Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rothnd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
Hello all. I am using some 3rd party software that is unsigned on my Mac. The developer’s install notes say to self-sign it with: codesign --force --deep -s - /Applications/AppName.app && xattr -rd com.apple.quarantine /Applications/AppName.app

This works fine except I’m getting double permissions requests. Once on initial start and again (same request) on handling/moving a file from my Downloads folder. This is despite giving the app Full Disk Access. Any ideas? Am I missing something? Thanks!

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Apple’s support page “If you want to open an app that hasn’t been notarized or is from an unidentified developer”https://support.apple.com/HT202491

If you are sure that the app is not malware, you can remove the quarantine attribute, then sign it.
Code:
xattr -rd com.apple.quarantine /Applications/AppName.app

Code:
codesign --force --deep --sign - /Applications/AppName.app

codesign documentation
https://developer.apple.com/library...l/CodeSigningGuide/Procedures/Procedures.html
https://keith.github.io/xcode-man-pages/codesign.1.html

If it is publicly available, please share the link for that app.

Last edited:
Reactions: jdb8167

rothnd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
Hello all. I am using some 3rd party software that is unsigned on my Mac. The developer’s install notes say to self-sign it with: codesign --force --deep -s - /Applications/AppName.app && xattr -rd com.apple.quarantine /Applications/AppName.app

This works fine except I’m getting double permissions requests. Once on initial start and again (same request) on handling/moving a file from my Downloads folder. This is despite giving the app Full Disk Access. Any ideas? Am I missing something? Thanks!
Thanks for the pretty organization of the commands I already stated I use.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
I’ve just tried Radarr in Sonoma and Apple’s instructions work, no need for Terminal commands.
“you can control-click the app, choose Open from the menu, then click Open in the dialog that appears.”

If Full Disk Access doesn’t work as expected for an app, you could reset it from Terminal for the app or for all the apps, then grant the permission again.

Reset for Radarr
Code:
tccutil reset SystemPolicyAllFiles com.osx.radarr.video

reset for all apps that have been granted Full Disk Access
Code:
tccutil reset SystemPolicyAllFiles

rothnd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
No kidding? That is very nice! And very appreciated!
So the usual right-click truck will handle ordinary opening/running - what about the oddities of app updates? The updates seem to go through but they fail when trying to restart the app..

Last edited:

rothnd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
Also, just so I understand you, these terminal commands - specifically the one that says to ‘sign’ it - that’s not necessary if the secondary open thing works?

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
The updates seem to go through but they fail when trying to restart the app..
Do the apps auto-update? Just right-click & open the app after the update.
Also, just so I understand you, these terminal commands - specifically the one that says to ‘sign’ it - that’s not necessary if the secondary open thing works?
Yes, the Terminal commands are not necessary, just right-click & open the app.
I’ve just tried Lidarr in Sonoma 14.3 and it works in this way.
And you don’t have to give Full Disk Access to the app. Use the “Add Root Folder” menu to select the media folder(s). If required, you will be asked to give permission for access.

rothnd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
Do the apps auto-update? Just right-click & open the app after the update.
They should but I can't seem to get it to go through. Thanks for looking at this! Here's some 'extra' instructions if you want to research the update mechanism.
Radarr for example. When you download from the servarr wiki you're getting the 'master' branch. If you install this and then go into Settings<General (Show Advanced at top) you can change the Branch to something updated more frequently e.g. nightly, click save, go to System<Updates, this page will tell you what's new/version/etc. You should be able to just click a button to update from there but when I do it gets to its last stage (restarting) and doesn't do the restart so the update doesn't take.

rothnd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
Yea I'm aware how to do the manuals 👍. Just trying to 'automate' this supposedly 'automated' software.

rothnd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
IMG_0473.png
Ah. I see. Yes it’s known, I’ve been all over the discord for this kind of stuff. I noticed this (attached picture). What do you think of running this command for the suggested ‘self-sign’? Looks like this command is more like yours (—sign) but is directed inside the app instead of the ‘whole’ app.. Is this what you mean when you say ‘ad-hoc signing’? Thank you!

rothnd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
And, I'm not saying it 'known' to be a jerk. Just saying that Mac stuff is not given much attention on their end. Every time I bring it up on the discord I get "well get better hardware'...

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
The updated components are not signed and may lead to errors.
I think you should re-sign after every update the whole app, not just the executable as in the image.
Code:
codesign --force --deep --sign - /Applications/Radarr.app
Don’t use sudo, as it might fail to update.

rothnd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
Sounds like sound advice! I’ll let ya know if I see anything odd down the road. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.