Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

b2387692

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2014
Hello all,
If unlocked iPhone 7 is bought and paid in full direct from Apple, what can be done on phone, with no sim card?

b2387692

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2014
Thanks!
Correct me, if I'm wrong but with no sim card, it's my understanding that I can still start and setup the phone without activating it with a carrier. I'll have no cellular data but will have internet connection, if connected to a hotspot or a local internet. Then, once I decide on a carrier, I'll get a sim card from them, to activate cellular data.

Reactions: Applejuiced

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks!
Correct me, if I'm wrong but with no sim card, it's my understanding that I can still start and setup the phone without activating it with a carrier. I'll have no cellular data but will have internet connection, if connected to a hotspot or a local internet. Then, once I decide on a carrier, I'll get a sim card from them, to activate cellular data.

You still need a sim card to activate it as far as I'm aware. You aren't activating it on a carrier since I think that inactive sim cards work but you need it to bypass the activation screen, which is one of the first steps. After this you can use it as you describe.

Last edited:
Reactions: Newtons Apple

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Thanks!
Sim free model with no sim just means that it does not include a SIM card and that you need your own. You still need a SIM card to get past the activation. You can insert a non working sim to get past this.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
You can activate it with any sim in the world.
Just put one in even if its old or deactivated. Then you will be able to get in the homescreen and you can use it as an ipod touch via wifi to download apps etc...

b2387692

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2014
@noobinator, @Shadowbech, @Applejuiced
Thanks!

I just got the new unlocked iPhone 7 and I'm preparing to make the following moves...
1) From BBRY Z10 (Micro SIM) to iPhone 7 (Nano SIM).
2) From TMUS prepaid thru 12/19/17 to Sprint "Bring Your Own Device - Free Unlimited For One Year.".
Sprint will overnight me a Nano SIM card for $2.99 ea. + $10 shipping & handling + tax.

I'd like to move my Z10 data, contacts, calendar, etc to the iPhone 7, but I'm having trouble backing up my Z10, because I can't seem to install Blackberry Link. That said, what, if any data is typically on a SIM? Also I'm hearing rumors that a Micro SIM can be cut down into a Nano SIM, without ruining it. Thoughts?

Reactions: Applejuiced

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
@noobinator, @Shadowbech, @Applejuiced
Thanks!

I just got the new unlocked iPhone 7 and I'm preparing to make the following moves...
1) From BBRY Z10 (Micro SIM) to iPhone 7 (Nano SIM).
2) From TMUS prepaid thru 12/19/17 to Sprint "Bring Your Own Device - Free Unlimited For One Year.".
Sprint will overnight me a Nano SIM card for $2.99 ea. + $10 shipping & handling + tax.

I'd like to move my Z10 data, contacts, calendar, etc to the iPhone 7, but I'm having trouble backing up my Z10, because I can't seem to install Blackberry Link. That said, what, if any data is typically on a SIM? Also I'm hearing rumors that a Micro SIM can be cut down into a Nano SIM, without ruining it. Thoughts?

Yes, you can cut down the sim. I have a few sim cutter tools that I purchased that cut the sim down perfect.
If any contacts are stored on that sim you can insert it to the iphone and go to settings/contacts/import sim contacts.

b2387692

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2014
Yes, you can cut down the sim. I have a few sim cutter tools that I purchased that cut the sim down perfect.
If any contacts are stored on that sim you can insert it to the iphone and go to settings/contacts/import sim contacts.
Thanks!
What, other than Contacts, can be saved to and then imported from SIM?
Are any files, data, settings, etc. lost, when a SIM card is removed?
What SIM cutter tools do you use?
Once cut, then I'll need an adapter, if I want to use the Z10...What's the best Nano to Micro SIM Adapter?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
94668429871386215339612iphone5001380550981141256345714542140121497623829.jpg

Thanks!
What, other than Contacts, can be saved to and then imported from SIM?
Are any files, data, settings, etc. lost, when a SIM card is removed?
What SIM cutter tools do you use?
Once cut, then I'll need an adapter, if I want to use the Z10...What's the best Nano to Micro SIM Adapter?

Yes, you can find sim cutters online and sim adapters also to bring it up to the bigger size again. They're pretty cheap on ebay.
If your old phone saves the contacts on the sim then you can import them to the iphone via the setting location I posted above. About the rest of your stuff from your old phone Im not really sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.