Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 3, 2013
Is it possible to use the iPhone as a hotspot without it counting towards tethered data?

My wife and I are looking to do some traveling on the road and I'd like to get T-Mobile Magenta Max which has unlimited usage but not unlimited tethering - which is a stupid limitation. Does anyone know of a way around this?

titoaida2078

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2020
Is it possible to use the iPhone as a hotspot without it counting towards tethered data?

My wife and I are looking to do some traveling on the road and I'd like to get T-Mobile Magenta Max which has unlimited usage but not unlimited tethering - which is a stupid limitation. Does anyone know of a way around this?

I don’t think it’s stupid but how much data do you think you need?

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
It's very easy to chew through 20GB of tethered data in less than a month when streaming movies + downloading updates.
But if you don't stream movies, 20GB/mo should be plenty

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011

There is a T-Mobile plan that has an international option for an additional $25. The international part isn't important in this case, but the fact that it allows unlimited tethering is.

I am not sure if you can still get it (it was mentioned the other day on the T-Mobile subreddit (on Reddit)) but might be worth looking in to.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 3, 2013
I don’t think it’s stupid but how much data do you think you need?
For two people to work, watch movies, listen to music, podcasts for a month?

It's stupid because I'm paying for the data, why should a carrier get a say in saying it has to be used from my iPhone and not my Mac? Totally asinine, on my UK contract that costs a fraction of a T-Mobile plan it's *actually* unlimited because we have consumer protections over there and I can tether all day without restrictions.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 3, 2013
There is a T-Mobile plan that has an international option for an additional $25. The international part isn't important in this case, but the fact that it allows unlimited tethering is.

I am not sure if you can still get it (it was mentioned the other day on the T-Mobile subreddit (on Reddit)) but might be worth looking in to.
Thanks, I'll look into it.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
For two people to work, watch movies, listen to music, podcasts for a month?

It's stupid because I'm paying for the data, why should a carrier get a say in saying it has to be used from my iPhone and not my Mac? Totally asinine, on my UK contract that costs a fraction of a T-Mobile plan it's *actually* unlimited because we have consumer protections over there and I can tether all day without restrictions.
Think of it as a company giving you unlimited fuel for your car for a fixed monthly fee.

So you start siphoning fuel out of your car to run a generator 24/7 at home to power your house.

The company entered in the agreement with you with the understanding that they'd be paying for fuel used by the car. Some people use more than they're paying for, some people use less. But overall it works out on average to make the company money.

Running the generator will use a lot more fuel and suddenly you're losing the company money. If everyone does it...

It's the same idea with tethering. A Mac tethered to a phone uses a lot more bandwidth than the phone typically would on its own. Multiply that if you have your whole household tethering. It's not sustainable. If they couldn't differentiate, they wouldn't be able to offer the unlimited plan.

Believe me, I used to think your way too. There's a lot more nuance to this stuff though.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Think of it as a company giving you unlimited fuel for your car for a fixed monthly fee.

So you start siphoning fuel out of your car to run a generator 24/7 at home to power your house.

The company entered in the agreement with you with the understanding that they'd be paying for fuel used by the car. Some people use more than they're paying for, some people use less. But overall it works out on average to make the company money.

Running the generator will use a lot more fuel and suddenly you're losing the company money. If everyone does it...

It's the same idea with tethering. A Mac tethered to a phone uses a lot more bandwidth than the phone typically would on its own. Multiply that if you have your whole household tethering. It's not sustainable. If they couldn't differentiate, they wouldn't be able to offer the unlimited plan.

Believe me, I used to think your way too. There's a lot more nuance to this stuff though.
I'm not sure this analogy equates.

You are equating unlimited gas to unlimited data. That's fair enough. But tethering is a different thing. If we use your analogy I think it'd be better to say that you're given an allotment of gas to power your generator. The company knows you are going to power a generator because they've given you that allotment.

Now…if you suddenly decide that it's more of a benefit to you to power your house solely on a generator (screw the electric company) then you're going to use that allotment for your generator quickly. This is equivalent to telling your ISP to take a hike because you're running your home network through your phone. People do that.

The carriers know that tethered devices use more data and bandwidth (as you have stated). This is why they have caps on tethering. So, basically I do agree with you. Just had a little quibble with the analogy.

