Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drugs!

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2007
yo, this is the determining factor to see if i should upgrade from my 1.33 powerbook

Basically, how does it perform with current games, and how you expect it to run with future releases (crysis, bioshock, cod modern warfare)

zeppelin68

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2007
here are some fps/screens that I took before. Settings for TDU were 1440x900, highest detail, 4x AA, no HDR.

TestDriveUnlimited2007-07-2208-22-4.jpg

TestDriveUnlimited2007-07-2208-21-5.jpg

TestDriveUnlimited2007-07-2208-22-1.jpg

And heres some Half life 2

hl22007-07-2208-31-24-95-1.jpg

hl22007-07-2208-36-28-09.jpg

hl22007-07-2208-34-07-15.jpg

drugs!

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2007
very nice,

now i know was fps means, however are the numbers you are getting relatively high?

azizane

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2006
hi
just wanted to report the games i played on my 2.16 core duo

1- f.e.a.r. and f.e.a.r. extraction point the expansion pack.
2- Swat 4 and swat 4's expansion pack.
3- Far cry.

I'm playing all these games with max settings and all of them are working great. If everything is fine with my 1st generation macbook pro, i can't imagine how powerful the new ones will be for gaming, specially since they have an nvidia graphics card. i say upgrade, don't hesitate you saw the screens!

drugs!

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2007
hi
just wanted to report the games i played on my 2.16 core duo

1- f.e.a.r. and f.e.a.r. extraction point the expansion pack.
2- Swat 4 and swat 4's expansion pack.
3- Far cry.

I'm playing all these games with max settings and all of them are working great. If everything is fine with my 1st generation macbook pro, i can't imagine how powerful the new ones will be for gaming, specially since they have an nvidia graphics card. i say upgrade, don't hesitate you saw the screens!

thats awesome, thanks for your reply

holybatfart

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2007
Johio
The MBP is quite a powerful machine for gaming and I haven't been disappointed yet with my 2.4GHz. And yes the FPS shown in the HL2 screens are damn good. Mine are higher but i dont have AA or AF on, just recommended settings at max res. All the Source games run great. BF2 settings are all high except resolution(doesn't support widescreen) and no AA. I'm also playing the World In Conflict beta which plays very smoothly at recommended settings. I love my :apple:MBP:apple: hehe

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
Tiberium Wars on a 2.2 ghz stock model

1440x900 no AA Ultra high settings

~20 fps and very playable

zeppelin68

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2007
very nice,

now i know was fps means, however are the numbers you are getting relatively high?

For Half life 2 they are high. For Test Drive Unlimited they are kind of on the low side but I'm running it on max settings except for HDR on the highest resolution for my laptop. Also, I haven't updated my graphics drivers so once I do that I will get more FPS. With a racing game it doesn't really have to be that high though. It runs pretty smooth.

Knolly

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2007
On my SR MBP Half Life 2 and Episode 1 both run beautifully at pretty much max settings (pretty much because the highest anisotropic settings brings down the FPS by a HUGE margin compared to the second best... anyone know why?).

FEAR and FEAR Extraction Point run like a charm too.

Those are the only games I've tried as of yet. Currently installing Neverwinter Nights 2 though, haha.

hammondc

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2007
Rock Hill, SC
yeah... I was wondering the same. I am planning on getting my MBP this Friday and was hoping to be able to continue to play BF2 via Bootcamp.

harveypooka

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2004
Are these being run using "BootCamp" or someother "windows" program?

Bill....

I'd imagine Bootcamp as you get better video performance by booting into Windows rather than running emulation software.

If you're a little confused as to what Bootcamp and other windows programs are, have a look here for Bootcamp and here and here for emulation programs.

azizane

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2006
Are these being run using "BootCamp" or someother "windows" program?

Bill....

yup under latest version of bootcamp, also said above it's the only way to run at native speed.

i have more games to test later:
HL: source
HL2
HL2: episode 1
counter strike: source.

Hmmm I just can't keep wondering if i could run crysis once it's released :/

Azzurri15

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2007
yup under latest version of bootcamp, also said above it's the only way to run at native speed.

i have more games to test later:
HL: source
HL2
HL2: episode 1
counter strike: source.

Hmmm I just can't keep wondering if i could run crysis once it's released :/

Crysis will make it cry. It's going to tax my 8800 GTX.

msharpmu

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2006
This may be a dumb question but when Leooperd comes out, will it come with bootcamp? Is it even a possibility? I just bought mbp SR and would love to play half life 2 on it. I have an old xp copy from my old toshiba (it does not have SP2). To run HL2, I will have to install bootcamp, download SP2, and install the game, right? How do you partition drives in OS ao that I can have windows partinioned off. Finally, is bootcamp free.

Thanks for all your help.

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2005
Oregon
This may be a dumb question but when Leooperd comes out, will it come with bootcamp? Is it even a possibility? I just bought mbp SR and would love to play half life 2 on it. I have an old xp copy from my old toshiba (it does not have SP2). To run HL2, I will have to install bootcamp, download SP2, and install the game, right? How do you partition drives in OS ao that I can have windows partinioned off. Finally, is bootcamp free.

Thanks for all your help.
Boot Camp only works with Service pack two. You'll have to find a tutorial about "slipstreaming" SP2 onto a new disc with XP.

Post or search in the Windows on Macs forum for that. :D

fr4c

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2007
Hamster wheel
tested out Oblivion today on High settings, and everything was running smoothly. Will try on Ultra-High tomorrow and see how it goes. btw when running on High the MBP stayed around 65-70 degrees Celsius.

lucero1148

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2006
bootcamp is free as its a beta version.

Installing bootcamp automatically partitions your drive into a separate 32GB section. Apple takes all the work out of setting it up, just follow the instructions and keep a blank cd on hand to burn the windows drivers it provides for you (although from what other users have commented the Mac version of these drivers aren't the greatest, but take that with a grain of salt and test it out).

My only problem was that I forgot to buy a copy of XP to install with bootcamp :( Haha! Will have to wait until I do to actually try out some windows games.
Patrick

Sic

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2005
Southampton UK
cool thread - nice one! I've played CSS, HL2 and Goldeneye Source on a 15" 2.4 (hopefully you know the rest ;)) on high and was getting 80-200 FPS - I'm very pleased.

Briefly tried STALKER, but it was a bit jittery on high - I'll have to have a play with the settings so I can get it how I like it.

Looking forward to trying FEAR, GTA:SA and Farcry. I didn't even know TDU was out on PC!

azizane

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2006
just wanted to mention that i have played both brothers in arms games on my mac and both of them are running gorgeously with high settings

azizane

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2006
actually it's a macbook PRO thread :), i have a 15" first generation macbook pro Core Duo

Nodnarb

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2007
Has anyone played Delta Force Black Hawk Down (mac version) on their macbook pro, or any intel mac for the matter? My dad and I are going to be getting new macbook pros and he plays that game religiously on his dell. I have it for my powerbook, but I wanted to know if it even works on the new macs. I can't find anything on this subject anywhere on web.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.