Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
How feasible is it that I can sell a line on my family plan that has unlimited data? Will the owner transfer kill the data plan?

I have 3 lines with unlimited data that are now going to go to waste due to my family members streamlining their budgets or leaving the country. However, I am still staying so, with 3 lines, I would like to earn a profit on the value of the data plan.

This is on AT&T by the way.

JoshGlzBrk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2009
How feasible is it that I can sell a line on my family plan that has unlimited data? Will the owner transfer kill the data plan?

I have 3 lines with unlimited data that are now going to go to waste due to my family members streamlining their budgets or leaving the country. However, I am still staying so, with 3 lines, I would like to earn a profit on the value of the data plan.

This is on AT&T by the way.

Have you looked at the page about transferring billing liability for a line? As far as I know, the unlimited data feature will be kept in tact. But keep in mind, the number attached to the line will be transferred with it, and porting the number out will cancel the line and unlimited data along with it. So make sure those family members are fine with losing their number.

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB94735&cv=820#fbid=wcxP15HYrhF

ugcop

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Traveling @ Warp Speed ...... USA
AT&T no longer allows transfer of liability of a number that has any plan that is no longer available. In short you can no longer transfer "unlimited" to another person. AT&T wants those plans to go away.

I'm sure somebody will post that they know 5 people who have done this but that was in the past. Like everything else that loophole has been closed.

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
AT&T no longer allows transfer of liability of a number that has any plan that is no longer available. In short you can no longer transfer "unlimited" to another person. AT&T wants those plans to go away.

I'm sure somebody will post that they know 5 people who have done this but that was in the past. Like everything else that loophole has been closed.

LOL! There goes the OP's retirement plan!:p

james92se

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Dallas, TX

Is this stated in on any AT&T documents/guides/etc? The link above doesn't seem to have any caveats relating to whether or not the plan has to be a plan that is currently available.

My phone has been in my mom's name forever (she got the line back in '94). I would like to transfer it to mine but never even figured to mess with it for risk of losing my unlimited data. We tried a few years back but it was a convoluted process in which we both had to be on a conference call with AT&T and never got around to it.

The AT&T link above looks like any non-past due plan can be transferred just fine, and all done online too which seems really easy. I would like to do it but what you said gives me hesitation even though AT&T doesn't say that anywhere in the link. I should also add that I have a FAN discount through my work set-up so I don't know how that would affect it either.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
I do not understand why people think there is value in the AT&T unlimited data plan. It's not guaranteed unlimited, as they throttle in some markets. Not too mention, they don't allow one to transfer it. You can only transfer the voice plan. The person taking over your account MUST subscribe to current features.

Verizon IS ANOTHER STORY. The OP is SOL!

james92se

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Dallas, TX
I do not understand why people think there is value in the AT&T unlimited data plan. It's not guaranteed unlimited, as they throttle in some markets. Not too mention, they don't allow one to transfer it. You can only transfer the voice plan. The person taking over your account MUST subscribe to current features.

You're right. I read that link on AT&T's website earlier on my phone and must have missed it. I just re-read it again on my desktop at work and it clearly states (in regard to the person taking over the account) "you'll need to select currently offered rate plans/features".

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan

You are correct in that if you can't transfer it--then it has no value to anyone else obviously. However, if you've got the unlimited on AT&T then it is most definitely valuable to the person that owns it. Even if you get throttled, you get a lot more data for the money you pay than with the current plans. Also, AT&T seems to be relaxing its throttling policy. Who knows? Maybe they will stop throttling unlimited users altogether at some point if enough people switch away from these old plans.

I do agree that the Verizon unlimited plan is currently better--no question about that. AT&T's unlimited comes in second though.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
You CAN transfer it, but it has to be done via a 3 way conference call with AT&T customer service. I'm also not 100% sure if you can just "sell" a line like that. I think the entire family plan with all of the lines has to be "moved" at once. Very similar to VZW. You can't split up a 5 line VZW plan and sell it to 5 people. It has to go to one person.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
Dam, well there goes the plan I had in mind. Seems like I'll end up canceling all lines (except mine) and all those unlimited plans will die. This will be a slaughter.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
So I think I have said this before, but I will try again. So AT&T says they do not allow transfers of unlimited data plans any more. Technically speaking no you can not transfer unlimited data, but here's the thing. Like getting an iPhone 5 unlocked from att before the contract is up. It is a case by case thing. I have been with AT&T for over 15 years, and I asked to have my iPhone 5 unlocked after only having it for 5 months. They unlocked it no questions asked. Also when the iPhone 5 was released I was not eligible for an upgrade. If I wanted it I would technically have to pay $250 more for an early upgrade. I called and talked to about 3 separate CS reps, and they allowed me to upgrade without that fee. Again technically they are suppose to charge me $250 on top of the $200 cost of the iPhone 5. The same can be said for the unlimited data transfer. It may take some calling, but it can be done. If you are looking for it just to be a simply process it will not, but if you really want to try it. I would say it can work.

jent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2010
Last month I transferred my fiancée, who has unlimited data, to my AT&T family plan; she kept her unlimited data. AT&T authorized resellers can't do it but if you ask around you'll find AT&T reps that know what they're doing. There is an $18 fee to do it in-person or over the phone. Your mileage may vary but I certainly did it with my local AT&T store's help.

Eternal 28

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2008
Did your fiancée have the same area code as your other lines? Some stores say you have to have the same area code in order to transfer. Thanks

jent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2010
Did your fiancée have the same area code as your other lines? Some stores say you have to have the same area code in order to transfer. Thanks
No, she has a different area code as the rest of us but same state. The AT&T rep said he suspected it would work as long as we were in the same regional market. I'm not sure how the company defines its markets but we've been fine for a month now and she still has her unlimited data.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
Thank you to those who responded. I have sold all three lines and successfully transferred billing responsibility of them.

I did get a nice bonus out of those plans. I got a whopping 32 private messages asking for those three lines. However, I had to be fair and go on the first come first served (with nice incentives that is).

Yes there were some transfer fees ($18) as they were done over the phone, but it ensured proper plan transfer and not complete loss. Weird since I did a billing transfer once from my account to my cousin's ling ago, but any who, I wasn't paying the $18 anyways.

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013

I find it of GREAT value. I seldom use over the AT&T limit, but what makes it worth it to me is I simply do not worry about it and never even check my data usage.

Not obsessed because I do not need to be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.