Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ru-e

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2017
Sweden
I just got my iphone 13, and I hate the screen. I have been using iphone X for 4 years. I have never hold any other iphone during this time. And now when I got the 13, I'm so disappointed! It feels inferior to iphone X. I compare the screens side by side and the 13 screen looks, weird. When I read texts etc on the screen, its like the text is bleeding somewhat? It looks a bit blurry? Something is seriously wrong with the glass Apple has used on iphone 13!

Also the feel of the phone in ones hand is bad aswell, I hate it so much! The design of the phone is so, flat. The iphone 5SE was flat like this but that was a small phone, the 13 is so much bigger and the flat design/screen just does not look or feel good, how did they even believe this was a good idea?!

I was suppose to give away my Iphone X to my mom (she is on iphone 5SE). But now I have doubts. Either I have to return this 13, or give it to my mom. All my dreams of a newer phone is shattered?

ru-e

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2017
Sweden
Return it and get something else.
There is nothing else for me at this point. I'm to used to iphones. So its either my X or no phone I guess.. I'm more curious if someone else have issues with the screen? It is seriously blurry and gives me an eye strain. The X is Oled screen aswell and never had any issues with it so its not Oled related

John981

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2017
There is nothing else for me at this point. I'm to used to iphones. So its either my X or no phone I guess.. I'm more curious if someone else have issues with the screen? It is seriously blurry and gives me an eye strain. The X is Oled screen aswell and never had any issues with it so its not Oled related
Um, just get another iPhone?

You can either buy a different 13 and hope yours has just been a faulty unit, or simply buy a leftover older phone (11, 12, SE).

What you‘re describing doesn‘t sound normal to me, though. I went from the X to the 13 Pro and to me it‘s been an improvement in every way.

ru-e

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2017
Sweden
Um, just get another iPhone?

You can either buy a different 13 and hope yours has just been a faulty unit, or simply buy a leftover older phone (11, 12, SE).
Leftover phone? Why would someone buy a leftover?

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
I just got my iphone 13, and I hate the screen. I have been using iphone X for 4 years. I have never hold any other iphone during this time. And now when I got the 13, I'm so disappointed! It feels inferior to iphone X. I compare the screens side by side and the 13 screen looks, weird. When I read texts etc on the screen, its like the text is bleeding somewhat? It looks a bit blurry? Something is seriously wrong with the glass Apple has used on iphone 13!

Also the feel of the phone in ones hand is bad aswell, I hate it so much! The design of the phone is so, flat. The iphone 5SE was flat like this but that was a small phone, the 13 is so much bigger and the flat design/screen just does not look or feel good, how did they even believe this was a good idea?!

I was suppose to give away my Iphone X to my mom (she is on iphone 5SE). But now I have doubts. Either I have to return this 13, or give it to my mom. All my dreams of a newer phone is shattered?
did you ask about these complaints where you bought it?
the feel isn't anything that can be changed but if there's something wrong with the phone, that can be determined.

ru-e

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2017
Sweden
did you ask about these complaints where you bought it?
the feel isn't anything that can be changed but if there's something wrong with the phone, that can be determined.
Thank you for the reply. I did not buy it in store. It was sent to me via my phone carrier. I would not take these issues up with them as it will be challenging enough to return it open even though we have good consumer rights. Never had to return a phone so dunno. There are no Apple stores near where I live either so I cant't speak with Apple people or test other iphones.

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
Thank you for the reply. I did not buy it in store. It was sent to me via my phone carrier. I would not take these issues up with them as it will be challenging enough to return it open even though we have good consumer rights. Never had to return a phone so dunno. There are no Apple stores near where I live either so I cant't speak with Apple people or test other iphones.
did you talk to tech service at the carrier that you bought it from?

Reactions: metapro

Yogosans14

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2017
North Carolina
Looks exactly the same To me as my XS did, just brighter. I remember when I got the iPhone XR and had to immediately return it for the XS because the resolution was so low and text look blurry.

Reactions: ru-e

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
You still have options. You can opt for the LCD iPhone 11, or you can try find to find the iPhone 11 Pro. The carrier might still have some.

I'm going to guess that the iPhone 12 will have the same screen as the 13.

Jake3231

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2021
You could look at refurbished XS or 11 Pro phones also. They would be very similar to the X but with some nice improvements.

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
No one I know shares your concerns. Either you just don’t like it, have the settings all screwed up, or have a defective unit. By any measure they are improvements over the X (which I still have and love)

Hombre53

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2018
Just an Fyi. Yesterday Apple was selling refurbed iPhone X and XS in various sizes and prices. Just checked again, and apparently are sold out. The "X" was priced at $499 for a 64gb model. Keep checking in the next few weeks and you might be able to land one again. I have an "X" and love it.

Reactions: ru-e and mizzourah

ru-e

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2017
Sweden
After some google I find out I am not alone. I have seen several complaints about something they call text with "ghosting" effect and thats exactly what I am experiencing with the 13. The text has a weird ghosting cast to it. Some call it "fuzzy" but ghost is more correct in my case.

ru-e

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2017
Sweden
I
Just an Fyi. Yesterday Apple was selling refurbed iPhone X and XS in various sizes and prices. Just checked again, and apparently are sold out. The "X" was priced at $499 for a 64gb model. Keep checking in the next few weeks and you might be able to land one again. I have an "X" and love it.
Thank you! But I don't live in Usa:) I won't need a new Iphone X, mine is in great condition!

ru-e

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2017
Sweden
Because an iPhone 11 has the rounded case you prefer, and costs less than an iPhone 13, and Apple still makes them, so it's not a leftover, just an older model, and comes with a full warranty
But the 11 does not have an Oled screen?

ru-e

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2017
Sweden
Thank you everyone who replied. I'm not searching for a new phone, my X is in great shape. I wil send the 13 back and keep using my X.

Edit; cross that, I ended up keeping it and I now enjoy it as it is!

Last edited:

bingeciren

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
I've recently switched from X to 13 Pro. To be honest, the screens look no different to me. With the exception of the camera, X is still a very capable phone. I even put both of them side by side and launched Apps for the first time to check the speed difference. There is a 1 to 2 second difference in speed but nothing to write home about it.

To make matters worse, 13 Pro feels like a 2x4 compared to X. If the camera is not important for you, you can hang on to your X for a few more years.

ru-e

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2017
Sweden
Upon more side by side comparisons of the 13 vs the X, I can see that the 13 has a crazy reflective screen! (also the screen of the 13 is very less light even on highest effect?!)

This /reflections) might add to the "cast" experience I got, I'm not sure. Maybe this (the reflections) can be reduced by using a screen protector? I have never used screen protectors although I bought a zagg invisible shield elite+ for the 13. I have not applied it to the screen yet of course bc I might send it back

ru-e

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2017
Sweden
I've recently switched from X to 13 Pro. To be honest, the screens look no different to me. With the exception of the camera, X is still a very capable phone. I even put both of them side by side and launched Apps for the first time to check the speed difference. There is a 1 to 2 second difference in speed but nothing to write home about it.

To make matters worse, 13 Pro feels like a 2x4 compared to X. If the camera is not important for you, you can hang on to your X for a few more years.
Please see my text above, I posted exactly when you posted:p. Do you see how the 13 has a more reflective screen? Hold both phones in your hands and raise them tilted up the way you would usually use your phone. Also the lightness, the 13 even when you crank it up to the highest effect it never becomes as light as the X?!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.