PS. I routinely use over 1TB of data each month with Cox, my ISP. Aside from the fact that T-Mobile would have terminated me a long time ago I just cannot imagine the idea of running 20+ devices (many of them PowerMacs and Mac Pros) through one device. This is a major reason I do not subscribe to T-Mobile Home Internet.

Reactions: HDFan and mk313

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
PS. I routinely use over 1TB of data each month with Cox, my ISP. Aside from the fact that T-Mobile would have terminated me a long time ago I just cannot imagine the idea of running 20+ devices (many of them PowerMacs and Mac Pros) through one device. This is a major reason I do not subscribe to T-Mobile Home Internet.

In all fairness, my iPhone has a way more powerful processor than my router. Only issue there (apart from bandwidth caps) is the lack of a wired connection and cellular networks are already congested in my area (I'd be lucky to even get 5-10 Mbps).

Reactions: max2 and eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
In all fairness, my iPhone has a way more powerful processor than my router. Only issue there (apart from bandwidth caps) is the lack of a wired connection and cellular networks are already congested in my area (I'd be lucky to even get 5-10 Mbps).
I'm paying my ISP for Gigabit speeds, along with unlimited data. My home network utilizes an ASUS router with gigabit ports and two networks for 2.4Ghz and 5ghz wireless. I have a 24 port Gigabit switch plugged into the router and any device I want getting the fastest speeds is plugged into the switch.

I work from home over an office VPN with files that average 20-350mb. So that accounts for most of my heavy data use.

Reactions: max2

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 3, 2013

So why is it that in my genuinely unlimited UK contract (which costs less) there are zero tethering restrictions? In fact I can't find a UK carrier with tethering restrictions period.

Have you ever stopped to think it's because US carriers can lie and screw over their customers with little to no repercussions? Why is it my US carrier can say they offer unlimited data - but then cap said data to 35GB or whatever? All this does is force me to use my iPhone to do the same thing I would on my Mac. US carriers and ISP's suck badly.

I might look at finding a device I could ran a flashed ROM on to get round the arbitrary restrictions.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I'm paying my ISP for Gigabit speeds, along with unlimited data. My home network utilizes an ASUS router with gigabit ports and two networks for 2.4Ghz and 5ghz wireless. I have a 24 port Gigabit switch plugged into the router and any device I want getting the fastest speeds is plugged into the switch.

I work from home over an office VPN with files that average 20-350mb. So that accounts for most of my heavy data use.

My point was the iPhone itself is very powerful and could likely handle VPN encryption and routing duties on a gigabit network faster than the ASUS router can (which likely has a 2GHz quad-core ARM Cortex A53 at best). Honestly, the A14 is probably way overkill.

What sucks on the iPhone is the cellular network and wi-fi radios (and obviously software isn't really designed for it). Apple doesn't allow hotspot via USB to ethernet adapter but if they did, you can theoretically connect from USB to a gigabit switch and wireless access point/mesh.

Again though, the cellular network is the bottleneck unless you're lucky enough to get 5G UW, are close to the tower and don't have any obstructions (open window?).

Reactions: max2 and eyoungren

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
T-Mobile use to have Unlimited Tethering for a extra $25 a month but they removed that feature a year or more ago :(

cousintim

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2015
I routinely use over 1TB of data each month with Cox, my ISP. Aside from the fact that T-Mobile would have terminated me a long time ago I just cannot imagine the idea of running 20+ devices (many of them PowerMacs and Mac Pros) through one device. This is a major reason I do not subscribe to T-Mobile Home Internet.

"There are no data caps on [T-Mobile's] 5G Home Internet service."

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
True, but T-Mobile Home Internet gets a lower priority on the towers than a mobile phone.
That is another consideration of mine. I work from home (have since the pandemic started) and while I do not deal with large files, I deal with multiple files that can add up. I also have some files open over the internet, so slow speeds or inconsistent speeds are a detriment.

LogicalApex

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2015
PA, USA

You’re reading this wrong.

Magenta Max does include unlimited tethering, but it doesn’t include unlimited “high speed” tethering. You get 40GB of unrestricted tethering and once that’s been exhausted it gets slowed down to “3G” speeds, but it isn’t blocked.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 3, 2013
You’re reading this wrong.

