Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

meeks

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 1, 2005
I currently have ATT (5S) for my main phone service. I have a iPad mini and an iPad Air both which are cellular. The mini is from Sprint at the Air is from ATT. The sprint iPad has a 6GB plan currently active and the ATT one has nothing. What I want to do is take the Sprint SIM and use it in the ATT iPad but that doesnt work. I was under the impression they were all unlocked. My iPhone 5S ATT SIM works fine in both tablets. Is there any thing I can do to get the Sprint SIM working with the ATT iPad Air? Thanks.

hungx

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2012
Davis, CA
I currently have ATT (5S) for my main phone service. I have a iPad mini and an iPad Air both which are cellular. The mini is from Sprint at the Air is from ATT. The sprint iPad has a 6GB plan currently active and the ATT one has nothing. What I want to do is take the Sprint SIM and use it in the ATT iPad but that doesnt work. I was under the impression they were all unlocked. My iPhone 5S ATT SIM works fine in both tablets. Is there any thing I can do to get the Sprint SIM working with the ATT iPad Air? Thanks.

All iPads are GSM unlocked and not CDMA unlocked, so you cannot use Sprint/Verizon on any other iPad besides a Sprint/Verizon one, respectively. Although all cellular iPads have the same model number and thus the same hardware, this issue is mostly due to carriers' restrictions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.