Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
That is fantastic. Did you get the kit lens or did you already have your own glass? What made you go with the d50 over the d70s or any canon model?

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
I'm still waiting for my Rebel XT lens to arrive at the local shop. The body's been there all week, memory card arrived a couple of days ago - just no news on the lens. Gutted. :(

I went for the Rebel XT based on size, it's considerably smaller/lighter than the D70 I played with in the shop.

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
jessica. said:
Did you get the kit lens or did you already have your own glass? What made you go with the d50 over the d70s or any canon model?

Came with an 18-55 f3.5-5.6 DX ED Nikon lens... Using lenses from my old collection ("D" lenses from an N90s)

Got the d50 because there is little to no difference between it and the D70s...

nobody shoots at 1/8000 of a second, and nobody triggers remote flash units with a built in flash unit. the d70 does this. if i'm using remote flashes, i'm using an sb800 anyway...

the d50 also has a new focus algorithim, and an udgraded sensor. less white balance adjustment, but i can live with it.

and it's smaller. battery charged now, gonna have some fun...

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
Maybe I can live vicariously through you for a bit.

I'm happy I didn't buy one... but it'd be fun.

numediaman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
Chicago (by way of SF)
Tis the season for buying D50's!

I unpacked my D50 this afternoon, as well. I'm very excited by the camera. I used to shoot an old 35mm Minolta and have waited a long time to buy my first digital camera. I knew I would be unhappy with the results unless I waited for the quality to improve.

Well, so far, I'm thrilled. This evening, shooting with the flash, I've noticed that the images are a little flat. But I use Photoshop, and a quick look at "levels" reveals that a certain adjustment needs to be made -- then the pictures pop.

I can sympathize with those struggling to decide about what camera to buy. If you are a pro you buy the most camera you can get for the money and don't look back. For everyone else, there is that nagging question: do I really want to spend this much money on a camera that will not put bread on the table?

I looked at the Lumix FZ30, the Canon and the Nikon. I also sneaked a peek at the new Olympus and Konica/Minolta offerings. You could argue until you are blue-in-the-face about which is best -- but no one can argue that the Nikon is garbage, right?

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
The nice thing about buying into the Nikon system is that you can use just about all of the lenses in their lineup, even the older ones, and that can be really nice. Sometimes you can pick up a good gently used lens for not that much money and it will help you expand your photographic vision.

OTB

andym172

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2003
UK
numediaman said:
You could argue until you are blue-in-the-face about which is best -- but no one can argue that the Nikon is garbage, right?

I doubt it could be argued that any d-SLR currently on the market is 'garbage'.

I'm a Canon man, but would never argue any of the Nikons to be garbage.

Have fun! :D

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Yeah, especially the D50. There are some sample photos out there that show that under some circumstances, the D50 has taken better photos than the D70s and Rebel XT. Some will say they're oversharp and too colour saturated, but I think the photos from the Rebel XT are dull, and the D70s isn't as good, generally. Maybe it's the new sensor used in the D50. Not sure.

Anyway, great choice, and good luck. I may join you in buying one of those, but for now, I'm going to have to use my new surfboard and justify the cost.....:eek:

numediaman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
Chicago (by way of SF)
The Canon vs. Nikon fighting seems a little more civil than the Mac vs. PC war. I would argue that while both sides could claim advantages, neither Nikon nor Canon lovers could claim that the other product crashes too often!

[My wife just received a new Dell laptop yesterday and she can't get some of her basic software to install properly. She turned to me and said "don't even think about saying it ... 'I should have got a Mac'."]

I have a question for those with a new DSLR: do you ever really get to know all these features?

rjphoto

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2005
numediaman said:
[My wife just received a new Dell laptop yesterday and she can't get some of her basic software to install properly. She turned to me and said "don't even think about saying it ... 'I should have got a Mac'."]

You should have said, "Didn't have to, you did."

