Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heatguts58

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
so to start off, i have had my black macbook for 12 whole days, the first week everything was awesome; love the macbook, but starting i would say after the first week my airport in the macbook was unstable i should say? every so often when i was using ichat it would get that annoying timeout error and obviously my internet would stop working so i would stop what i was doing and turn off the airport and within half a minute turn it on again and everything would be fine, the problem arises maybe every few hours? i really do not keep a time log.

i used to think it was the routers fault and doing a whole hard reboot to the router and i find out that didnt work so i figured restarting my airport worked. but i cant keep always doing that.

well today just now it happened again, and was just annoyed and actually thought about, why is this happening? is it really the router? or the airport in my macbook? so i grabbed my sisters powerbook and found out her internet was working. i was actually hoping it was really the router so i could find some excuse to buy those cool new time capsules. im afraid now i might have to deal with the genius bar...

does anyone else have this problem? is it a common macbook problem i havent read about or what? if no answers to any of that, do you mind giving me tips on how to deal with the genius bar? i have never dealt with them with a computer related problem, only ipod and it wasnt the best service.

cyclingplatypus

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2007
Earth
I have an interesting hypothesis on this as I have it happen to me as well, mine started after an 10.4.x update (I thought that 10.5 fixed it but found out otherwise) but I think I have finally solved it. I found that I'd be fine working until something else connected wirelessly to my router, so what I did was turned my Airport Express into an extension of my network and an individual access point that only my MB uses, it fixed the problem and my assumptions were proven correct (in my case) when I tried attaching something else wirelessly to the Airport Express and my MB immediately disconnected.

Is it ideal for everyone to set up a second wireless network? Not really but if you happen to have a AE or any other wireless router sitting around give it a shot and see if it works for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.