Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sprintsucks123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2017
NJ
Got an iPhone X on contract from sprint and I will be leaving the country (to asia) for a while but I am sure it would not work since it is locked to sprint. Sprint wouldn't help (unless I pay the full amount) and I can understand but I don't really have the money right now. are there other ways to unlock it? There seem to be many websites that claim to be selling unlock services and there are also listings on eBay for the same.
Would those work?
Can you guys suggest a legit website / eBay seller for it?
also I came across chip based unlocks like "R-sim12" do those work?

I don't mind if sprint ends up blacklisting it for getting it unlocked via 3rd party service since it would still work outside the US.

biopig

macrumors regular
May 15, 2014
Is it possible for you to return it? If yes, you can get a new phone from Apple and pay with Apple Payment Plan which means you'll get an unlocked phone while you can pay monthly to Apple instead of Sprint. Otherwise I have no idea.

Sprintsucks123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2017
NJ
Is it possible for you to return it? If yes, you can get a new phone from Apple and pay with Apple Payment Plan which means you'll get an unlocked phone while you can pay monthly to Apple instead of Sprint. Otherwise I have no idea.
No. I should gone with apple payment plan to begin with but I somehow overlooked it. Thanks, will keep that in mind for the future.

Still looking for unlocking services :/

Praesto

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
Sprint has phenomenal world wide support. They offer free text and data in over 200 countries. Just add sprint worldwide to your plan (the plan is FREE). I am going to China in a couple weeks and will be using my Sprint phone there.

I already know it works because my girlfriend has done it several times.

Edit: Additionally Sprint unlocks the phone for free after a few months of service. If you cancel their service contract you simply pay the phone off similar to all other carriers, even if purchased through Apple. Lastly, you can get a new 0% APR credit card and pay the phone off with th card and make payments to the credit card provider. It’s essentially the same thing.

fred98tj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2017
Central Luzon, Philippines
Sprint has phenomenal world wide support. They offer free text and data in over 200 countries. Just add sprint worldwide to your plan (the plan is FREE). I am going to China in a couple weeks and will be using my Sprint phone there.

Edit: Additionally Sprint unlocks the phone for free after a few months of service. If you cancel their service contract you simply pay the phone off similar to all other carriers, even if purchased through Apple. Lastly, you can get a new 0% APR credit card and pay the phone off with th card and make payments to the credit card provider. It’s essentially the same thing.

And at what cost to use the Phone overseas ?
Usually it’s relatively expensive and simply getting a sim from a local carrier is a ton cheaper.

Sprintsucks123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2017
NJ

I looked into that and what sprint offers over seas is in no way close to what the local carrier offers.
[doublepost=1511873605][/doublepost]
Usually it’s relatively expensive and simply getting a sim from a local carrier is a ton cheaper.
It is expensive. Not even remotely close to what the local carrier offers.

conifer

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2014
Buy a cheap unlocked 5s or SE from swappa. I just sold one for $95. When you get back, you can sell it on Swappa.
You won't have anxiety about losing or banging up your new phone when you travel.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
OP. Your only option is a third party unlock service. Maybe you'll get lucky as historically Sprint had been difficult.

R-SIMs are SIM Interposers. They fool the phone into thinking it's using the native network (in your case Sprint) when it's not. But they are not unlocks.

The problem with R-SIMs (and Geveys) is that they are often picky about which firmware you are using and a lot of them require the iPhone to be jailbroken first.

Lastly, Sprint's policy towards international unlocks has changed recently. Sprint feels that their international plans offer enough to their customers so they now deny international unlocks unless the phone is paid off.

There is a difference between an international unlock and a domestic unlock. The domestic unlock automatically includes the international part. International unlocks do not include domestic unlocks.

At one time swiftunlocks.com was offering Sprint unlocks. You could maybe try them as well.

