Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
There is Unreal Engine and Unity.

I've always been interested in computer graphics, played with it early in my life, and then let it slide. Recently, I kind of got a wild hair. Any experts here? My intent is to create a limited environment with a theme, like a secluded grotto, pond, waterfall, balcony overlooking with secret hideaway in side of a cliff, that you can walk through.

Can you do all of the things, terrain, plants, and architecture within the Unreal Engine and Unity or do you need 3rd party stuff? I was shocked to find that all the stuff for it seems to be free as far as learning.
Thanks in advance!

Reactions: ak-78

Flint Ironstag

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2013
Houston, TX USA
I'm in a similar boat. Need to learn this stuff to design a building. Catch is, will be designing on Mac to view in VR on PC.

Gonna stick with Unity since Unreal = Epic.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I'm in a similar boat. Need to learn this stuff to design a building. Catch is, will be designing on Mac to view in VR on PC.

Gonna stick with Unity since Unreal = Epic.
We’ll I’ve been love with the Unreal Engine for a long time from a gamer perspective and I’ll say this, it is very polished, there are good tutorials to get your started. It’s free to use, you sign a licensing agreement, personal, or commercial, the latter requires agreement that Epic gets 5% of any profits, and there are many tutorials there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.