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
numediaman said:
The Canon vs. Nikon fighting seems a little more civil than the Mac vs. PC war. I would argue that while both sides could claim advantages, neither Nikon nor Canon lovers could claim that the other product crashes too often!

I have a question for those with a new DSLR: do you ever really get to know all these features?

"Dude, you're gettin' a DULL!" :p....had to be said ;)

Generally speaking, with all new electronic purchases I make, I try to avoid the manual at all costs and learn the product as best I can before reading anything....this can get you into trouble, but it's usually pretty easy to spot what are simple surface-level changes and what are dangerous spots.

That said, after I fart around for a while, then after I play with the new product :rolleyes: I turn to the manual to get the in-depth feature break-down I'm confident I missed in my overview run. I'm still reading through my 20D manual, but I know most of the features and quick-cuts, although every few pages I do come across something I didn't know (although may never use). I just got a new flash too and that I know nothing about as I have never had a modern one with settings....so I'm reading that manual after about 10 minutes of play because I ran out of buttons to push that did anything :eek:

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
so... a little late with pictures... here's one from yesterday at the national botanical gardens...

Attachments

• DSC_0099.JPG
    DSC_0099.JPG
    205.1 KB · Views: 287

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
gwuMACaddict said:
so... a little late with pictures... here's one from yesterday at the national botanical gardens...

Bah! See... exactly. I don't need anything that nice.

:(

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
I am happy for you. I have been putting off purchasing even a P&S Digital Camera. I just recently checked to see if my old Nikon lenses would work w/a D50 and they most certainly do.

I hope that the Nikon will serve you well.

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
numediaman said:

I think the 80/20 rule applies (80% of the time, you'll only use 20% of the features), probably in no small part because whatever your favorite subjects are will tend to have common patterns and thus, call for similar treatment.

FWIW, this is an example that's "besides glass" as to why it can be good to stick with a particular company: in going through the documentation for my 20D, I was frequently saying to myself, "Okay, the same as how it worked on my old Elan...yup same, ok same, yup same..." As such, there were a lot of features that I already was essentially familar with, which got me a good leg up the learning curve.

-hh

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
-hh said:
I think the 80/20 rule applies (80% of the time, you'll only use 20% of the features), probably in no small part because whatever your favorite subjects are will tend to have common patterns and thus, call for similar treatment.

FWIW, this is an example that's "besides glass" as to why it can be good to stick with a particular company: in going through the documentation for my 20D, I was frequently saying to myself, "Okay, the same as how it worked on my old Elan...yup same, ok same, yup same..." As such, there were a lot of features that I already was essentially familar with, which got me a good leg up the learning curve.

-hh

80/20 is pretty accurate, especially if you settle into a specific realm/genre of shooting (portraits/macro/landscapes/etc). Most of the shots in a given genre result in using similar features/functions, albeit different settings depending on the situation.

As far as a learning curve for new equipment, I personally found my Nikon D70 and my Canon 20D to be quite similar is usage and function (from a user aspect). Although Nikon has the 8-way button for menus and Canon uses the wheel (and 8-way joystick for zoom manip.) I found them both quite easy to use. I'm usually decent with electronic stuff, so getting used to the 20D so fast wasn't a huge surprise....and although the D70 and 20D were quite similar, they were also vastly different. The button combos were almost all different to change 'advanced' functions (ie not surface-level quick-change stuff).

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Congrats! I just got my D50 yesterday. Will take it out for a spin at the Dulles-A&S tomorrow. Borrowed a couple of lenses till my 18-200VR comes in this week I hope.

The D50 is my European travel kit. My Canon XT will remain being my primary at this time. Only time will tell if I join the "darkside" fully. <g>

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
What type of deal did you get on it, Chip?

I'm going down to the CordCamera to look more closely at the deals.. the photo printer rebate runs out of the 7th and I plan to take advantage of it.

:)

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
cr2sh said:
What type of deal did you get on it, Chip?

