Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
If it works faster and without any hickups emulated than the equivalent last gen machine then that'd be impressive. but don't you use plugin in resolve? what about those?
I don't use any plugins. I think video editing is one of the areas likely to benefit most from Apple Silicon due to the hardware video encoders and decoders, so high performance would not surprise me.

Reactions: Macintosh IIcx

online919

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2018
I think the real challenge for apps to be compatible with arm is the dependent 3rd party components. For example, I can figure out how to compile my main app to work with arm, but my app uses a bunch of third party components that's based on Intel, that will stop my app from running as native.

ADGrant

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2018
Well I read the announcement that way (that they emulate an x86/x64). Because announcing that existing VMWare ARM VMs would run on AppleSilicon would not really be exciting to anyone - unless you are very easily excited :).
Apple already showed ARM linux in Parallels on Apple Silicon at their first presentation.
I didn't see anything about x64 emulation in that VMWare announcement. Perhaps I am missing something?

online919

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2018
Still 2 weeks away to get my MBA. I am really wondering how those iOS Apps will behave inside Mac. Will it look like the simulator? That will be ugly. Do we need to pay it again?

SwissGuy93

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2016
it seems nobody was intersted in what this mac arm could actually run. apparently not much for now. if you're doing anything productive obviously you're gonna have to wait a few years.
I wouldn't say years. Apple has somewhat committed themselves to a two-year transition. So pro and non-pro applications will have to push out an update sooner or later. And I think we shouldn't underestimate (nor overestimate) Rosetta 2.

Reactions: planteater

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2013
Out of curiosity, will this thread also document iOS/iPadOS apps that will be known to run on an M1 Mac or would that be a separate list?

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2013
Plus a decent number of apps require use of the specialized device hardware (like motion sensors) or multitouch input; the latter would take some rework to code in workarounds.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
with the exception of apple software then. Office is a given; it's not a cpu intensive task and it'd probably work fine with emulation. I mean yeah productive was not the right word; I'm thinking of a cpu-intensive powerhouse like for video, audio; design...; those things people often buy macs for. I'm not saying you can't be "productive" using just a browser and a text editor (I mean personnaly for those things I'd buy a refurbed air from a few years back but that's just me)

Office will be running natively, not under emulation. Microsoft already had it running natively at WWDC, and they released the first builds to Beta/Insider today. All of the Apple apps have already been recompiled for the M1, so FCP, Compressor, Motion, etc. will be available as native apps on day one.

Juanj

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2017
I've read something about IOS app working on Big Sur ARM.

How does that work?

And will you be able to install iOS on ARM Mac?

polaris20

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
I've read something about IOS app working on Big Sur ARM.

How does that work?

And will you be able to install iOS on ARM Mac?
If the developer wants their app in there, the app will show up in the Mac App Store if you’re on ARM. However, many devs have opted out (at least for now), like Facebook.

No, you won’t be able to install iOS on an ARM Mac. Not sure why you’d want to, since the Mac isn’t optimized for a touch interface.

Reactions: MysticCow

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Mathematica
Compatibility will be confirmed after full testing on the new Apple Silicon hardware finishes. Please contact us if you have any questions. (https://www.wolfram.com/mathematica/system-requirements.html)

Matlab
Rosetta 2:
An upcoming update for MATLAB R2020b will provide support for running MATLAB in Rosetta 2. Earlier releases of MATLAB are not supported on Apple Silicon.
There are two products which are available on Intel-based Macs but are not compatible with the Rosetta 2 environment: Polyspace and Simulink Desktop Real-Time.
Native Apple Silicon:
A version of MATLAB which runs natively on Apple Silicon is in development. This answer will be updated with more information as development progresses. (https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcen...pported-on-apple-silicon-macs?s_tid=srchtitle)

Maple
Not yet available for 10.16; no mention of Apple Silicon (https://www.maplesoft.com/products/system_requirements.aspx)

Reactions: FloatingBones

wyatterp

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2020
No it is not, developers can opt out.
Interesting - that would be really annoying if a lot do. My primary hope as an iPP 12.9 2018 owner who doesn't want to keep buying all the iPP accessories, and wants a real multi-tasking O/S that doesn't close every app in the background every time I switch to YouTube, is that the MBA can do this, and I would have access to all my purchased iPad games, like Civ VI and Company of Heroes (I like them strategy titles).