Reactions: 5pctoff

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Got an iPhone X on contract from sprint and I will be leaving the country (to asia) for a while but I am sure it would not work since it is locked to sprint. Sprint wouldn't help (unless I pay the full amount) and I can understand but I don't really have the money right now. are there other ways to unlock it? There seem to be many websites that claim to be selling unlock services and there are also listings on eBay for the same.
Would those work?

I don't mind if sprint ends up blacklisting it for getting it unlocked via 3rd party service since it would still work outside the US.
Tell Sprint to unlock it only for international. They will unlock it for you.

Praesto

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
https://support.sprint.com/support/international/roaming/Beijing, China/nodevice

It is extremely low cost. Check yourself and ignore people who have no idea what they are talking about (the guy below who clearly made his account JUST to reply)

1. They are charging me $0.00 for every text, FREE TEXTING
  2. They are charging me $0.00 for data, FREE DATA (2G) You can pay for higher speeds but in most countries wifi is widely available
  3. They are charging me $0.20 per minute, talk is expensive but you can use 2G to chat through WeChat or Skype for free.

I looked into that and what sprint offers over seas is in no way close to what the local carrier offers.
[doublepost=1511873605][/doublepost]
It is expensive. Not even remotely close to what the local carrier offers.

You are absolutely clueless, good job making an account just to bash Sprint.

Here is an example of their pricing in some asian cities:

(start here to check your country: https://support.sprint.com/support/international/roaming?INTNAV=ATG:HE:SPT:INTL_TRAV)

Beijing:
https://support.sprint.com/support/international/roaming/Beijing, China/nodevice

Tokyo:
https://support.sprint.com/support/international/roaming/Tokyo, Japan/nodevice

Seoul:
https://support.sprint.com/support/international/roaming/Seoul, Korea - South/nodevice

Bangkok:
https://support.sprint.com/support/international/roaming/Bangkok, Thailand/nodevice

'Sprintsucks123' is an ignorant moron who clearly had a bad experience with Sprint and wants to spread fear uncertainty and doubt. If you are going to a remotely developed area, you will have plenty of Wifi, can use ANY one of hundreds of calling apps, and your service will be free. Data will be slow at 2G but again all developed areas have plenty of Wifi. Additionally, undeveloped area's of most asian countries have poor service and reception anyways so getting a plan there wouldn't be any different.

I don't work for Sprint, but have direct experience with their international plan and I am satisfied.

fred98tj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2017
Central Luzon, Philippines
When I had traveling to the Philippines a lot I simply used a local sim. For around $20.00 a month it gave me unlimited everything (phone, text, data) at up to LTE speeds (if I was in an area that had LTE). International phone calls were a little more and international text a little more however with any of the zillions of messaging apps and calling apps the calls and messaging were free.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
No they won't.

They changed the policy recently because they offer international features on their plans now.

If you look here: https://www.sprint.com/en/legal/unlocking-your-sprint-device you will see that the "Unlock for International Travel" section has been completely removed. Now it's a total (all or nothing) unlock policy - which means the device has to be paid off first as well as meeting all their other requirements.

Reactions: Sprintsucks123

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
No they won't.

They changed the policy recently because they offer international features on their plans now.

If you look here: https://www.sprint.com/en/legal/unlocking-your-sprint-device you will see that the "Unlock for International Travel" section has been completely removed. Now it's a total (all or nothing) unlock policy - which means the device has to be paid off first as well as meeting all their other requirements.
Wow I didn’t realize they took this off. Good thing I got mine from Apple, it’s unlocked automatically.

Reactions: eyoungren

Sprintsucks123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2017
NJ
OP. Your only option is a third party unlock service. Maybe you'll get lucky as historically Sprint had been difficult.

R-SIMs are SIM Interposers. They fool the phone into thinking it's using the native network (in your case Sprint) when it's not. But they are not unlocks.

The problem with R-SIMs (and Geveys) is that they are often picky about which firmware you are using and a lot of them require the iPhone to be jailbroken first.

