Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samdev

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
If you happen to have an existing iPhone app in the AppStore, and wish to develop an iPad version of it,
what route would you go? Universal or HD?

An Universal app would combine both iPhone/iPad versions, while the HD app would support
the iPad version only.

I was thinking maybe the HD version might be better for sales, since it splits the app
into two separate products. More apps to sell. :)

And splitting the app up into two products would mean a smaller file size for each one.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I would say it depends on how different the iPad version is from the iPhone version... if your iPad version adds in a lot of new functionality that isn't in the iPhone version, then go ahead and sell it separately.

If both versions do more or less the same thing but are organized differently for the different screen sizes, then just make it universal. They're both worth the same amount, and I don't think you'll gain anything other than annoyed customers if you make it two separate apps (IE, you run the risk of them purchasing the wrong version for their device from their computer.)

Greencardman

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2003
Madison, WI
Yeah, I would keep HD versions to versions that add in more UI functionality and new features because they were designed specifically for the iPad. If you just move a few elements around, it doesn't seem like its really a separate app.

Also, it matters what market you're in. A game could have an HD version, because you would need to redo the art and presumably the controls, so it makes sense to sell it again. If you have a productivity app, and people can't get to their data unless they shell out for the iPad version, you may have a user revolt on your hands.

samdev

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, it's true, a person can purchase any app, for any device, running on any iOS version, in the appStore.
If they don't read the details, then may be stuck with an app that only runs on the iPad.

I've seen the "HD version" of some popular game apps in the top charts, so I assume most people know
"HD" usually means iPad only. But, it may make sense to release an Universal app to cover all compatibility
possibilities, if HD version is not different in functionality.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
as I customer I look mainly for universal apps ... I think the sales is not much impacted; hardly I would pay twice for the same.
But I'm also ok to pay a bit more for a universal app as I understand that the effort can be a bit higher.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
A game could have an HD version, because you would need to redo the art and presumably the controls, so it makes sense to sell it again. If you have a productivity app, and people can't get to their data unless they shell out for the iPad version, you may have a user revolt on your hands.

I disagree with this. It's the same levels and same engine with the same modes, and therefore the same game. It requires minimal effort on the part of the programmer. It requires the artists to make their images at more resolutions than they would provide otherwise, perhaps, but their workflow should keep such scalings mostly automated so that the actual effort they have to put in should similarly be minimal.

I would make a Universal Mac/iPad/iPhone version of my game if it were possible, but I don't think Apple allows such a combination, so I believe I'll be selling a Mac version and an identical (content wise) universal version for iOS.

jnoxx

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2010
Aartselaar // Antwerp // Belgium
The problem I have is with content for a client..
Apple has a real bad case of dividing the data in the app. I know it's not that easy. But Basically, if you upload an app with normal + retina graphics and an user installs the app, it should check which device it has and just download the normal graphics onto it.. The problem I had for a client was that his normal data was really big, and the Retina version adding on top of it was going over the 2 gigs.. (It's in my signature). I really didn't want this, and I opted for making the app basic, and let the user download all the content, but the main market was for people who don't want to do all that and just download the app and be done with it.. So I had to follow up on it and I had to make 2 seperate apps, one for the Retina iPad and one for the normal. I feel ashamed, but since the lack of better functionality in Apple's case, I had to go with that option.

For the rest, I love universal apps, you buy it on your phone, my girlfriend mostly plays on my iPad, so I want to download it there too, without rebuying an "HD" version, which mostly is just a scaled up version of something.
So normally, Universal > all. Most people say, divide it if it's something different, but I think that makes your app alot cooler if it's totally different on the Phone/Pad, but gives you the same functionality.. Just my 2 cents.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.