Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Autokon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
CA
Hi all!

So... I have OCD. I like to keep things tidy and organized. If an app is removed from my workflow, I hide it fro my purchased list. It's been awhile since I needed to unhide something, but it came up the other day.

TLDR: Wife found a game she wanted to play. I had bought it around a year ago. I beat it, deleted it and then hide the purchase as I had no plans to re-play.

Since it's hidden, she cannot see it to download it for free via family sharing. And now apparently, you cannot unhide apps via iOS. You can unhide Mac Apps, Apple Books, Music...but not iOS Apps.

What the heck is up with that? Am I missing something? I was told you have to contact Apple Support to unhide the selected app for you. Is there no work around for this?

(Side note: I'm not using iOS 14. Can you unhide iOS apps in iOS 14 perhaps?)

Autokon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
CA
Hmmm, I'm trying on iTunes and only see music and movies. Not Apps. Is that "special" version of iTunes for managing apps still working?

Blah, this is frustrating. You can unhide for any other purchases types...just not iOS.

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
You hid the app from the App store or in the settings of iOS itself? I've never "hidden an app", so I am not sure what you mean. Be glad to look into it, but not 100% sure what you mean.

EDIT: oh, in the app store under my purchases you swiped left? Never knew that existed. I guess I will give it a shot.
[automerge]1595974060[/automerge]
after I hid the app I can search the store and it shows up. The purchase buttons shows up, but it should tell you it's already been purchased and be free if your wife downloads it. You'll get the notification as you purchase it.

Last edited:

Ferc Kast

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2012
The Multiverse
I can't speak for the Mac version of iTunes, but on Windows here's how you can get to it:
  • Go to "View My Account" under the Account menu item, and log in when prompted.
  • In the Downloads and Purchases section, there's a row that says Hidden Purchases. Click "Manage" on the right side of the row.
  • There you can manage any hidden music, movies, tv shows, apps, books and audiobooks.

Reactions: gaanee

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
Thanks! That's very useful.
Previously I used to hide/unhide using old iTunes version with AppStore but that old iTunes cannot sync iOS13 iPhone, so had to upgrade iTunes to new version. If you hide a paid app, next time it asks you to pay again unless you unhide it.
On a side note: is there a way to hide app purchases on computer? Long time back, I had downloaded several free apps but now would like to hide those. Hiding it on iPhone one-by-one is not very convenient and becomes very slow. It would be easier to hide apps on the computer but the latest iTunes version doesn't show app purchases.
I can't speak for the Mac version of iTunes, but on Windows here's how you can get to it:
  • Go to "View My Account" under the Account menu item, and log in when prompted.
  • In the Downloads and Purchases section, there's a row that says Hidden Purchases. Click "Manage" on the right side of the row.
  • There you can manage any hidden music, movies, tv shows, apps, books and audiobooks.

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
Thanks! That's very useful.
Previously I used to hide/unhide using old iTunes version with AppStore but that old iTunes cannot sync iOS13 iPhone, so had to upgrade iTunes to new version. If you hide a paid app, next time it asks you to pay again unless you unhide it.
On a side note: is there a way to hide app purchases on computer? Long time back, I had downloaded several free apps but now would like to hide those. Hiding it on iPhone one-by-one is not very convenient and becomes very slow. It would be easier to hide apps on the computer but the latest iTunes version doesn't show app purchases.

It will ask you to pay, but it won't charge you. As a matter of fact, after you "purchase" again, it will tell you it's already been purchased and tells you that you can download for free. I just did a screen record of an app I purchased on my account and used a family account to download it.

Attachments

• free.mp4
    2.1 MB · Views: 82
Reactions: gaanee

Autokon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
CA
Mac version of iTunes only lets you manage music unfortunately.

CleanShot 2020-07-28 at 16.28.11@2x.png

I know you are able to re-download the app for free, however after you re-download it, it doesn't unhide the app and re-add it back into your purchase list. It's still technically hidden from that purchased list.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
Thanks for checking and posting the screen record. When it asked for the password, I canceled the password prompt and unhide that app and then it was showing download again.

It will ask you to pay, but it won't charge you. As a matter of fact, after you "purchase" again, it will tell you it's already been purchased and tells you that you can download for free. I just did a screen record of an app I purchased on my account and used a family account to download i

Last edited:
Reactions: TheAppleFairy

garethjs

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2008
Digging up this old thread...

But I hide a few apps and realise I couldn't unhide it. I thought this was very inconsistent with their Mac App Store where u could un-hide Mac Apps. And who's going to borrow a windows system just to get this sorted.

So I filled up a feed back form 2 weeks to the date asking if they could bring back the functionality.

Today I check and its back :) A unhide button now appears next to each hidden app

thank u apple

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.