Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

qpid360

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 23, 2009
Pasadena, CA
Does AT&T throttle unlimited plans now? I thought these were the only plans left untouched, but my LTE speed has been crawling for the past couple of days. I tried googling, but couldn't find a concrete answer.

Nextel000

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2010
Does AT&T throttle unlimited plans now? I thought these were the only plans left untouched, but my LTE speed has been crawling for the past couple of days. I tried googling, but couldn't find a concrete answer.

What's your current usage at right now?

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
LTE is throttled typically at 5gb/mo. If you go over, they usually send out a text warning you before you go over that you should switch to WIFI.

The 5gb isn't 100% guaranteed to get throttled, however. For example, one month I didn't get throttled until 6.5gb of use.

----------

What's your current usage at right now?

If you don't know how to check. Go to "phone" and dial *DATA#

Then you'll get a text showing you your usage for the current billing period.

qpid360

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 23, 2009
Pasadena, CA
Oops, I didn't make it clear in my original post. I'm talking about grandfathered unlimited data plans for the iPad. I thought these were exempt from throttling, or at least it has been for years. I actually left all summer for Army basic combat training and it was never throttled prior to my departure. Of course, as soon as I got it back, I went a little data crazy. I'm pretty sure I blew through 5 gigs, but the stats aren't accurate.

So if AT&T started throttling these plans, did it happen recently?

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
Oops, I didn't make it clear in my original post. I'm talking about grandfathered unlimited data plans for the iPad. I thought these were exempt from throttling, or at least it has been for years. I actually left all summer for Army basic combat training and it was never throttled prior to my departure. Of course, as soon as I got it back, I went a little data crazy. I'm pretty sure I blew through 5 gigs, but the stats aren't accurate.

I can't speak for grandfathered iPad plans. I have a grandfathered phone plan and just tether it to my iPad for data use on my pad.

JOSE891

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2012
Las Vegas

Maybe because it's prepaid you have lower priority on the towers?
Just a thought.

Nextel000

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2010

I have the same plan and my usage right now is 7GB, I've not been throttled, and current speeds are 40mb down and 10mb up right now

Reactions: appleforme

Nextel000

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2010
Are you talking about your iPhone Grandfathered Unlimited data?

I don't have the iphone unlimited data plan, I have the ipad unlimited data plan and I've never been throttled with this plan, like I stated earlier, my usage is at 7GB with no throttling

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
I don't have the iphone unlimited data plan, I have the ipad unlimited data plan and I've never been throttled with this plan, like I stated earlier, my usage is at 7GB with no throttling

I have an AT&T iPad unlimited data plan. I've never been throttled.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
What is the maximum amount of data that could theoretically be downloaded in a month at LTE speeds? How could you possible abuse a network? Is someone capable of overcoming the maximum hardware speed?

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
What is the maximum amount of data that could theoretically be downloaded in a month at LTE speeds? How could you possible abuse a network? Is someone capable of overcoming the maximum hardware speed?

Uh, a lot at 30Mbps or so. If you could sustain that it'd be over 300GB per day.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Theoretically, at 72Mbps, ~22TB in 30 days. Realistically, I get ~10-15Mbps throughput on LTE so based on that, ~3.1-4.6TB in 30 days. At 10Mbps, you can use up a 5GB allocation in a little over an hour of continuous use. :rolleyes:

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
Thanks for the examples and your comments.
A couple of comments and questions to expand in the topics:
1- the unlimited data plans started with EDGE and 3G, right? The carriers practice of keeping you under a contract by renewing it drove us up to LTE. For EDGE we were paying $20/month, then for 3G they bumped the price to $30/month.
What are the max. amounts of data that can be downloaded at those speeds?
2- It is my impression based on what I have seen over the years in other threads that the US carriers plans are a better deal when compared to other countries except others in Europe and Asia. They are use to overcharge us, similarly to cable operators and home ISP.
3- It is 2013, and we are almost in 2014, the amount of data should not be considered such as big, the data hog paradigm should be obsolete. Back in the 80s a modem connection of 300bps was the standard and a 3.5" floppy with 800K was enough to boot your Mac and do some quality stuff. There were no data cellphones. Over time things evolve to bigger faster better and should be lower cost (this have not changed much).
4- HD video is evolving into UHD and 4K, Retina Displays and so forth are already here. But the big size of the market is still texting and tweeting and updating Facebook status, and doing simple things that even when they are paying for 2GB of data they are not fully using them, and the carrier doesn't give you a roll over service: it is use it or loose it, but if you use a little bit more than your quota you pay a bigger price.
5- Roaming charges are ridiculous. Hopefully T-Mobile move could help to adjust that market.

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013

In areas where the network is not as "robust" it can be serioulsy degraded by lack of bandwidth. AT&T will take steps to throttle those who abuse the system where resources are limited.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I think any expectation to stream video over cellular is unrealistic, especially with metered plans. It doesn't matter how it is done in other countries. The US is huge and the cost of installing and maintaining cellular networks is enormous. So no, we don't have unlimited streaming. It's about $10 per GB. So if you want to stream video, be prepared to pay. Streaming music is a little better, but if you insist on listening to hours and hours and hours of Pandora every day, also be prepared to pay. The state of the cellular networks in the US is such that they are not designed to replace wifi or wired connections. Will they ever? Maybe. But given the vast geographic distances plus all the competing demands on the spectrum, unlikely. So for those wanting to do a LOT of video and music over cellular, save yourself the grief and get a 128GB iPad. My $0.02.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
AT&T throttles all unlimited plans (use as much as you want but they'll define how fast)

No need to throttle by the GB plans as you're actually paying for use.

This is hardly a new topic.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
AT&T throttles all unlimited plans (use as much as you want but they'll define how fast).

Not the iPad unlimited plans they don't. The iPhone unlimited plans they do. My guess is that there are very few unlimited iPad data plans left, and those left are not serial abusers.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Not the iPad unlimited plans they don't. The iPhone unlimited plans they do. My guess is that there are very few unlimited iPad data plans left, and those left are not serial abusers.

It is highly unlikely that there is no throttling on ipad unlimited. Highly.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
1- the unlimited data plans started with EDGE and 3G, right? The carriers practice of keeping you under a contract by renewing it drove us up to LTE. For EDGE we were paying $20/month, then for 3G they bumped the price to $30/month.
What are the max. amounts of data that can be downloaded at those speeds?
On EDGE, I remember getting around 500Kbps so ~5GB/day or ~154GB/month. On 3G/HSPA, I was getting around 5Mbps so ~53GB/day or ~1.5TB/month.

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
AT&T throttles all unlimited plans (use as much as you want but they'll define how fast)

No need to throttle by the GB plans as you're actually paying for use.

This is hardly a new topic.
AT&T DOES NOT throttle the iPad unlimited data plan. The iPhone and iPad unlimited data terms of service agreements are different.

The iPad plan is NEVER throttled.

----------

Post proof or shut up. Quit spewing speculative nonsense.
Indeed!

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
pretty incredible that they dont throttle the ipad unlimited plan, that plan is golden

$30/mo for internet anywhere, **** I would use that for my home internet. ATT LTE is faster than my current cable service. Latency is good enough too.. what a deal!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.