Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 28, 2007
Help.

This has been happening tonight.

Seems like everytime I open firefox/camino/safari; they all crash/stalled with the balloon ball spinning all the time. Sometimes my entire system freezes.

The weird thing is that I can open and run other Non-web browser programs like iTunes, MS Word, Adobe Acrobat, Adobe Photoshop fine while the web browsers are still spinning and not responding.

I tried to do some research and installed the Leopard Cache Cleaner but that did not help

My macbook is only 1 week old and it's got 4GB of RAM. It's not a memory problem because the Activity monitor says I have more than 3GB of RAM available. I am not running any thing else.

I have Mac OS 10.5.2. The only software I've installed is MS Office 2k8, Adobe CS3 Design Premium.

I really do not want to do a clean install at this point.

Emrtr4

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2006
no ****? Exact same thing has been happening to me, like no joke. Each browser I have. I did the firmware update for the keyboard and that seemed to resolve it but now my internal keyboard is on the fritz. Wtf is going on?

mleibowi

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2008
I'm having the same issues. Just got a macbook, installed 4gb of memory. Espn and other 'commercial' websites are causing my macbook to freeze. WTF? I'm a mac newbie, first one. Didn't expect this issue!!!

nl2134

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2006
This is totally happening to me also!

I have a brand new Penryn BlackBook...and a day ago, all those intensive websites were working, and now, they're not.

I even downloaded Camino to see if it'd work, and of course, it doesn't...

mleibowi

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2008
Today, I the same sites that caused safari to freeze didn't? Not sure why this happening. Any thoughts? Also, my fan seems to running audibly loud!

Pacer69

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2008
Today, I the same sites that caused safari to freeze didn't? Not sure why this happening. Any thoughts? Also, my fan seems to running audibly loud!

On the fan thing, see if something is in your print queue...trying to print at a printer that's not connected, not turned on, not on your network, etc. Someone else posted on fan noise and that was the problem. Delete the job, the non-existing printer, etc. if that's the issue.

Anybody else having this browser issue on your new Penryn MacBook? Sounds like it went away...

Pacer69

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2008
It may be a weird Flash error that was wreaking havoc across all Macs the other day. I posted this to another thread here about ESPN causing browser crashes on their page and even on others. There is also a hefty discussion here: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1431695

Seems like the problem went away on its own for many users. If not for you, this was the gist of the solutions:

1. Restart your computer. If that alone doesn't fix it...

2. Try this:

1) Reboot
2) Open Safari (and I'd assume this "Empty Cache" trick applies to other browsers)
3) Click Safari, Empty Cache
4) Open ESPN.com

3. And if those don't work:
Go to Safari (or Camino) preferences, and un-check the box that says "enable plugins". You can go to all of those sites without the spinning beachball.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.