Lastly, Sprint's policy towards international unlocks has changed recently. Sprint feels that their international plans offer enough to their customers so they now deny international unlocks unless the phone is paid off.

There is a difference between an international unlock and a domestic unlock. The domestic unlock automatically includes the international part. International unlocks do not include domestic unlocks.

At one time swiftunlocks.com was offering Sprint unlocks. You could maybe try them as well.

Thanks, this seems to be the only way out. Have you had any experience with swiftunlocks before?
Gevey/R sims currently work on iOS 11.x without jailbreak but what you told is 100% correct - apple could render it useless in a future update.
[doublepost=1511933217][/doublepost]

It is extremely low cost. Check yourself and ignore people who have no idea what they are talking about (the guy below who clearly made his account JUST to reply)

1. They are charging me $0.00 for every text, FREE TEXTING
  2. They are charging me $0.00 for data, FREE DATA (2G) You can pay for higher speeds but in most countries wifi is widely available
  3. They are charging me $0.20 per minute, talk is expensive but you can use 2G to chat through WeChat or Skype for free.

You are absolutely clueless, good job making an account just to bash Sprint.

Here is an example of their pricing in some asian cities:

(start here to check your country: https://support.sprint.com/support/international/roaming?INTNAV=ATG:HE:SPT:INTL_TRAV)

Beijing:

Tokyo:
https://support.sprint.com/support/international/roaming/Tokyo, Japan/nodevice

Seoul:
https://support.sprint.com/support/international/roaming/Seoul, Korea - South/nodevice

Bangkok:
https://support.sprint.com/support/international/roaming/Bangkok, Thailand/nodevice

'Sprintsucks123' is an ignorant moron who clearly had a bad experience with Sprint and wants to spread fear uncertainty and doubt. If you are going to a remotely developed area, you will have plenty of Wifi, can use ANY one of hundreds of calling apps, and your service will be free. Data will be slow at 2G but again all developed areas have plenty of Wifi. Additionally, undeveloped area's of most asian countries have poor service and reception anyways so getting a plan there wouldn't be any different.

I don't work for Sprint, but have direct experience with their international plan and I am satisfied.
Why even bother commenting when you are going to jump to conclusions with my username? Lol
I'll be going to India where the cost per month is ~$5 (1gb LTE data everyday along with unlimited calls and texts) apparently first time users get 2 months for free. So basically ~$5 gets me 1gb 4g LTE + unlimited texts & calls for 3 months (which is approximately my period of stay)
Now tell me who is the moron here?
(Look up "jio" if it sounds too good to be true)
Just because you're satisfied doesn't mean everyone needs to be.
I would go with what seems to be the best option for me and you should do the same too instead of talking out of your ass.
[doublepost=1511933300][/doublepost]
They denied since it's on contract, which is totally understandable.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Thanks, this seems to be the only way out. Have you had any experience with swiftunlocks before?
Gevey/R sims currently work on iOS 11.x without jailbreak but what you told is 100% correct - apple could render it useless in a future update.
I have no experience with swiftunlocks. I've never needed an unlock service.

However I know someone here on the forum who uses them a lot. Recently, he and a few others used them to unlock some Boost iPhone SE's on a promo before Boost got wise to the fact. They had no issues.

Reactions: Sprintsucks123

Praesto

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
Why even bother commenting when you are going to jump to conclusions with my username? Lol
I'll be going to India where the cost per month is ~$5 (1gb LTE data everyday along with unlimited calls and texts) apparently first time users get 2 months for free. So basically ~$5 gets me 1gb 4g LTE + unlimited texts & calls for 3 months (which is approximately my period of stay)
Now tell me who is the moron here?
(Look up "jio" if it sounds too good to be true)
Just because you're satisfied doesn't mean everyone needs to be.
I would go with what seems to be the best option for me and you should do the same too instead of talking out of your ass.

