Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frogywill

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
Ok so there’s a button to hide apps… but I can’t figure out how to unhide ? It’s a problem of course. There has to be a way. Anyone ?

frogywill

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
Yes. I’m not talking about after I erase an app. It’s after you click the option to hide other apps (press and hold the X ). How do you make them come back into view?

tobyringle69

macrumors regular
May 13, 2015
Yes. I’m not talking about after I erase an app. It’s after you click the option to hide other apps (press and hold the X ). How do you make them come back into view?
it’s located in iCloud settings under “Media and Purchases”

frogywill

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
I don’t think we’re talking about the same thing. In Apple Vision Pro, you can “hide other apps” by holding the X icon at the bottom of a window. Once hidden there is no obvious way to “unhide”.

Attachments

• IMG_0026.jpeg
    IMG_0026.jpeg
    18.1 KB · Views: 34
Reactions: HDFan

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
I don’t think we’re talking about the same thing. In Apple Vision Pro, you can “hide other apps” by holding the X icon at the bottom of a window. Once hidden there is no obvious way to “unhide”.
It appears to "hide" them, means to close them. So currently, have to reopen the individually.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I'd expect it to operate the same as a Mac. To open an app that's hidden, you open it again. On a Mac, you can get to the app windows from the Dock. On the AVP, go to the Home Screen and select the app.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
It's weird that they use different wording ("close" and "hide") within the same menu for what is apparently the same thing.

Reactions: glhaynes

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
It sounds like you can think of it as “Close this app” and “Close all other apps”.

“You can pinch and hold
the Close button
, then tap “Close [app]” to close the current app, or tap “Hide others” to close all other apps.”

Reactions: HDFan

frogywill

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
It appears to "hide" them, means to close them. So currently, have to reopen the individually.
I accidentally used that yesterday while using Mac virtual display and you cannot reopen the virtual display app without first ending the session and then start it again, so it’s kind of dumb. The whole time the app was hidden, but the session was still active so my Mac screen was black and under control center it showed as active.

Gregsatin

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2024
I thought I figured this out, sort of.

I thought maybe when you “close” an app, that window is gone. That its position in space and whatever you were doing in it is gone, too. So for example if you “close” a Safari window, the next time you reopen Safari, that window will be in a blank state and a new position in space. And then unhide would preserve its position in space and the content of whatever you were working on.

But I tried it just now and closing and then reopening preserved my Safari window’s position and content… so… hmmm…

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
But I tried it just now and closing and then reopening preserved my Safari window’s position and content… so… hmmm…
Yeah, as far as I can tell, it's like iOS/iPadOS where an app will persist in the background until such time the system needs the memory and gets purged (in order of oldest to most recent). Unlike on macOS, there's no "quit" for an app.

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
When you hide something, you're closing the app, and the app may or may not shut down completely. However, when you close an app, it's not unusual for the window position and state (what you were doing) to be preserved, and re-opening/restarting the app brings up the window with whatever you were doing (this includes multiple safari tabs, etc.). This isn't like some cruddy windows program that loses everything if you close the program without saving.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.