Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ej2zo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
Just need some assurance on something. I just recently got my 2 iphone 7’s unlocked by ATT. If I was to “erase all content and settings” on the iphones after the unlocking process, will the iphones become locked again? Is the unlocking from ATT permanent?

Thanks

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Just need some assurance on something. I just recently got my 2 iphone 7’s unlocked by ATT. If I was to “erase all content and settings” on the iphones after the unlocking process, will the iphones become locked again? Is the unlocking from ATT permanent?

Thanks
Unlock is permanent

Reactions: Applejuiced

EDH667

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Northern California
Thanks for the reply. Does this also apply to restoring an iphone to new via itunes? The unlock is forever permanent?
When a carrier unlocks an iPhone the IMEI number is added to a database of officially unlocked iPhones. That iPhone is permanently unlocked and will never revert to being locked. Even if you have that iPhone replaced under warranty by Apple the replacement phone will also be unlocked.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
You can punch in your IMEI here and it will tell you if your phone is unlocked. If it's in the database then it's permanently unlocked. Doesn't matter how many times you restore it or what SIM you put in it.

jkwic

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2017
You can punch in your IMEI here and it will tell you if your phone is unlocked.

Hey Chupa Chupa, do you still have that link handy? It didn't show up in the post. Id like to check my phone to see if im in the clear. Thanks.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Is this website safe? I am nervous of punching in my IMEI in case someone uses it to clone my phone or something...

Swappa is one of the premier sites for selling 2nd hand iDevices and other smart devices. Yes, they are legit. But if you want an extra layer of "security" you can go to any of the big cellcos and pretend to open an account as "bring your own." They will ask for your IMEI and tell you if you can bring your phone to their system. You only need to make sure your phone is technically compatible, i.e., if you have a GSM-only phone don't do this test at Verizon or Sprint.

Reactions: mtneer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.