Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does typing on your iOS 14/15 device feel a little out of whack, too?

• Total voters

Reggaenald

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 26, 2021
I’ve noticed since iOS 14 that when I type on my iPhone 11 Pro, it’s rather unpleasant, because there’s the slightest of delays every time I hit a button. I’ve the suspicion that Slide to Type might be the reason why, since it only started being like this since its introduction.
I like that feature too much to turn it off, but wanted to ask if someone else has this feeling of lag when using the keyboard, too.

Last edited:

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
I have no lag at all with slide to type turned on. But if you suspect slide to type, have you tried turning it off to see if it changes anything (even though you want to keep it on)?

Reactions: NoGood@Usernames

Reggaenald

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 26, 2021
I have no lag at all with slide to type turned on. But if you suspect slide to type, have you tried turning it off to see if it changes anything (even though you want to keep it on)?
I am currently trying that, and it seems to be a lot better. Still, not like it was with iOS 13 or prior or with my iPhone 10, but better. What a shame.
The lag actually gives me a slight headache, which is why I hate to type on my iPhone “nowadays”.

Reggaenald

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 26, 2021
Key taps sounds turned on slows down the works a bit.
Wow, that’s strange but good to know. Thanks.
Luckily for my sanity and everyone around me I’m not one of the folks that has keyboard sounds enabled and I hate that it’s on by default. Haptic feedback would be nice, but I hate to bear witness to someone else’s business. Every time I get to meet someone or witness a friend has this on I talk to them about it, it’s just annoying. Anyway, rant over, again, good to know, thank you ??

Reggaenald

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 26, 2021
Update, with Slide to Type turned off it’s a whole lot better, almost no delay whatsoever. But, man, it’s a great feature. Maybe I’ll fill out a report although I don’t see it going anywhere.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I "feel" like I'm missing keys more than usual, however that could just be me.

What is infuriating is autocorrecting correctly spelled words to another word. I use the word "well" from time to time (ex. Well we could do that although......". Autocorrect will change that to We'll if not every time its very close too it. Also its learned from my mistypes to change the word "and" to "abs".

I tired turning off autocorrect how without a focused effort my text look like I'm illiterate.

Anyone do anything about this or is it just a deal with it sort of thing?

Reactions: Reggaenald

Reggaenald

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 26, 2021
I "feel" like I'm missing keys more than usual, however that could just be me.

What is infuriating is autocorrecting correctly spelled words to another word. I use the word "well" from time to time (ex. Well we could do that although......". Autocorrect will change that to We'll if not every time its very close too it. Also its learned from my mistypes to change the word "and" to "abs".

I tired turning off autocorrect how without a focused effort my text look like I'm illiterate.

Anyone do anything about this or is it just a deal with it sort of thing?
Feel your pain, I also get a feeling I’m missing characters a lot. Theres also nothing you can do about the autocorrect messing with stuff, apart from typing very carefully. There’s another (typing this it corrected to amother …) thread here talking about how AC has gotten worse for years. To feel less alone, you can read a little from it ?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Feel your pain, I also get a feeling I’m missing characters a lot. Theres also nothing you can do about the autocorrect messing with stuff, apart from typing very carefully. There’s another (typing this it corrected to amother …) thread here talking about how AC has gotten worse for years. To feel less alone, you can read a little from it ?

Just dawned on me, why don't I just use a different keyboard? Duh....

TBH I dont know if I feel like getting used to this but I'll give it a shot...

Reactions: Reggaenald

Reggaenald

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 26, 2021

Just dawned on me, why don't I just use a different keyboard? Duh....

TBH I dont know if I feel like getting used to this but I'll give it a shot...
Good suggestion, I’ll give it a try, too.

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
Yes the annoying full stop always gets in the way when I type in safari

Blue Hawk

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2017
Germany
Wow. No one mentioned that Gboard was updated a week ago after over a year.

With the iOS keyboard it's not easy to type to a notification at the Lockscreen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.