Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iAppleOrchard

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 19, 2022
Colorado
Greetings! As a developer beta tester for Apple, I had the ability to test iOS 16 on June 6 - Present day.

Now I would like to talk about the big feature of iOS 16, unsending and editing messages.

I was really looking forward to this feature, until I saw that editing and unending for me does not work at all.

Here is a test message that I sent to my mother:

My Phone​

My mothers phone​

1663041048694.png

1663041106730.png
As you can see, the unsent message won't unsend on her side!
(If you are wondering what other devices she has, an iPad mini 2 is linked to her account that she barely uses)

This is already a horrible problem that I can see be widespread issue.
Now, she is able to unsend messages to me, but not to my Mac, which brings me to my second complaint.

You can't unsend messages on smooth macOS or iPadOS (Yet)​

You heard that right, iPadOS and macOS did not get this feature as iPadOS 16 and macOS Ventura got delayed.
unknown.png

Because of this, my mother unsent this. (She was just testing the feature)
What Apple could of done was add this feature to iPadOS 15.7 and macOS 12.6; at least on the supported devices of the next generation.

It unsent on my phone and watch, but not my Mac on my primary volume.
(And my iPad has iPadOS 16 Beta)

This feature is very flawed.
Also, Apple has been very strict with software support this year.

I have friends with:
- iPhone 7
- MacBook Air 2015
- MacBook Air 2017 (And I have a lot of friends with this laptop)

Something in common with all of these devices is that they don't support iOS 16 or macOS Ventura.
I can see all these users using these devices for a few more years.

And some of my friends don't even update their Macs to the latest version of macOS.
(I can name 4 people in my contacts that I chat with on a daily basis that don't update an M1 MacBook!!)

While I could ask them to update, I don't really want to annoy these people to update/upgrade their Macs.

Anyone else having similar issues with the unsending and editing messages feature?

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
I haven't tested it yet b/c the main phone I can test with (my wife's), I'm hesitant to update, as she'll hate the cluster that is the new lockscreen.

Sorry for the dumb question, but is it safe to assume your mother's phone was updated to iOS 16? If so, is the issue that she also has the iPad Mini 2?

thislsmadness

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2014
Yeah, unfortunately there was always bound to be an ugly transition. Other chat apps will just drop support entirely for older devices/force users to upgrade to continue using them, but thats not really an option for Apple for obvious reasons. Its annoying now but it'll work itself out over time.

Reactions: Ntombi
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.