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2013
Dumb question time again. For most Mac apps, how hard would it really be to produce a universal or M1-native binary? I get that fully optimizing to the new platform and taking advantage of all of its features will take time, but unless you've got code that's really working down at the machine instruction set level, isn't this just re-compile, test, and upload to the App Store? (Or however else you choose to distribute.)

Get it done, get it out there, and by actually compiling for the platform instead having to have Rosetta translate, you'll almost certainly be more efficient than if you just stayed x86 and let Rosetta handle it. Boom, you're native, and you can improve over time through normal updates as you optimize for the M1.

Reactions: Fomalhaut

Machspeed007

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2018
Romania
Audirvana will be Apple Silicon ready.

iyR2St4.png

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
it seems nobody was intersted in what this mac arm could actually run. apparently not much for now. if you're doing anything productive obviously you're gonna have to wait a few years.

Final Cut Pro X, Motion, Logic Pro, Compressor (all the Apple consumer and Pro apps, for that matter) are already available on the M1, and Microsoft dropped their Office beta this week. Adobe has stated that Lightroom will drop next month and Photoshop in early 2021. You also have apps such as DaVinci Resolve, the Affinity apps, and numerous others that are making their way over to the M1 in the next few months. So the options for "anything productive" are already out there. Plugin issues (as always) would have to be addressed by the plugin authors, not the software developers. Keep in mind that a lot of these developers have been waiting on the new hardware to actually release, especially since there are some limitations to the DTK which prevent certain types of software from being developed since the DTK does not support features such as virtualization. With production hardware in hand, these developers can actually start working on porting those types of apps to Apple Silicon.

grrrz

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2012
Final Cut Pro X, Motion, Logic Pro, Compressor (all the Apple consumer and Pro apps, for that matter) are already available on the M1, and Microsoft dropped their Office beta this week. Adobe has stated that Lightroom will drop next month and Photoshop in early 2021. You also have apps such as DaVinci Resolve, the Affinity apps, and numerous others that are making their way over to the M1 in the next few months. So the options for "anything productive" are already out there. Plugin issues (as always) would have to be addressed by the plugin authors, not the software developers. Keep in mind that a lot of these developers have been waiting on the new hardware to actually release, especially since there are some limitations to the DTK which prevent certain types of software from being developed since the DTK does not support features such as virtualization. With production hardware in hand, these developers can actually start working on porting those types of apps to Apple Silicon.
yes I understand all that. But obviously any person who rely on their computer to work with specific softwares would wait at least a few months for the major kinks to be ironed out; and make thorough research about what works and what doesn't. As for the plug-ins; it could take very long for them to be adapted; and I don't see an ecosystem with a mix and match of native/emulated plug-ins/apps working well if at all. Personnaly I use max/msp and ableton live in conjonction; plus multiple third-party plugin; and all of those have to be updated to work together; and I know for a fact at least one I rely heavily on will never be. I don't even know about the drivers of the many pieces of hardware I use. I don't even know about firewire compatibility if there is any. I suspect many people are in the same cases. Your mileage may vary but for me it won't even be an option for a very long time.

Lucifer666

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2014
If the developer wants their app in there, the app will show up in the Mac App Store if you’re on ARM. However, many devs have opted out (at least for now), like Facebook.

No, you won’t be able to install iOS on an ARM Mac. Not sure why you’d want to, since the Mac isn’t optimized for a touch interface.
optimized yes, but runs like a champ without touch, with mouse support. And as far as wanting this? Heck yes! ?

why not? But you’re going to have the naysay no doubt.

polaris20

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
optimized yes, but runs like a champ without touch, with mouse support. And as far as wanting this? Heck yes! ?

why not? But you’re going to have the naysay no doubt.
Well iPadOS already runs with mouse and keyboard like a champ, so there’s that. But I think the overall goal should be “let’s get those apps over to MacOS, and use them back and forth, seamlessly”.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.