Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
All,

I am having issues with Cisco Webex. When chat messages come through, the app crashes, and I have to reopen it.
Thus far, I have made sure I have the latest updates to Cisco WebEx, and now I have even upgraded to Ventura. Honestly, I did not want to!

Anyway, I believe to uninstall an app, one would merely go to Applications and Move to Trash the respective application, no?
My question is, how to clear the cache and EVERYTHING related to Cisco WebEx, prior to me reinstalling it? Thanks

DarkPremiumCho

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2023
This is for power users. You don't want to delete files that shouldn't be deleted:

Go to ~/Library/ and delete any files or folders with names related to Cisco Webex. Also need to check the Caches, Containers, and Application Support for any remaining residue.

Then, unload and delete related items in ~/Library/LaunchAgents/.

If Cisco has ever asked you for the admin password, you also need to check:

1. /Library/LaunchAgents
  2. /Library/LaunchDaemons
  3. /System/Library/LaunchAgents
  4. /System/Library/LaunchDaemons

Reactions: circatee

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
I believe to uninstall an app, one would merely go to Applications and Move to Trash the respective application, no?
No. That just moves the main application file to trash. It does nothing about files that the application may have created.

Remove the extra by hand as @DarkPremiumCho suggests, or use an uninstaller app. AppCleaner is both popular and free. There are other uninstallers (paid) which may be better (or worse) for particular apps. Uninstallers mostly require the app to be present in the Applications folder.

Reactions: circatee

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
IME AppCleaner (my former go-to) doesn’t seem to do as good of a job in recent releases of macOS.

Google and see how to include System files in a simple Finder search.

Once you find this info:

Begin a Finder search (Open Finder, then Command+F) and type the keywords that Premium listed and any others you can think of, such as the developer name etc. Now click the filter menu to include System files. Finally the results will include any and every file in every location related to your search.

Be smart about what you delete. You may want to search online for specific files you find to ensure they aren’t critical or used for something else.

Sometimes removing certain files requires diddling with SIP 🙄 but this method will find just about every last thing pertaining to your App.

I recommend deleting from the Launchpad rather than dragging from Applications anyway.

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
...thanks for the tips. Much appreciated.
I will try these on Monday.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.