Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Slicktype

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 8, 2011
My nephew has a T-moble 6S and would like to use it with Metro PCS (cheaper plan). Are there any reputable unlocking sites currently ?

Thanks,

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Have you checked with T-Mobile to see if they would unlock it for him? T-Mobile owns Metro PCS and it might only be a matter of changing sim cards.

Slicktype

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 8, 2011
Have you checked with T-Mobile to see if they would unlock it for him? T-Mobile owns Metro PCS and it might only be a matter of changing sim cards.

Here's the catch. He just let me know that he doesn't have the 6s yet but will over the next few days. He wants to buy an iPhone 6s through apple (with monthly stallment plan) but use it with Metro.
Now thinking about it, I believe that you need a T-Mobile plan in order to purchase a T-Mobile iPhone correct?

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Now thinking about it, I believe that you need a T-Mobile plan in order to purchase a T-Mobile iPhone correct?

Yes, true. I'm on T-Mobile and when I purchased our 6s+ Apple requested my number and then accessed T-Mobile customer service direct and set the phone up including a T-Mobile sim card. Your nephew may be better off buying an unlocked 6s from Apple and then go to Metro PCS and get setup with them including a sim card. I believe Apple will only set up a new iPhone with the four main carriers. (AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, and T-Mobile) I might be wrong about that....

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
Read this thread. Metropcs prefers HSDPA devices and limits BYOD LTE devices on the $30 plan. You might want to try a real t-mobile sim instead. Maybe perhaps Net Talk Connect ? i got net talk connect from fat wallet. Its $100 for 5 months + binge on and music freedom and Canada Mexico with 10 gigs And then $45 afterwards.

If you go to the metro pcs page to get a SIM card, it stops at phone 5.

https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/3n71by/unlocked_iphone_6s_or_6_on_metro_pcs/

Slicktype

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 8, 2011
Update* I ended up taking him to the Apple Store and he ended up going with a month to
Month payment unlocked 6s.
Resolved! Thanks all for responses ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.