Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

c1phr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 8, 2011
Well, I thought that this was normal for a while now, until I talked to a few of my friends (with both 2010 and 2011 models) and found they didn't have this issue at all.

Basically, one corner (from what I can tell) of my lower case makes a loud cracking noise (different from the creaking of the small springs in the center) when pressure is applied in a certain area. The amount of pressure required to induce the noise is low, to where it creaks sometimes just when typing or clicking, and it's rather annoying.

I have not yet opened my case, and all the screws are still in where Apple left them.

Has anyone else had a similar issue (after opening the case maybe?) and if so, what did you do to remedy it?

I took a short video of the noise, I apologize for the poor lighting and quality, my cell phone camera sucks and I didn't have any other camera available.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pszT36yk_nU

MBP 2010 15" Refurb

Last edited:

c1phr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 8, 2011
Bump: Anyone have a suggestion? Should I reseat the bottom plate?

c1phr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 8, 2011
Update: Re-seated the bottom plate and it totally fixed the issue. This thread may be deleted.

c1phr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 8, 2011
So, just out of curiosity, what was causing the cracking sound and how do you
"reseat" the bottom plate? :confused:

Just take it off and put it back on. I'm assuming it was just slightly loose originally, and my doing that tightened it properly.

phylumook

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2011
if it is the bottom right side of the unibody it is the harddrive, this isn't an issue most unibodies will do this is enough pressure is applied while the HDD is moving or active

Macsavvytech

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2010
You should probably add the RESOLVED prefix to your thread.
Edit first post => Go Advanced => Prefix

c1phr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 8, 2011
if it is the bottom right side of the unibody it is the harddrive, this isn't an issue most unibodies will do this is enough pressure is applied while the HDD is moving or active

That is where it was, and re-tightening it made it better for sure. It definitely wasn't normal before, but now there is only a slight noise when enough pressure is applied in the correct spot, which seems much more normal.

Macsavvytech said:
You should probably add the RESOLVED prefix to your thread.
Edit first post => Go Advanced => Prefix

Thanks for reminding me of this! Added the prefix.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.