Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jessica08

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2015
Roll Tide
Will the iPad Pro's cellular version that Best Buy sells as wifi + unlocked work with Verizon or do I have to buy the one specifically for Verizon? The unlocked version is on sale right now, so that is why I wanted to ask.

TIA

808drums

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2017
Will the iPad Pro's cellular version that Best Buy sells as wifi + unlocked work with Verizon or do I have to buy the one specifically for Verizon? The unlocked version is on sale right now, so that is why I wanted to ask.

TIA
If it’s unlocked it will work

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Is there something like an operator locked ipad ??? ?
Sprint might be. At least they used to back when OG Air was released, iirc.

AT&T iPads will accept pre-activated physical SIM cards from other carriers but will not allow signing up for a new plan with another carrier via Settings - Cellular. The models with Apple Embedded SIM, the embedded SIM will only show plans for AT&T. These are technically unlocked and going through the automated device unlock page will tell you that the device is already unlocked. The problem is due to Carrier Visbility / Carrier Reveal policy and it's a bit of a crapshoot getting a CSR that can help with that. Might be the same situation with eSIM but I can't confirm.

Verizon iPads will accept pre-activated physical SIM cards from other carriers but will not allow signing up for a new plan with another carrier via Settings - Cellular. The models with Apple Embedded SIM have the embedded SIM completely disabled. The ones with eSIM, the eSIM will only work with Verizon (tried QR code for GigSky and it wouldn't accept it).

satinsilverem2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2013
Richmond, VA

AT&T iPads will accept pre-activated physical SIM cards from other carriers but will not allow signing up for a new plan with another carrier via Settings - Cellular. The models with Apple Embedded SIM, the embedded SIM will only show plans for AT&T. These are technically unlocked and going through the automated device unlock page will tell you that the device is already unlocked. The problem is due to Carrier Visbility / Carrier Reveal policy and it's a bit of a crapshoot getting a CSR that can help with that. Might be the same situation with eSIM but I can't confirm.

Verizon iPads will accept pre-activated physical SIM cards from other carriers but will not allow signing up for a new plan with another carrier via Settings - Cellular. The models with Apple Embedded SIM have the embedded SIM completely disabled. The ones with eSIM, the eSIM will only work with Verizon (tried QR code for GigSky and it wouldn't accept it).
Verizon always annoyed me when I found out they disabled the embedded SIM. I even ordered the physical Apple SIM and when I put it in the iPad it never showed up. They locked that one out too. I know there was a law back in the early days of LTE that Verizon couldn't lock their SIM phones or tablets to prevent people from switching carriers. When Apple came out with our iPads with the embedded SIM I'm sure they found a loophole since they weren't technically locking the sim tray but could disable the embedded SIM. Another reason why I'm glad I left them.

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)

Thank you.
Fortunately things in Europe are different (but prices are higher) and iPad are not operator locked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.