Still you, because you came and made a belligerent post with a obviously aggressive username. Sprint offers free texting in India, as well as free 2g data. You can use free wifi and at the end of the day not have to fight the problem you are facing. Additionally this is clearly poor planning on your behalf, given you are trying to abuse a phone provider. Either you are a first time cell phone owner or ignorant to how everything works. All providers are the same, if you want an unlocked device buy it out right, if you cannot afford to buy it outright then plan better for your trips in the future. If the trip is work related make your employer pay for it, if it is pleasure then you most likely knew about it more than a month ago.

Good try at flipping it though!

Sprintsucks123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2017
NJ
I have no experience with swiftunlocks. I've never needed an unlock service.

However I know someone here on the forum who uses them a lot. Recently, he and a few others used them to unlock some Boost iPhone SE's on a promo before Boost got wise to the fact. They had no issues.
Can you please tag that person so that I could PM them for more info if possible?

Sprintsucks123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2017
NJ
Still you, because you came and made a belligerent post with a obviously aggressive username. Sprint offers free texting in India, as well as free 2g data. You can use free wifi and at the end of the day not have to fight the problem you are facing. Additionally this is clearly poor planning on your behalf, given you are trying to abuse a phone provider. Either you are a first time cell phone owner or ignorant to how everything works. All providers are the same, if you want an unlocked device buy it out right, if you cannot afford to buy it outright then plan better for your trips in the future. If the trip is work related make your employer pay for it, if it is pleasure then you most likely knew about it more than a month ago.

Good try at flipping it though!
Your argument is that there is free 2g data and texting? Lol. You don't get free WiFi everywhere in India (got that info from their subreddit) and calling is essential. Sprint's service is of no match to the local provider
The employee who was supposed to go pulled out at the very end and hence I opted to fill in when they were looking for someone else.
No doubt it was poor planning but until weeks ago, I would not have imagined travelling to a third world country.

Maybe it is abuse but hey they keep getting paid their monthly fee while I don't use their services.
[doublepost=1511977235][/doublepost]
@Applejuiced

AJ, Sprintsucks123 has asked me to tag you!
Thanks!

Reactions: eyoungren

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
@Applejuiced

AJ, Sprintsucks123 has asked me to tag you!

Yes, Sprint does suck :D
I pointed him to swiftunlocks but I dont see any Sprint iPhone unlocks listed there at the moment.
The prices and available carrier unlocks change constantly so he'll have to keep an eye out and stay in touch with him or check ebay etc...

Last edited:

Praesto

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
Your argument is that there is free 2g data and texting? Lol. You don't get free WiFi everywhere in India (got that info from their subreddit) and calling is essential. Sprint's service is of no match to the local provider
The employee who was supposed to go pulled out at the very end and hence I opted to fill in when they were looking for someone else.
No doubt it was poor planning but until weeks ago, I would not have imagined travelling to a third world country.

Maybe it is abuse but hey they keep getting paid their monthly fee while I don't use their services.
[doublepost=1511977235][/doublepost]
Thanks!

Fun fact: A third world country is a country that does not agree with NATO policy. Ironically with Trump as president, the US may in-fact turn into a 'third world country'. If your company doesn't provide a phone or service then maybe you should consider a new company. Either way, all service providers would give you the same answer. If you take out a loan from them to purchase your phone (which is what you are essentially doing). Then they hold a right to not unlock it until after they deem it necessary. Industry standards are what they are, and you can't change that. Why not just pay the phone off with a 0% APR for 1 year credit card and then have it unlocked? Unless you have poor credit, this would both solve your issue and allow you to cancel your service with Sprint. In other words, it would save you money and meet your needs.

raviraj1234

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2018
Would those work?

If you trying to claim phone as Lost while you are in India that doesn't work with sprint. Its Sprint property until you pay off its not yours. If you need to use it for any network you can by paying it off.

Reactions: BigPictureGuy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.