the most part it's been a pretty seamless experience.

Early in October, I manually scheduled the payment of my September Amount Due via the Wallet app. I used the "payment wheel" to confirm the amount, just as I had many times before. The payment was due to go today, October 29. It was for about $800.

A cardholder cannot pay Apple Card from their bank's Bill Pay-- Goldman/Apple requires your checking account information to pull the payment at the scheduled time.

This morning I received notifications on my phone that there were two payment transactions attempted by Goldman/Apple, one in the amount of about $1600-- over twice the amount that I had scheduled (and well beyond the total outstanding amount on the card) and a second payment transaction for about $100.

I called Apple Card Support and spoke to an agent, who reversed both payment attempts. Then (after 30 minutes of back-and-forth on-hold) she suggested that I had may have entered the wrong amount in the payment wheel for what was supposed to go today. I explained that according to my notes, I only scheduled the amount due for September (~$800) in a single payment.

I then said, "assuming you're correct and I did enter the wrong amount of $1600: can you explain why there was a second attempt by Goldman/Apple to get payment for a completely different amount when I did not initiate it?"

The agent could neither explain why the second payment was attempted nor whether it shows to have been requested by me or initiated by Goldman.

I was back and forth on hold for another 30 minutes, and in the end all she could say was "going forward, use the keypad on the app to enter the amount." Still no explanation for the second payment attempt.

At this point, I told the agent to close the account. The fact that Goldman/Apple could not explain any of this gave me a level of discomfort that I cannot abide.

The cash back percentage on this card is not worth it to me, and I never revolve payments. Goldman/Apple should allow a cardholder to initiate a payment from their checking account's Bill Pay, which would add clarity into which payments are initiated and by whom.

I am going to stick with credit products issued by companies that have experience with retail banking.

Last edited:
Reactions: baypharm

caribiner23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2005
Chicago
Just a quick followup, as I just received my monthly statement:

My statement shows the attempted pull of ~$1600 as well as the second one for ~$100, with no explanations for either. The reversals I requested are also there.

The odd thing is that the second (~$100) attempted pull was in the exact amount of what I had spent during the current month (October). I did not authorize that payment yet Goldman/Apple tried to grab that as well, even though that amount would not be due until the end of November.

The agent at Apple Card could not explain any of this, yet I was able to piece some of it together myself. I'm still glad I paid off and closed the account: totally not worth the hassle.

I'll stop complaining now.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
I think I'll be sticking with just my Chase Amazon Rewards Visa Card. Never had a single issue with them for many years, yet I keep hearing these kinds of stories about the Apple Card. But still, I always make sure I take a screenshot on my phone of the confirmation page every time I make a payment, that way they can't accuse you of making an error when you didn't. They normally send an email confirmation too, but I still take the screenshot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.