I'm going down to the CordCamera to look more closely at the deals.. the photo printer rebate runs out of the 7th and I plan to take advantage of it.

I work for a DC reseller, so deals don't count much. I did buy it now so as to take advantage of the Epson rebates on the PictureMate.

Some may wonder why with a great Canon kit, did I do the Nikon D50. Simply put, with at least two or three European trips planned for this year I wanted a general purpose camera and lens that was light weight.

Our Nikon rep came by with a 18-200VR a few weeks ago. I was blown away! The VR II is so much better than even the latest IS from Canon IMO. I was able to get down to 1/15th of a second at 200mm with the Nikkor. I did play with the Canon 24-105L IS, and I was only able to get to about 1/30. The sharpness on the few images that we did get to print out was surprising for such an extreme zoom from Nikon. Add to that Canon does not yet offer a 18-200 IS lens. Nor do they offer a fisheye lens.

The fisheye lens from Nikon (the 10.5) was sort of the icing on the cake. With Nikon Capture, I will have the ability to correct for the distortion of the fisheye lens. I am also looking forward to seeing how the Dust Reference Image feature of Capture works out.

The first half of the year or so will tell me more as to whether I keep both systems (keeping in mind, I look at cameras as tools. As such I don't see a problem in having "Craftsman" and "insert your preferred tool name here" in the shop).

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Chip NoVaMac said:
I work for a DC reseller, so deals don't count much. I did buy it now so as to take advantage of the Epson rebates on the PictureMate.

Some may wonder why with a great Canon kit, did I do the Nikon D50. Simply put, with at least two or three European trips planned for this year I wanted a general purpose camera and lens that was light weight.

Our Nikon rep came by with a 18-200VR a few weeks ago. I was blown away! The VR II is so much better than even the latest IS from Canon IMO. I was able to get down to 1/15th of a second at 200mm with the Nikkor. I did play with the Canon 24-105L IS, and I was only able to get to about 1/30. The sharpness on the few images that we did get to print out was surprising for such an extreme zoom from Nikon. Add to that Canon does not yet offer a 18-200 IS lens. Nor do they offer a fisheye lens.

The fisheye lens from Nikon (the 10.5) was sort of the icing on the cake. With Nikon Capture, I will have the ability to correct for the distortion of the fisheye lens. I am also looking forward to seeing how the Dust Reference Image feature of Capture works out.

The first half of the year or so will tell me more as to whether I keep both systems (keeping in mind, I look at cameras as tools. As such I don't see a problem in having "Craftsman" and "insert your preferred tool name here" in the shop).

Yeah, I was gonna ask you why you got a D50 when they're on such similar levels, but I guess you sort of have it figured out.

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
Anyone have thoughts on buying a D70 (not s) versus the D50. I've been seeing a few over on Nikonaians for sale, body only cheap... wondering if it'd be a better image. Looking over at dpreview it doesn't appear to... but before I buy the D50 tonight I thought I'd ask.

Thanks.

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
gwuMACaddict said:
Got the d50 because there is little to no difference between it and the D70s...

nobody shoots at 1/8000 of a second, and nobody triggers remote flash units with a built in flash unit. the d70 does this. if i'm using remote flashes, i'm using an sb800 anyway...

LOL .... actually i shot a photo AT 1/8000 of a second, at ISO 1600 at F/2.8

AND i've remote triggered the sb 600 using the built in flash unit when i needed a quick and dirty set up a few times on location.

although, i purchased my D70 two months after it came out so there was no D70s or D50 to choose from
plus the sub command dial for adjusting aperture and main command dial for shutter speed is important to me when i ski, less having to remove gloves to push buttons like.

someone mentioned they liked the Rebel Xt better then the D70s because of size ... that's the exact reason i don't like that Rebel ... to small, fealt uncomfortable to hold for me

, i wish the D70 had a battery grip to make it even bigger

edit -- but not a THIRD party grip

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.