Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andeify

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2012
UK
If anyone familiar with Unifi, networking and wireless bridges could help, my network used to consist of a Unifi Security Gateway (USG3P), a couple of Netgear Switches and a Unifi UAP NanoHD wireless access point. I have a server that has the Unifi Network Controller running as a VM. I recently stopped using the USG and switched to PFSense running as a VM, this gives so many more options and is more powerful than the USG.

I will be moving house soon and want to connect some of network downstairs to the some more I will have upstairs without running wires. So I'm looking to buy another Unifi NanoHD access point and set it up as a bridge. Is this possible without the USG? I noticed when I stopped using the USG most of the settings in the Controller were unavailable.

Edit

If I'm not mistaken all I need to do is connect it to downstairs switch, adopt the new one, enable "Meshing" and then connect it to its switch upstairs.

Screenshot 2024-02-19 at 23.13.59.png

Edit 2

For anyone else curious, after fair amount of research, one other thing needs to be enabled. In software (8.0.7) > Settings > System > Advanced, check "Wireless Meshing" if not already done.

Screenshot 2024-02-20 at 21.18.07.png

Even without a USG this should work. I will confirm when I get my second Unifi Access Point.

Last edited:

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
I have been running and installing Unifi APs for over a decade, and none have ever been connected to or configured via USG. All have been controlled by either the mobile app or the Java-based desktop app (Mac or Windows) Unifi Network Server.

If either one supports bridges, that would be an option to set up and monitor without USG. The desktop app only needs to run when setting up, changing/updating firmware or troubleshooting. I go months without opening it.

With APs, one has to pick the management platform...either/or...not both. I usually pick the desktop app, as it seems more feature rich than the mobile app, although it has been a couple years since I last checked.

Reactions: andeify
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.