Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
Works great for me with a Mac Studio at the center, two MacBooks (Intel and M1) and an iPad.
Hint: adding a fourth devices does not work. With three connected you have to put one to sleep, connect, and then can awaken it.
Needed: a SANE keystroke to return control. It can get easy to get lost.

KDLM

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2018
San Diego
With three connected you have to put one to sleep, connect, and then can awaken it.
To clarify, with a setup of one MacBook Pro (M1 Max 16" 64GB) and two LG 5K Ultrafine monitors, I can add two iPads using Universal Control on each. If I try to add a third iPad, I am get a popup window that says "Unable to connect to "Bob's iPad" To connect to "Bob's iPad", disconnect one of your other devices. I have to disconnect one of my connected iPads in order to connect the third.

I think this is what you're saying, but I want to clarify that if, as you suggest, you put one device (an iPad in my scenario) to sleep, connect the fourth device I was trying to connect ("Bob's iPad") and then try to awaken the one I just put to sleep, I will have to disconnect a device to use the iPad I just woke up. In other words, no matter what, it seems you can only have three devices under Universal Control at once (one MBP and two iPad Pros, in my case). I think this is what you're saying, but I'm not quite sure. If you're saying something different, please post and let me know.

Also, I have tested this and when I have my setup using Universal Control with two iPads (so my MBP, two LG 5K monitors and two iPads connected via Universal Control), I can use a third iPad (via Sidecar) to be a fourth display. So, in this setup, I have four displays: the MBP built-in display, the two LG 5K displays and one iPad (with that iPad not using Universal Control). This maxed-out setup seems to work fine. However, I do have the most powerful MBP made, so I don't know if a MBP with lesser specs could handle this. See the attached screenshot for this maxed-out setup.

Screen Shot 2022-04-29 at 11.52.53 AM.jpg

makdeniss

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2011
European Union
the only negative thing for me is inability to have two users logged in with same cloudID... I need to switch between accounts on one machine, and it is a bummer that I need to use a separate mouse + key combo for it :/

mmac_m3a

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2022
Universal Control works mostly great between my to M1 MacBooks (Pro and Air). However, it tends to disconnect after both machines go to sleep. I do have the "Automatically Reconnect ..." option enabled. I can fix the problem by disabling and re-enabling Universal Control on both MacBooks and then again "pushing through" and edge of the display. Both MacBooks are on the same wired network and also on the same WiFi and are about 10 inches from each other.
Does anybody know the CLI commands to turn Universal Control on/off? Or maybe a process to kick (restart) to re-initiate Universal Control?

mmac_m3a

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2022
Universal Control works mostly great between my to M1 MacBooks (Pro and Air). However, it tends to disconnect after both machines go to sleep. I do have the "Automatically Reconnect ..." option enabled. I can fix the problem by disabling and re-enabling Universal Control on both MacBooks and then again "pushing through" and edge of the display. Both MacBooks are on the same wired network and also on the same WiFi and are about 10 inches from each other.
Does anybody know the CLI commands to turn Universal Control on/off? Or maybe a process to kick (restart) to re-initiate Universal Control?
Looks like sending HUP signal to the UniversalControl process makes it reinitiate connection to nearby partners. I've installed sleepwatcher and created ~/.wakeup script running pkill -HUP UniversalControl command. This seems to fix the problem for me.

rogan

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2009
Has anyone experienced an issue with placing their iPad underneath their secondary display? I can position it to the left of right of my setup and underneath the laptop, but not underneath my secondary display (it just automatically pops to the left of it).

Anyone have any tips?

View attachment 1986860
how did you even get your displays to look like this?
I have an iPad Pro and MBP 14" on the same iCloud acct and network but when I open displays on my MBP it looks totally different.

Can only see my iPad as an 'extend to display' using the add display bottom left.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-05-18 at 16.39.54.png
    Screenshot 2022-05-18 at 16.39.54.png
    293.4 KB · Views: 73

jOlivier

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2022
how did you even get your displays to look like this?
I have an iPad Pro and MBP 14" on the same iCloud acct and network but when I open displays on my MBP it looks totally different.

Can only see my iPad as an 'extend to display' using the add display bottom left.
So weird. When I have a second monitor plugged in, it displays both of them in Settings. Might have something to do with the fact you're using an UltraFine monitor, or maybe have it plugged in via HDMI? Sorry, not sure how I can help.

lewisc5

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2022
I found that even if I switch users / accounts on one mac, if that user is still logged in in the background I can't get it to work. I need to completely log out the other user.

