Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Randall said:
Once there is enough people using OS X, a virus will be made. There have been viruses for Linux, although only a handful. And there have been viruses for other UNIX based systems as well. Don't think because it hasen't happend yet that it will never happen. That's just stupid logic with no basis. The Automator would be a nice gateway to propigate a virus, belive me. There are plenty of jerks out there that want to be famous, and once one virus is written, pandoras box is open.

How many people have to be using it then? Apple says there were 10 MILLION OS X users at the last MacWorld. How many more in 1 year's time have been added? It's not like there's no Mac users out there to write a virus for..

Randall said:
Well you don't have to be a "moron" to screw up. You don't have to be l33t to know what you're doing either, but everybody makes mistakes.

Yes, but to get rooted by Opener, you have to grab a zipped file that purported to be a warez copy of MS Office from off a kazaa-like site. And it was only 300ish K in size.

Randall

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
Norwood, MA
yellow said:
How many people have to be using it then? Apple says there were 10 MILLION OS X users at the last MacWorld. How many more in 1 year's time have been added? It's not like there's no Mac users out there to write a virus for..

Yes, but to get rooted by Opener, you have to grab a zipped file that purported to be a warez copy of MS Office from off a kazaa-like site. And it was only 300ish K in size.
Well I don't know how many users have to be on OS X before somebody successfully writes a virus for it, but just because it's UNIX based doesn't mean that it's impossible to do. It is very difficult to do, and somebody has to be motivated by greed or fame or something Apple did to piss them off (switch to x86?) Not that these are good reasons, but I just wouldn't go arround assuming that it will never happen. (I'm not wearing my tinfoil cap around either though :p) Just saying that it's best to stay alert.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Randall said:
Well I don't know how many users have to be on OS X before somebody successfully writes a virus for it, but just because it's UNIX based doesn't mean that it's impossible to do.

I don't see where I ever said it was impossible. I have AV software and maintain it for all my users as a contingency against the inevitable. I WILL dispute the OP's claim that there's already viruses for OS X, as there are not. And that Opener was a virus, it was not. It was a rootkit. It required the user's willing (if not ignorant) participation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.