Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dwellsMBP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2011
As mentioned in the title, has anyone with a carrier other than Verizon tried activating their iPhone XS or XS Max purchased from Best Buy or another flex reseller using a Verizon SIM card? In the past, this would result in the phone becoming unlocked, at which point you could put in your carrier’s SIM and be good to go.

However, I’ve heard that Verizon has been making changes to their phone locking policies, so I’m curious if anyone can confirm they’ve tried this with the XS or XS Max today and had it work.

dwellsMBP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2011
In case anyone saw this and is wondering, it works. Did it today.

Bought the phone from Best Buy with AT&T financing, told them not to activate in store, took it home and activated with a Verizon SIM instead. The phone activated, connected to Verizon’s network, and then I popped my AT&T SIM and it works. Tried popping the Verizon SIM back in after that and confirmed the device remains unlocked.

So if you want to finance through AT&T or just buy a phone from Best Buy in general and want it unlocked, do the first time activation on a Verizon SIM. I got mine from eBay for $2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.