So far Universal Control has been awesome. My use case is that my personal computer is way more powerful than my work computer, so I do all of my editing work on it, but now with universal control, I can slide over to my work computer to do emails / slack / zoom without having to readjust to the other mouse & keyboard anymore :)

thefriendshipmachine

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2017
My mac studio stopped showing my two macbooks. Same wifi, bluetooth on, same icloud account. Handoff works. Rebooted and still doesn't see it.

The two macbooks can see each other and universal display works between them.

Very VERY frustrating. Everything is setup correctly, no firewalls, little snitch disabled even. The mac studio just wont see the two macbooks anymore. It worked the other day and for whatever reason just decided to permanently die.

The most frustrating part is that I can even still mirror to one of the macbooks (but not the other lol) from the studio, but I can't do uni display. Aghhhdfgdfgdfgdfgdfgdf

makdeniss

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2011
European Union
My mac studio stopped showing my two macbooks. Same wifi, bluetooth on, same icloud account. Handoff works. Rebooted and still doesn't see it.

The two macbooks can see each other and universal display works between them.

Very VERY frustrating. Everything is setup correctly, no firewalls, little snitch disabled even. The mac studio just wont see the two macbooks anymore. It worked the other day and for whatever reason just decided to permanently die.

The most frustrating part is that I can even still mirror to one of the macbooks (but not the other lol) from the studio, but I can't do uni display. Aghhhdfgdfgdfgdfgdfgdf
just try to log out of icloud on all machines and then re-login one by one. This solved it to me.

fernandoaleman

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2019
just try to log out of icloud on all machines and then re-login one by one. This solved it to me.
I have a 2016 MBP and a 2020 13" M1 MBP both running macOS Monterrey and can't get Universal Control working. I've tried all the suggestions on this thread including logging out of iCloud and logging back in on both Macs, disabling/enabling Universal Control in System Preferences on both Macs, making sure the Macs are sitting right next to each other, confirming hand-off/wifi/bluetooth are enabled on both Macs. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

bug

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2004
Vancouver, BC
I have a 2016 MBP and a 2020 13" M1 MBP both running macOS Monterrey and can't get Universal Control working. I've tried all the suggestions on this thread including logging out of iCloud and logging back in on both Macs, disabling/enabling Universal Control in System Preferences on both Macs, making sure the Macs are sitting right next to each other, confirming hand-off/wifi/bluetooth are enabled on both Macs. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Same here. Three computers that it should be able to work on (M1 MBP 16", M2 MBA, 2018 Mac mini). The best I can get is that SOMETIMES on the mini I can add the MBP as a display, but I've never even seen the 'share keyboard and mouse' option in the 'add display' menu - on any of these computers. All the stuff is on, yes they are close to each other, no I don't have firewalls, yes I've logged out of iCloud and logged back in.

One annoying aspect of macOs is that if something doesn't work the UI element just gets hidden - so there's no way I can force it to try and get an error back about why it isn't working. Is there some terminal command I can run that explicitly tries to connect to a target computer? Then at least it could tell me what the problem is.

pklapp

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2010
Thanks for this post, I was struggling to figure out why UC wasn't working for me and this was the cause.
Does this mean that it doesn't work while a VPN is active, or does it already not work with a VPN configured but inactive? Because I have tried everything and it simply doesn't work between Macs for me (with iPads it does work). Same problem with sidecar

pklapp

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2010

Same here. Three computers that it should be able to work on (M1 MBP 16", M2 MBA, 2018 Mac mini). The best I can get is that SOMETIMES on the mini I can add the MBP as a display, but I've never even seen the 'share keyboard and mouse' option in the 'add display' menu - on any of these computers. All the stuff is on, yes they are close to each other, no I don't have firewalls, yes I've logged out of iCloud and logged back in.

One annoying aspect of macOs is that if something doesn't work the UI element just gets hidden - so there's no way I can force it to try and get an error back about why it isn't working. Is there some terminal command I can run that explicitly tries to connect to a target computer? Then at least it could tell me what the problem is.

I have the same issue as well: MBP 14 M1 + MPA M2 both on Ventura, Bluetooth/Wifi working, universal control service restarted, macs restarted, logged on and off with icloud, Firewall deactivated, etc. Universal control de- and reactivated. No chance. Works for both macs with iPads, but not between each others. Any ideas

lewisc5

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2022
Does this mean that it doesn't work while a VPN is active, or does it already not work with a VPN configured but inactive? Because I have tried everything and it simply doesn't work between Macs for me (with iPads it does work). Same problem with sidecar
When one of my computers connects to vpn, it stops working. It starts up again after I disconnect and am just on the home wifi.

michaelprescott

Suspended
Aug 5, 2010
Universal Control is amazing, fluid, seamless, natural, intuitive, and productive till it is not. And, that is the problem. It just works effortlessly, perfectly then it stops at the most inopportune time leaving you scrambling to grab other keyboards and devices.

