Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

byke

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2007
LDN. UK
Hi Guys,
Just picked up a new Mac mini and plugged it into my Pioneer PDP-508xd TV via a HDMI cable and immediately noticed that there is no sound?

Any ideas if this new mac mini supports Audio over HDMI?

Cheers

norwegian wood

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
the specs say it does. But what ever input you are plugging it into has to accept it. i personally have never had any hdmi input on my tv or audio system accept audio through the same hdmi cable. always needed a separate set of audio cables.

but check your settings in your mac mini. there is a setting that you have to set to switch audio fro the mac mini speakers to the mac mini hdmi output

byke

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2007
LDN. UK
AHA!
Cheers, I never thought about a sounds section under osx settings.

/Fixed

pj-

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2008
the specs say it does. But what ever input you are plugging it into has to accept it. i personally have never had any hdmi input on my tv or audio system accept audio through the same hdmi cable. always needed a separate set of audio cables.

Are you just talking about the mac mini or just in general? If you are talking in general, you are doing something wrong. Audio over HDMI is half the point of it.

judethat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2007
It does support audio over HDMI - I have set mine up and it works well - you just have to remember to select to play audio through tv in preferences.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.