Magenta Max does include unlimited tethering, but it doesn’t include unlimited “high speed” tethering. You get 40GB of unrestricted tethering and once that’s been exhausted it gets slowed down to “3G” speeds, but it isn’t blocked.

Still horse**** naming conventions and completely illegal in the rest of the civilized world where I have *actual* unlimited 5G + unlimited tethering.

LogicalApex

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2015
PA, USA
Still horse**** naming conventions and completely illegal in the rest of the civilized world where I have *actual* unlimited 5G + unlimited tethering.

T-Mobile has both unlimited 5G and unlimited tethering. They just don’t give you unlimited tethering at 5G speeds. Once you cross 40GB they slow you down. I am sure very few people hit that limit… But even if you did you aren’t locked out…

I doubt many carriers around the world are giving out unlimited tethering at 5G speeds unless the country is smaller. Otherwise you’ll get serious congestion issues until 5G is much more widely deployed.

T-Mobile US has deployed more 5G than any other carrier globally in the counties those carriers operate in respectively.

Reactions: mk313

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 3, 2013
T-Mobile has both unlimited 5G and unlimited tethering. They just don’t give you unlimited tethering at 5G speeds. Once you cross 40GB they slow you down. I am sure very few people hit that limit… But even if you did you aren’t locked out…

I doubt many carriers around the world are giving out unlimited tethering at 5G speeds unless the country is smaller. Otherwise you’ll get serious congestion issues until 5G is much more widely deployed.

T-Mobile US has deployed more 5G than any other carrier globally in the counties those carriers operate in respectively.
You sound like a T-Mobile shill.

Unlimited but 'at 3G speeds' is crap and is clearly not unlimited and is deceptive marketing.

The UK's telecoms industry is far superior than the corrupt, backwards US. I pay more for my US ISP and mobile SIMs than I do for my UK ISP and SIMs. Yet in the UK I get a better service that is truly unlimited and costs me far less than what T-Mobile are selling this fake unlimited contact at. Not only that I can use my UK SIM across the whole of Europe, US, Canada, Mexico, Australia, and New Zealand like I was at home for LESS than what T-Mobile offer for a domestic SIM.

You clearly have only lived in the US if you think their service is reasonable and their marketing practices are acceptable.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011

Unlimited but 'at 3G speeds' is crap and is clearly not unlimited and is deceptive marketing.

The UK's telecoms industry is far superior than the corrupt, backwards US. I pay more for my US ISP and mobile SIMs than I do for my UK ISP and SIMs. Yet in the UK I get a better service that is truly unlimited and costs me far less than what T-Mobile are selling this fake unlimited contact at. Not only that I can use my UK SIM across the whole of Europe, US, Canada, Mexico, Australia, and New Zealand like I was at home for LESS than what T-Mobile offer for a domestic SIM.

You clearly have only lived in the US if you think their service is reasonable and their marketing practices are acceptable.
You can blame Sprint. Sprint introduced unlimited data. I know what you're thinking: unlimited = no limits. No limit on speed, no limit on amount of data used, no limit on where or how you can use it (or when) and no limit on how you choose to use it.

The word 'unlimited' was chosen specifically as a marketing term. Sprint (and now all the others) never meant for it to mean what the dictionary says it means. I'm not defending the carriers, just stating how we got here. With the exception of drugs or vitamins and certain bald-faced lies, the US doesn't have the kinds of consumer protection laws that the UK and other countries have where you can't get away with being non-truthful in your advertising.

I am of the same opinion as you. When UD was first offered I literally took Sprint at its word. I'd rail against the company too. But the reality is that unless you have a lot of time and money in the US, pursuing something like this in the courts isn't going to happen. And the fact that no one has challenged it also means a precedent has been set as well.

So, I hear you and I agree - but it's not going to change here.

Reactions: max2

LogicalApex

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2015
PA, USA

The UK is a lot smaller than the US. The size of the US greatly increases cost as we want coverage in more than just the densely populated cities and there is a crap ton of land outside of those cities. In those cities we have much higher density as well.

T-Mobile also includes data service in over 140 countries and gives me “at home” speeds in Canada and Mexico. I use it in Canada frequently. Enjoyed it in NL and DE before the pandemic as well.

I don’t work for T-Mobile though. Just pointing out that the plan is pretty reasonable for what it offers.

Reactions: max2 and KaliYoni
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.