I've two iMacs and an iPad and when it is working my workflow is amazing. I can run build operations and tasks on one iMac slide files back and forth and work in other tools and apps on the other iMac, then test applications I'm developing on the iPad that have just been built or updated, all from one keyboard and trackpad. And then it stops working. "Bumping" the edge of the screen a few times can restore it, sometimes, but often it just leaves you frustratingly tapping the edge trying over and over and failing. I've tried killing UniversalControl process, reconnecting, turning bluetooth on and off, same for WiFi and LAN and even rebooting all devices, and when it has decided to stop working none of those efforts and tactics nor any of the tips that others have provided work. It simply "decides" not to work for a while and then inexplicably begins working again. It also frustratingly senses the wrong layout or location of devices.

I think Apple is trying to make it too seamless and automatic by NOT providing a configurable layout and permanently defined connectivity between devices. They're cleverly trying to make it completely automated and in doing so, whatever wireless dependencies and signal analytics they use for estimating the layout and connections is failing from perhaps interference or intermittent outages. They should provide both, a way to sense and automatically enable it, and a way to lock down the configuration and layout so that when signals are intermittent it will most quickly heal the connectivity and resume operation. Even more, if they provided such user configurable settings then features like Thunderbolt connectivity between iMacs or other devices could use the full bandwidth (40Gbps) throughput and keyboard+mouse+trackpad+file transfer would operate perfectly with no lag or disconnect.

If anyone knows how to get into the guts of this feature to hack a static configuration, it would be perfect. Till then, we're all left with a wonderful feature that works only sometimes. Which is like having a car that MIGHT get you from point A to point B, but sometimes stops running half way to your destination. So, you do your best to never become completely dependent on it.

And all of that brings to mind, are there any similar 3rd party solutions? I've another machine that is dedicated to CI/CD and not part of Universal Control, which I remote into, that connection and interface remains live 24 hours a day every day and never disconnects or fails. If remote client vendors can do it, surely Apple can, but this thing has been buggy for months now and I'd be willing to buy a stable reliable solution.

Edit: I'm here now because it is failing, yet again. I've found no reliable way to restore it. This time I was able to get it to restore functionality by copying a file to clipboard. You may notice similar success. When you select a file on one device and select "Copy" your other device (iMac) will show a dialog that the file is being copied even if you don't actually move your cursor or focus from one Mac to the other. When that happens you can check the display layout and find all devices shown, but likely in odd positions. Choose "Arrange" and correct the positions, and the service begins working correctly again, for a while. Again, this does not always work, but it does sometimes when all other techniques have failed.

Last edited:

paulmeyers42

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2014
It stops working for me when I have multiple users logged into my Mac. Once I log them out, it works fine. Very strange but I’ve been able to reproduce it reliably.

Reactions: makdeniss

makdeniss

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2011
European Union
It stops working for me when I have multiple users logged into my Mac. Once I log them out, it works fine. Very strange but I’ve been able to reproduce it reliably.
yep I can confirm also this scenario. But it does sometimes also work… and then just stop as one poster noticed above. Then after some time it just starts working again…

chrisf60647

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
It's just buggy. I love UC and rely on it for work but it just disconnects too much. That being said, it most likely is something blocking it on my work laptop but without more settings for UC, I can't really know this. If it never worked I'd accept it but it works sometimes with no pattern.

Too bad. I love it.

moebis

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
Slovakia
Happened again today after behaving for the last 3 weeks (well copy/paste and drag and drop were always hit or miss). But between my Mac Studio and my MacBook Pro, the keyboard and mouse being shared from the Studio worked great, then it just stopped. I tried all of the old tricks, disabled handoff and UC, rebooted (both machines) turned back on in order. Still nothing. One thing I noticed is that my Studio and my MacBook could see the iPad as another display, but couldn't see each other.

FINAL FIX: I logged out of iCloud on my Mac Studio AND MacBook Pro. Then I logged back in on both. Turned off handoff one last time and then back on again, and viola! It's started working again (and I each Mac could see each others displays using the "+")... what a pain, I had to delete all of my synced data (email, contacts, etc) and let it resent after logging into iCloud again. Apple has to fix this bug. It's terrible.

pullman

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2008
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'm not getting this to work on my cMP3,1 running Monterey via Open Core and my 2015 MBA 11" running Monterey natively. Both are fully updated 12.7.4 (21H1123).

The MBA's System Preferences does not have the Display Settings button under Displays. But the MBA sees the cMP3,1 under Add Display, whereas the Mac Pro doesn't.

VPN disconnected on both, only one user account on both, both connected to the same AppleID and on the same wifi network. The cMP3,1 has an upgraded wifi/bt card too.

Does anyone have an idea?

Cheers
Philip

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.